Salvation Army Reviews | Glassdoor

Salvation Army CEO Clive Adams
Clive Adams

1,079 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great co-workers, helping people, meet interesting people daily (in 71 reviews)

• Helping others that need the help (in 58 reviews)

Cons

"Work here - You'll love it"

Current Employee - Secretary in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Secretary in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Everyone is so nice to work with. There's a real team effort in our office. Everyone is very friendly, very helpful and enjoy each other. Our hours are very flexible, they want to accommodate our needs.

Cons

I can't think of anything. There really is no downside to working for The Salvation Army that I can think of. They are very accommodating. My boss is the best. He's understanding, gives us the tools to do our jobs and trusts our judgment.

Advice to Management

Discipline the corps officers that don't follow directions. I don't understand why some corps officers and some officers at DHQ are allowed to be stubborn and not follow the rules.

2. "May God keep on blessing your work."

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Chicago, IL

Pros

I love it because my work makes a difference in the world! I feel like we are really helping people survive and change their lives for the better. It is easy to go to a job I love and the people I work with are committed to their work. I will never look for another job! I just plain love it! The on-line site keeps us up to date on the big picture and we have the latest technology to communicate within the company with each other (and management if we choose).

Cons

The pay is a bit low but the benefits are great.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing the most good!

3. "A Great Place to work!"

Pros

I think many of the leaders (officers) truly care about the folks that work at The Salvation Army. Most of the folks do it out of a sense of calling.

Cons

It is a large organization, and sometimes the personal touch is missing. Also, the people you meet have VERY strong opinions, either good or bad.

Advice to Management

Just remember whose you are and why you do what you do. Take complaints seriously, give praise where it is deserved, and rebuke where it is deserved.

"Working in Residental"

Current Employee - Case Aide in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Case Aide in Syracuse, NY

Pros

You learn alot about yourself and others. You learn CPR, First aid, crisis intervention and take many trainings. You meet several people in the community along with a numerous amount of agencies. They always have a open door policy and your ideas and thoughts are always taken into consideration. They will pay for you to go back to school if you so desire. It is not like a traditional job where you sit behind a desk all day. You have the ability to really help others as they too will help you. The range of doctors you can see is pretty good with the insurance they offer. It is an over all good place to work and learn.

Cons

There are two major things that stand out working in this environment and with this company and it is the pay. You are not paid enough for all of the demands and time that you dedicate to helping others. And if you work the overnight shift there is no differential pay. The raises are not that great either.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of your workers because most of us put lots of love, care, time and emotions into this job.

5. "Great place to learn about the field"

Current Employee - Social Work Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Social Work Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent team of employees, always willing to give you time to ask questions.
    Great executives and managerial staff

Cons

Personal vehicle is a must unless your in counseling program.
    Needs more training for in home visit safety.

Advice to Management

Have safety training include things about working in the field for in home visits. The current safety training is only for office and school/daycare environments.

6. "Fun, easy place to work with the ability to take on responsibility."

Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in San Diego, CA

Pros

Fun atmosphere, easy going management, professional work environment. Also have the ability to get shift covered or time off. Great place to work for some extra cash.

Cons

Limited room for growth. Not too many positions of promotions. Upper-high level management works slowly and pay checks can be expected to be off or wrong on occasion.

7. "TSA is a positive and ethical work environment."

Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator in Sidney, OH
    Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator in Sidney, OH

Pros

flexible hours, rewarding both personally and professionally, ethical work environment, positive and encouraging staff and superiors, very clean, very understanding of anything that may arise and/or emergency situations

Cons

My position specifically was seasonal, a lot of work for not a whole lot of pay, no benefits as it was a seasonal job

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a wonderful job and I appreciate the opportunity I was given to work at one of your Corps the past few Christmas seasons

8. "The most rewarding enployment I have ever had. Great company mission , great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Manager Electronic Shops in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Electronic Shops in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Salvation Army (More than a year)

Pros

more than just a job , but a life affirming mission helping others plus personal rewards

Cons

relitive low pay to start

Advice to Management

Adhere to standard wages for semi professional and professional job description s

9. "Pleasant and enjoyable and challenging"

Former Employee - Administrator/Director in Mount Vernon, NY
    Former Employee - Administrator/Director in Mount Vernon, NY

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rewarding, blessings, well balance between business and spiritual aspects of the operation.

Cons

Seeing someone dowellthen falloff thewagon

10. "generosity of spirit and services is beyond compare"

Former Employee - Kettle Coordinator in Lewes, DE
    Former Employee - Kettle Coordinator in Lewes, DE

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hearing and seeing the joy and appreciation you get for doing what you love...helping those in need. From veterans to little kids, the gratitude and excitement the SA brings at X-Mas is unparalleled.

Cons

Toe numbness during kettling, LOL!

Advice to Management

each state should have its own pg, incl. DE and MD

Showing 1,079 of 1,142 reviews