Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated December 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get free products of their choosing (in 134 reviews)

• Free products each month to try plus an excellent employee discount (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay was the biggest problem I had (in 74 reviews)

• Upper management not aligned with certain values (in 68 reviews)

"Need management revamp"

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Fun industry to work in

Cons

Poor upper management. Trying too many different engagement programs without follow through.

Advice to Management

Need to really hear what employees are saying about their managers.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people, working withyour team daily and generating new sales techniques.

Cons

Not enough advancement or support

Advice to Management

More internal advancement

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are friendly. The other employees are usually nice but some of them talk behind your back about you.

Cons

Management is very mean. ESPECIALLY THE TERRITORY AND DISTRICT MANAGERS. They will yell at you and treat you like a little kid. They try to take advantage of you. They try to pay you as little as possible. They pay different employees in the SAME POSITION with the SAME CREDENTIALS DIFFERENT HOURLY RATES/ SALARIES.

Advice to Management

Be fair and RESPECTFUL to your employees.

4. "Sale"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waltham, MA

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working with people

Cons

Sometimes the young girls would talk on the phone and not work

Advice to Management

Give everything one jobs to do

5. "Good for a first job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sally Beauty (More than a year)

Pros

Many things to do. Not much sitting around doing nothing

Cons

No moving up unless a manager leaves the store

6. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Wonderful customers, if you love hair, make-up and nails perfect job!

Cons

Unfulfilled promises of promotions, could feel like a dead end job.

Advice to Management

Don't let the good employees go, they are hard to find.

"employee treatment"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store closes early. Employees get good discount.

Cons

Too much drama among employees. Manager not respectful to all employees, especially if they come from a different retail environment (women,s clothing). Company needs to have better rules regarding store keys. Paychecks don't arrive on payday.

Employees fighting over childish issues. Store key aren't given to all employees who open or close store. Employees don't get pay checks on payday.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat employees better. Don't belittle ones with little hair knowledge; TEACH THEM.

8. "Merchandising"

Pros

good healthcare, retirement plan. fun industry

Cons

not a good work life balance

"Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cheektowaga, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Cheektowaga, NY

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Learning aspect: if you're enrolled or finished with beauty school
    Evaluation 6 month raises
    Flexible hours (usually)
    Lenient on vacation time
    You'll probably work with very nice staff

Cons

Ok, I'm just going to say what everyone else that is currently working here or is a former employee at Sally Beauty is thinking ... A lot of the customers are uneducated, rude, and DUMB. If you cannot handle dumb people that are ignorant to sales and hair products, you might as well not even waste your time applying. After doing a hair consultation with a client you'll find a lot of the times they're indecisive or tell
    You that you the beauty advisor, are wrong ... I'm aware that with every customer service job their are dummies and rude people (it's inevitable) but damn, some of the men and woman that enter this store aren't the brightest and you might find yourself getting frustrated with them.

With that being said, I wish we were paid a little more to compensate for the customers. I never understood why we're paid so little, but have to have knowledge on chemicals and what products do in the store. If someone really wanted to they could buy 40-50 vol developer and pure acetone and make a bomb, that's a little unsettling. I know I mentioned in pros that you receive a 6 month evaluation pay raise, but we're talking .20 to .30 cents... better than nothing, I guess ?

The system updates on the computers are hardly updates. At my store we use packets to find out if a product is on sale... now in most retail jobs the computer automatically does the sale for you, nope not Sally's. We have to go through the packet and type in a code to activate the discount/sale... or
    Click on the product in the computer to see. And sometimes these methods aren't even effective and refuse to put on the sale even if the product meets the qualifications of the sale...
    We as employees should not have to bend over backwards to get a customer a sale on the computer that should already be automatic. Then we're dealing with an upset customer because they didn't save money on their purchase.

Advice to Management

Stop having such high expectations for a company/store you put very little work into. You expect us to be in perfect black, white, grey, dress code with unrealistic footwear expectations (yes I'm referring to the new dress code). And to execute "girlfriend in the know" with OUTSTANDING (commission based. But not actually commission based) customer service but you do not pay us like we're doing so. You can't expect change and sales to magically rise when the only store that seems to be mainly focused on is the headquarters in Texas. Raise the pay, get better brands of products, and progressively getting new computers for each store will make a change. I understand Rome wasn't built in a day, but looking at your competition (Sephora, Ulta, A&A) we could be doing A LOT better...

10. "Beauty advisor"

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time

Pros

Helping people find their beautiful and making them feel empowered by encouraging the use of beauty products and sharing tips and info with them on a personal and individual level is what made my work experience there so good! I had a fantastic store manager and a high volume store so it was well organized and busy everyday!

Cons

Low pay was the biggest problem I had. They hire people as part-time then work them 40 hours and although they offered insurance for 30+hours it wasn't a good plan. The company has a long way to go to catch up with technology and the tedious tasks of having to remember all the sales, promos etc for the month was challenging because the products didn't scan the sale price; associate has several pages of coupons and sales information to browse through to find the correct sales code to enter in register - time consuming and if the associate or customer didn't realize the product wasn't ringing in at sales price it was easy to overlook thus causing customers to complain about not receiving the advertised sale price! There has to be a software program available for SALLY to use to assist with this but I never saw that happen.

Advice to Management

Fix the POS to scan sale prices without using a coupon code for the transaction to be accurate.