Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get free products of their choosing (in 127 reviews)

• Free products each month to try plus an excellent employee discount (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and the manager isn't the best person (in 68 reviews)

• I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth (in 62 reviews)

"Learning experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They teach you A LOT. They do trainings every month and if you ever get anything new, you'll know everything about it.
    You'll know that store in and out. It's great.
    Flexible schedule
    Fun place to work
    You get free products of their choosing. It's so that you can give an honest opinion on the product, making it more personable for the customer. It was actually a really neat thing they did.

Cons

The hours aren't consistent
    Some weeks it's 30+, some it's 12-20 for no reason
    Not everyone gives the customer professional advice, instead giving home remedies that often times backfire.

Advice to Management

Don't hire every winged eyeliner wearing purple haired girl that applies. Be intentional in your selections.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A paycheck which is minimal

Cons

Company is Horrible and does not take care of its managers

Advice to Management

Show respect for loyal employees with Money we deserve!

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free monthly products are awesome. Most customers are really nice. Sally's gives education on products/hair color (there are pros and cons to this) The only way to REALLY know about the products is to have used the products or ask customers what they thought. This helps a ton. This job is a lot easier if you have had beauty school experience because customers are VERY demanding. Literally, they expect you to give them a full color consult, walk them through every little step, and expect you to tell them exactly what their hair will turn out as. That can be difficult if you're not familiar with the products or difficult if you don't have prior experience.
    Your particular store experience will depend on your management. Some managers are great while some are terrible. Being as it is such a tiny store, who your management is and how they treat their employees will play a key factor in your happiness working at Sally Beauty.
    Vacation is nice because after you've worked at the store for a year you get a healthy amount of vacation. Vacation hours are earned based on how many hours you work!

Cons

Some customers are VERY rude. If you do not tell them exactly what they want to hear, they get snappy. A lot of people who do at home hair color don't understand the processes you have to go through to keep the hair safe and no matter how many times you explain it, they just don't want to accept what you're saying. This is insanely frustrating at times. The pay used to be good but in the last year or so, with minimum wage spikes, the company has refused to compensate employees for the past raises they've earned. Speaking from PERSONAL experience, they have refused to compensate me for my raises as well as refusing to compensate me for having beauty school/salon experience. When I started in 2014, associates with beauty school/cosmo experience for higher wages for having experience. I'm not really sure why corporate decided to take that away. It's very frustrating. It makes wanting to go to work very hard.
    As I was saying in the pros section... your management will definitely make or break your experience at the store.

Advice to Management

Sally Beauty needs to focus on the Sales Associates, Assistant Managers, and Store Managers happiness and PAY. Really need to rethink their pay system because the VALUABLE employees with experience are not getting paid fairly and it makes for unhappy associates. They are the people who make the money for the people at the top. If it weren't for us, they would have no money.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot. The customers were sometimes a hassle but they good customers would make my day. Getting to talk to them and make friends was truly nice. I would go back maybe if they changed some things.

Cons

Favoritism , cooperate didn't pay my manager enough and she deserved way more with everything she did for the company.

Advice to Management

Handle conflict better then sending someone home on hear say and then ask them to come in and talk. Espically when the girl you defended threatens customers and is racist AND in a group message threatened the other workers. Great job Sallys! I think you let the wrong one go. I did everything for my manager and was there for her when she needed someone most ALWAYS. Yes I was struggling at the end but that is no excuse for the way I was treated.

"DL"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your entire team is stressed out this company was great up until 6 years ago. Every person that tried to do by this company has had there position eliminated so the new CEO could place friends in those spots.

Cons

Don't take any position from this company. Changes are made Dailey so you never know what's right or wrong and no one knows who is in charge of what area. Registers are always going down customers are mad because they have to wait and company refuses to fix the problem.

Advice to Management

No job security. Changes and positions eliminated with out notice. Over worked and underpaid. Be prepared to give up any family life for this demanding job.

6. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beauty industry is always fun and Sally's is #1 with current beauty trends. Environment is fast pace with great reward incentive programs to motivate staff. The company is very huge on success recognition and internal promotions.

Cons

A lot of travel and long hours, especially during holidays

7. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discounts, good discounts discounts

Cons

Under paid, rude customers, poor management,

8. "A good place to work."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A joy to help customers look and feel their best.

Cons

The pay should be increased.

Advice to Management

Be a leader not a boss.

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid benefits, flexible schedule, great way to learn about beauty products

Cons

Restructuring stressed employees, you cannot talk to management about problems, closing stores

Advice to Management

Listen to the front line employees

"The Biggest, Smallest Company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, decent people to work with.

Cons

Company is small minded and doesn't utilize it's employees to their strengths.

Advice to Management

Have more of pulse of the business by making employees feel valued through implementation of ideas and solutions put forward by employees. Use employees strengths to stabilize the companies standing.