Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get free products of their choosing (in 127 reviews)

• Free products each month to try plus an excellent employee discount (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and the manager isn't the best person (in 68 reviews)

• I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth (in 62 reviews)

"Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting people, discounts, insurance, rewards through Ioms

Cons

45 hrs a week, paid bi weekly, if your store doesnt do as expected you do not get a bonus even though you work your tail off to make goals

2. "customer service representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, employee discount, enjoyed speaking with customers

Cons

low hourly pay, must stand during shift without a break, concern about management reliability

Advice to Management

allow employees to attend management meetings and offer advice on areas to improve

3. "Fail Store Hurricane WV"

Former Employee - West Virginia in Hurricane, WV
    Former Employee - West Virginia in Hurricane, WV

Pros

The manager doesnt care to stick around much so the freedom was nice.
    Not working at Hurricane@location

Cons

No Teamwork @Hurricane,WV location, you can't make a sale when another employee convinces customers not to buy, so frustrating!

Advice to Management

Advice to management,instore? Find a new job!
    DM Mindy was good,very helpful and gives a damn. Hurricane location hates her, clearly jealous

4. "Great Place to start!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about beauty product and free product testing.

Cons

School schedule does not matter and everyone has to work weekends.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible; this is a job for young people.

"Tale of two companies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Emplyoee discount and free products

Cons

Advancement opportunities are down as is job security. New upper management caused many to leave and then many more in the field let go for downsizing. The computer system does not work right and is a daily nuisance

"Growing and Learning Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was with Sally Beauty for 13 years and learn a lot about management, expectations & how employees could advance with knowledge and training. I thank this company for teaching me and guiding me through all those years of service. Would like to thank all the great District Managers who have stood by me and trained me throughout the years.

Cons

I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth. I started to push myself to help out and run a high volume store till it tore me down. I should of just ran my store but I was made to feel like it was my duty to assist in major resets at other stores. Trying to keep KIP's that only increased as competitors increased. I would use my reward points to buy things to help meet the store monthly standards. This was of my choice, however, the pressure of always training employees and handling 50 plus hour weeks was tearing me down. Expectations are for perfection and not progress. Getting a 3% raise was what you worked extremely hard for every year. When a complaint came through your DM--you better have a good answer. I myself felt like the company wanted managers to be there 24/7. I never felt like the company ever listened to the managers. We where just paid to be there at beck and call. Its a shame because a lot of good people left feeling the same way. Pushing to increase cash flow is a retail standard. But keeping your employees happy about working for you is very important to meeting that goal. Let me end by saying I am not upset with Sally Beauty Supply, however, I should of put limitations on their expectations. Give it my best and have a life outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Try remembering your employees, both upper management and staff. If they are feeling like the company wants and needs them, you will meet goals that would be unexpected.

7. "Sucky Pay"

Former Employee - Hourly in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hourly in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chill environment is about it

Cons

Everything else! Pay stinks. No perks besides a discount

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Upper management doesn't always know what is best if they are not out in the field

8. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work if you like cosmetology, easy going environment, small staff so you become close with coworkers.

Cons

Pay could be more especially if you have your cometology license. Other than that there are no cons for me I love working here.

Advice to Management

Sometimes Management can be a little more leniant when developing work scheldue especially for college students

9. "Bad & Unprofessional management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sally gives their employees a 20% discount off purchases from Sally and CosmoProf
    Also, Free items are given each month (that is, if your manager REMEMBERS to free out the items)

Cons

The manager of the Sally that I worked at is so unprofessional and lacks integrity to the company. She very rarely does anything. She leaves all the work that she is supposed to do like cycle counts and correction counts to her employees, she also leaves the nightly paperwork for her employees to do. She "works" for a few hours and takes a 4-5 hour lunch break (on the clock for that matter) and comes back for maybe 20 minutes and clocks out and goes home. There are days that she is scheduled to work til 5pm, but she leaves when the person comes in at 12pm. She yells at her employees in front of customers and tells her employees confidential things about other employees. She is supposed to get a "promotion" to be the area supervisor, but if she can't manage her own store CORRECTLY....how can she manager 5-6 stores? She can barely manage herself.

Advice to Management

Train your managers better, also, keep and eye out on fraudulent clock ins/outs. Have DM and TMs show up unannounced without calling ahead of time.

10. "Great company -Never boring"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have great customers, great management team, great perks. Time flies too. Most staff stays for years, which says a lot- that the company treats us well.

Cons

Not enough staff to go around, hiring good dependable and hard working people isn't an easy task. Finding the perfect fit for your team is challenging

Advice to Management

Hire back up staff