Sam Carbis Solutions Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Shawn Cramer Mizell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is amazing the amount of talented and good employees this company will fire for no reason (in 3 reviews)

• This company will fire you without ANY prior warning (in 2 reviews)

"Great people but company direction fails"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and a good place to learn. I have known the owners of the company for going on 25 years now and think of them as great friends. I progressed from an engry lvl employee to the department manager.

Cons

One of my main gripes is tbe attitude, that was expressed to me several times, that as a salaried employee Iwas "on call" 24/7/365. There is litte thought given to the best practices of a job and employees are expected to do jobs the way they have always been done regardless of if there is a better way. It saddens me that the company has not been able to move past this mentality even though thwy are aware it is a detriment and that it needs to change. I truly hope they overcome this and regain thier place in the insustry.

Advice to Management

Utilize the experience and knowledge of your employees to tbe fullest. Work every day to move forward with the transformation of the company you started. Finally TRUST your managers and follow thier input as they have the ear of the average employee.

"Always moving forward. Constantly improving because change isn't bad."

Current Employee - Team Mate in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Team Mate in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've seen the company president take time out of her day to check on employees lives. I've personally had her help guide me with so much knowledge. I've seen executive management make decisions that wouldn't make anyone comfortable to make. Management works along with the rest of the staff. Respect is earned when they do. Even when the weather is hot or cold and the hours feels long everyone is there for each other.

Cons

The cons are like any other business. At the end of the day ends have to meet and everyone has a job to do. We don't always like it. We don't always enjoy it. But when we share the workload we are successful at making it a better work place.

Advice to Management

Great ideas come can come from anywhere. Offer incentives for ideas that would benefit the company.

"I urge caution if considering this company as an employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brand/product reputation and customer allegiance.

Cons

If you are willing, and desire, to become a subservient, devoid of any personal self-worth and be willing to be treated as second class citizen, this is your company.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that people are hired because of capability, knowledge and capability. Listen to them as positive improvement opportunities that may/may not align with how your business has been run in the past. Take the comments as constructive improvement ideas. Don't shove them out the door for tabling a potentially "better way".

"They make you take a 45 minute survey only to tell you they are not interested"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unethical company. Don't work for them. They steal your time and do not compensate you for it.

Cons

As a part of the screening process, they make you take a 45 minute test only to tell you no. That unethical activity is wage theft. Usually you pay for a person's time. They should ashamed of themselves .

"Slave Labor!!!"

Former Employee - Welder in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Welder in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have to type a twenty word minimum in this "pros" block according the Glassdoor app. Am I there yet?

Cons

I feel like Rosie the Riveter in several ways. The equipment is ancient and does not function as intended. The "shop" looks like it was built in 1934 but I believe it was actually built in 1954. There is no HVAC to cool or adequately heat the shop. Well, they open windows and turn on fans in the summer but this is South Carolina and it's brutally hot in the Summer. It's hot from May to early October. It's also cold in the winter even though there are a few small heaters.

The pay is low and you can forget a raise. The owners suggest their managers have the authority to approve raises but I've been told by my manager that they must then get approval from the president, and when a manager asks if they can provide a raise for an employee, the president berates them into submission to the point the floor managers will avoid the subject of "raises" in the future.

The real problem is the owner and his daughter are miserable human beings and we all know "misery loves company". The president, who is owner's spoiled daughter who wouldn't know a hard day's work if it bit her, thinks the business is a game. It appears she was never properly "socialized" as a small child and has psychopathic and narcissistic tendencies. She is an immature and hateful person who seems to enjoy hurting people. She is more concerned about Glassdoor reviews than she is on managing the business which makes since because she is incapable and unqualified to lead this company. The thought within the organization (other than the president) is she will lead them into bankruptcy. I hate it for all of the employees who really care about SCSG.

If you look into the face of any employee from any department that has been employed there more than a few months, you'll be hard pressed to find a smile on anyone. It's the most negative, depressing, denigrating place you'll ever work. The positive reviews are from the owner's family (mostly the president) and/or a few of her favorite pets who are also miserable but well paid. This place is modern day slavery.

As a test, randomly call any business in Florence SC and ask, "What can you tell me about Aluminum Ladder or Carbis?" I meant, "any business" when I wrote it. Try it.

Advice to Management

Continue eating like a pig and smoking cigarettes

"Absolutely horrifying."

Former Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros besides there are good eating places around for lunch.

Cons

They like to hire and then fire you in 6 months. I was terminated and told by management i did nothing wrong. I went applied for unemployment and Carbis did not fight it. The owners and supervisors rule by fear and intimidation. The place is Pure Hell! Stay Away, Stay Away. You may say i am upset heck no, look at the other reviews.

Advice to Management

Quit and get new owners and management that care and don't try and scare people..

"Aweful Aweful Aweful"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make decent money here temporarily. Good training to work for their competitors after they fire you, which they will!

Cons

Slavery!!! These people don't understand salaried employees exempt and nonexempt status. They want to hold you to punched clock rules and expect you to travel, work and meet weekends and nights. They will own your private life and the hell with your family needs.
    They advertise they are the world leader but are failing within the industry and sale far less than their competitors.
    They fire employees weekly with NO notice or warning. Asked to see their employee handbook! Every paragraph ends with "up to and immediate termination".
    You should consider this a temporary job and base nothing financially on the income.
    Management is based on perusal submission to the narcissistic owner who has clear signs of bi-polar issues. Keep your thoughts to yourself no matter how hard they pressure you for them, it's the quickest way out the door.

Advice to Management

The only thing that'll save you is sell while you still can

"Not the job for me"

Former Employee - General Laborer in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You worked 40+ hours and you get paid every week!

Cons

Sam carbis is such a liar! They promise you raise after raise and you never see anything. The starting pay is minimum wage. Within months your will still make the same thing because you don't have enough experience to build a ladder alone! It's a job if u don't have anything else to do and they will hire anyone! It's not a place to stay for a long time.

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is the only reason I worked there

Cons

Absolutely everything else about the job.

Advice to Management

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

10. "Slow progress is still progress"

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time

Pros

They have a strong desire to be successful and take care of their employees. They offer a decent wage for the area. They are understanding if an emergency arises. You get a straight answer if you have a question. They will help you grow with the company and achieve your goals.

Cons

Working on changing policy and streamlining processes has created some disconnect. There seems to be some miscommunication at times; however, they understand and are working on becoming more transparent.

Advice to Management

Continue pushing forward. I can see the vision, even if others can't