Sam Ash Music Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2019

2.3
Richard Ash

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people and great products" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great environment, musical discounts are awesome, love the students" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Minimum wage plus commission, which is rather contrived by management so that even on your best months your average hourly wage is not going to be over" (in 15 reviews)

• "The company as a whole tends to pass off blame, from upper management to middle management to employees" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Person in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Person in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

being around music all day

Cons

some customers are mean

Advice to Management

I had good management

"Sam Ash is not"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Cool music equipment (if you're a musician or an audio engineer).
    - Located in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles, CA.

Cons

- Horrible communication from Management to its employees.
    - The sales commission is not good whatsoever.
    - The job is hyped up during the interview process but fails to deliver in every way.
    - Management is immature and untrustworthy.

Advice to Management

Please see what I wrote in the 'Cons' section and work towards doing the opposite.

3. "Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Stringed Instrument Tech in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Stringed Instrument Tech in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to see new Instruments and Equipment.

Cons

The Owners and Management really don’t care about anyone or anything. Turn over is ridiculous and they don’t seem to care. However they care about customer complaints, which are impossible to stop and will be blamed on the employees. I was at the top of the chain and it didn’t matter. Management hides in the office until there’s an issue. Then it will be you who gets written up. When you’re a repair tech, you’re not in sales, but get treated like you are. Forget about getting a raise. I was laughed at when I asked for one. I worked in two different stores. Both were a joke.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because it really doesn’t matter what anyone says.

"Terrible management and environment"

Current Employee - Pro Audio Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pro Audio Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Sam Ash Music (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to salivate at the latest music gear on the market.

Cons

No upward mobility, terribly unhealthy environment on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Close the store.

5. "A Highschool job, held by specialists"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work around like minded people who share your passion. Most customers are very pleasant to help, too. When you have free time you get to play an assortment of instruments, which can be a plus if you aren’t desensitized to it after working around it so much.

Cons

Commission is a joke and you will never see it, no matter how well you do unless you are in one of the highest traffic stores, and even then it’s rare. Their formula is way outdated and made to keep the money in their pockets and out of yours unless you’re absolutely making them money hand over foot.

Although some managers are great, others are focused on making their own sales (because they have to, somewhat understandable) and aren’t focused on doing their jobs. Some managers will micromanage too much to keep you doing busy work, which is honestly unnecessary because you’re usually very busy anyway and the few free moments you have you should be allowed to play/test instruments so you can better know what you’re selling and recommending to customer.

Advice to Management

Revise your ridiculous commission scale. Your customers value having professional and knowledgeable musicians who can discuss gear, but the pay scale is honestly minimum wage. There is no commission to 95% of your employees. The only people who can afford to work at your stores are high school kids who need gas and food money, and eventually you’re going to lose your specialists and knowledgeable salesmen.

6. "Great Company, Friendly staff, laid back work environment."

Pros

Working in music. Laid back.

Cons

Doesn’t pay well at all. Working all weekends and holidays.

Advice to Management

Provide employees with a means to make more money.

7. "No Advancement"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Hicksville, NY
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Hicksville, NY

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Gear Discount
    - Mostly fun work environment

Cons

- Not a lot of money
    - No room for advancement
    - Add more responsibilities to job titles without compensation

"Do Not Work Here."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are helpful most of the time, especially with friendly competition.
    Decent gear discounts.
    Great way to learn a ton about gear.
    Good sales experience for young salespeople.

Cons

Horrible pay.
    Horrible upper management: Will not advertise, will not upgrade key IT systems, and though they act like there's a direct pipeline from employees to HQ, the upper executives never listen to salespeople. Ever.
    Outdated pay system: In the age of online sales, the base pay VERSUS commission scheme is basically running a sweatshop. I, within my first 3 months, couldn't afford $400 rent. Working Full Time. In a skilled trade. As one of the top salespeople in the store.
    Mounting responsibilities: the recent addition of Salesforce to our workload spurned me to make this review. They added maybe 90 minutes of extra work to our day, which we still have to earn commission against, where we aren't making sales at all, we are calling back web-based customers who are not expecting calls from a person hundreds of miles away. Overall, the addition of Salesforce makes it harder to do my job, which is sell.
    Horrible Scheduling: This may just be my specific store, but the schedules are inconsistent and ever-changing. As a full-time worker, I should expect a consistent timeframe to be at work week-to-week. Instead, I have to double check my schedule every day, leaving no time for gigging, planned events, or even things as simple as going to concerts.
    Turnover: In my first month, 5 people left. This pattern has been consistent since I started working here. The pay is terrible so people leave. The new hires are oversold in terms of the pay rate and benefits, and therefore join, learn how terrible things are, and then instantly leave. Turnover rate in my store is well over 100%, if counting the same positions getting filled multiple times.

Advice to Management

Advertise. Update GERS. Stop acting like the fact that you're a family-owned business means you're going to get loyal customers. Pay your employees a living wage (perhaps minimum $10 PLUS commission?). Going public as a company may be the only thing to stop you from going under in the next 10 years. One grandfathered-in person at the top doesn't "believe" in advertising, and myself and hundreds of others are forced to work full-time for a wage well below our worth. There's a reason Guitar Center is winning. Take a cue from them and update you business model before Sweetwater and Amazon wipe you out.

9. "OK place to get started"

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time

Pros

Learn by doing
    Discounts on gear

Cons

Commission structure doesn't make sense

10. "Meh"

Former Employee - Sales in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Sam Ash Music (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with and always great opportunities for networking

Cons

Training is severely lacking for when they throw you on the sales floor