Sam's Club Cakes Reviews | Glassdoor

Cakes

Sam's Club President & CEO John Furner
John Furner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay/ great advancement opportunities" (in 222 reviews)

• "Decent pay for a college student" (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance was sometimes an opportunity" (in 101 reviews)

• "It took a long time to get a full time position" (in 211 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits good location easy

Cons

Weird hours stressful at times

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Terrible training."

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cake decorating. Shift times. Discounts.

Cons

No training. No help. The girl who was supposed to be training me would disappear and take a bunch of breaks.

Advice to Management

Train better.

3. "Sam’s Club"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, 30 minute lunch break, good pay. I was there just for a summer before going back to school. I would work there again.

Cons

Very unorganized but that will vary by store

4. "Horrible company"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Houston, TX

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, there was nothing good about this job

Cons

Never received breaks or lunches. I had to clock out for my lunch and then go back to work while I was on my lunch break.
    I made it very clear that I couldn’t work more than 30 hours a week during the school semester and they still scheduled me 40 hours a week and scheduled me on days I had school even though I was previously approved for certain days off for school. Then they tried to give me a 3rd write up one time when I never received a 1st and 2nd write up. If you don’t know how a write up works then basically the manager of your department brings you into a room and explains to you why you’re being written up and then you have to sign a paper to confirm the write up. You can only receive 3 of these and then they fire you. I’ve never received one before and one day my manager told me I was getting written up for calling into work too many times which is the result from them scheduling me on the days I have school. When I was pulled into the room I was informed that this was my 3rd write up and I said “how is this my 3rd write up when I’ve never received a 1st and 2nd write up?” And I was told by my manager that I had so many call ins that he would fire me right now if he wanted to. I guess he was trying to threaten me. So I told him “don’t worry about it, if this is the way you’re going to talk to people then I’m putting in my 2 weeks now” so I left that company and that was the greatest decision I’ve ever made. Keep in mind that this is the sams club on Eldridge and Westheimer and they’re the same store that closed down with out notifying their employees. That just shows what kind of company they are.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

"Part time employee"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved decorating cakes. Plenty of designs, new designs all the time. Pay was decent. At holiday time you get 40 plus hours.

Cons

They do not hire full time employees. You're stuck at part time. Hours are cut drastically when slow. There were times I only worked 13 hours a week.
    Management was not good. Would get written up over the smallest thing. Went through 4 managers. 1 of the managers had favorites. He would flirt and text his favorites all the time.
    Favoritism.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know what they are doing and aren't there just for a check. Do your research on them.

"Cake Decorator"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay starting out compared to other places

Cons

Stressful, unreasonable and unrealistic demands, management sucks they don’t care about employees, they over work you and deny you overtime, very unprofessional, extremely petty, don’t take vacations when you return they give you crappy hours, deny your vacations, will fire good employees for no good reason even when already understaff, don’t give proper raises... I could go on and. People end up hospitalized from working for this company, not worth it.

Advice to Management

Step down and let someone who enjoys working with ppl do the job, someone who doesn’t take business personally

7. "Chaotic"

Current Employee - Baker/Cake Decorator in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Baker/Cake Decorator in Washington, PA

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Potential bonuses, some of the major holidays off, decent pay rates

Cons

Drama, no communication amongst management, favoritism, unfair pay scales

Advice to Management

Actually try listening to associates who are the ones on the front lines as Sam Walton used to say in similar words. We're the ones seeing and dealing with what's going on while you managers are all in an office with your plans and meetings and expectations that even you can't fulfill. Believe it or not we sometimes know what we are talking about and aren't wrong just because your fancy plans and emails say otherwise. It's like management can't think for themselves, they swear by the book so much.. Except the book is always changing and none of them actually know what it says anyways. Thus chaos ensues because nobody is EVER on the same page. Also, don't dole out raises then take them back and say to get over it when we are upset our hard work isn't being rewarded and new people with minimal experience are given $2 more. We aren't supposed to know other associate's pay rates but everyone still talks and management has the nerve to say to just deal with it, now go train this newbie getting more than you and we expect you to work just as hard as before if not harder! Management sees no issue talking to us like that. It's hurtful to someone who's been loyal so long but now I'm wondering why should I be anymore?

8. "Cake Decorator"

Former Employee - Baker/Cake Decorator in Watertown, NY
    Former Employee - Baker/Cake Decorator in Watertown, NY

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The satisfaction to help costumers, benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

To much work not enough employees, bad communication.

9. "Most toxic place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a cake decorator so it’s cool learning a new skill. The pay is good.

Cons

Pay isn’t worth it with how the management treats there employees. I’ve never cake decorated before and they treat me like crap because I’m “not good enough” even though I’ve only been there for 2 months. The worst job I’ve ever had. Also the management talks badly about the employees behind everyone’s back.

Advice to Management

Don’t treat your employees bad just because they don’t catch on right away. Also don’t say something nice to your employees and then talk badly about them.

10. "I Enjoyed Working Here"

Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

401K, fun atmosphere, pay is decent, free membership, opportunities to advance to other departments

Cons

Horrible discounts on produce/supplies, attitude of workers, staff turnover

Advice to Management

Focus on the employees more and reward them.