Sam's Club Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Sam's Club President & CEO John Furner
John Furner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay compared to other jobs around (in 149 reviews)

• Usually good work-life balance, decent pay (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is not great if you are family oriented (in 78 reviews)

• Not many full time positions available (in 171 reviews)

1. "Overnight"

I worked at Sam's Club part-time

Pros

You have job security cause nobody stays in overnights.

Cons

Underappreciated, overworked, and a lot more I'll hold back from commenting on.

Advice to Management

Let your managers due their jobs and stop micromanaging something you have no idea what's going on.

2. "Discriminatory"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid membership for or and ft employees

Cons

Older employees (55+) passed over for promotion. Openings not posted until management has made a selection and then it posts and filled. Advancement or change to another area made on popularity and close friendship. People often get blamed for failure to perform tasks not clearly explained. Asking questions is frowned upon, supervisors unresponsive to concerns or personnel issues. Supervisors yell at associates with no repercussions. Supervisor bullying is rampant.

Advice to Management

Older workers deserve recognition and encouragement. Employee frustrations are high and may result in poor performance when higher ups visit.

3. "Don't work here"

Pros

Easy to get a job

Cons

Management does not know what it is doing

4. "Riverview, Fl. /Horrible Management /Customers Dislike Also!"

Former Employee - Cafe Associate in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Cafe Associate in Riverview, FL

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The wage went up when I began working there. I applied on line, they pulled me in for an interview the next day and had me begin that week! I was so happy as I really needed a job and was told I would be guanteed at least 32 hours a week . They placed me in the Cafe' and told me it would be easy and at my age, I was not sure what that meant. The video training was inspiring and I was ready to go!

Cons

They threw me on the floor with workers who gave me no training not even on the cash register! Others were using my register throughout the day. I had to ask everything and then I was told by workers and management I ask too many questions! I had to prep the machines in the morning, make pizzas, make all the food, serve the food, work the registers, ( this meant to constanly take on and off gloves each time to touch the food then the register.) Haul all the supplies from the rest of the store to the Cafe' , get all the stuff out of our freezers ounce it was in the freezers that I hauled and prep it, take temps, then at the end of shift, clean all the machines, counters, ovens, and the entire area and drink machines where people were sitting and using all day and yes we had to stock all that! I asked all managers to please give me more training and hire more people. I wrote to Sams CEO. I was told " this is the way it always has been ".

Advice to Management

Be nice to employees. We are people as you are.

5. "Service Associate"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Social skills experience
    Problem solving abilities
    Interpersonal skills

Cons

Tough wage
    Fluctuation with the hours
    Poor managment

Advice to Management

Help out when OBVIOUSLY needed

6. "Grocery Sales Associate"

I worked at Sam's Club part-time

Pros

Sam's Club Membership. Customers are nice.

Cons

Schedule sucks. It's not consistent. Management sucks

7. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interface of the register for the cashier does all the work for you.

Cons

Short staffed, often have to stand for hours at the door as a door greeter. Working past time stated on schedule.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, stop putting all the cashiers as door greeter, or in cafe. That is not their job.

8. "Not very consistent on hours..."

I worked at Sam's Club full-time

Pros

The benefits are probably the only thing good about the company right now.

Cons

Management is not very good. The simple rules they are supposed to follow, they dont do at all. A lot of them dont have great people skills and thats a major problem. PTO was a big mistake for this company to switch too, its more suitable for people as nurses and doctors. This company should be ran more like Costco.

9. "Have friends in high places"

Current Employee - Associate in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Associate in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly friendly Co workers and members in my experience.

Cons

Unless you are friends with VERY high up managers, you won't move up one inch in this club. I've been in my position for over 2 years and have to fake enthusiasm just to make sure I still have a job. Laziness in some departments, while others are forced to pick up the slack, while the lazy ones get off scott free, the worker gets in trouble for taking a moment.

Advice to Management

Communication is beneficial. If your associates don't know what's going on, nothing can be done to correct anything. And getting upset with them for lack of knowledge makes for a hostile work environment in a job we are "paid to be happy for 8 hours" at.

10. "Money's Nice, Work Isn't"

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time

Pros

Good entry level job salary and decent hours.

Cons

I have never worked for such an insensitive and biased company to be quite honest with you. Rules only apply to certain people (whoever management feels like picking on), even company rules that the individual store has no say in. Discriminatory comments and actions have no repercussions. Management does not take interest in issues that are "below their pay grade" and cashiers are often stuck at the front end alone with no supervisor or manager to help them. If I had a dollar for every time I needed a manager/supervisor but they were too busy making jokes over the radios, talking in a group gossiping about god knows what, or in the break room eating while on the clock, I wouldn't have to work at Sam's anymore! Also, good luck with scheduling. If you are not full time, and no one is, you will not have consistent hours. I've been with the company eight months and I still get as little as 12 hours a week one week and 35 the next. I've been yelled at and formally "coached" for showing up one hour late to work once because my car was broken down in the middle of a high traffic road (think about the Main Street in your city, that's where my car was broken down and I had to deal with it). Yet, other people have called off every other time they are scheduled, show up 30 min late every day, or, my favorite, walked out of the store unexcused right as he clocked in and went home because he "didn't like how busy the store looked". Yeah. Not a word said to those people because rules apply to some. Maybe it's just my location, but it's a pretty god awful place to work. Every week there's at least 1-2 people that transfer to different locations or quit.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually manage. It is more than just standing up at the front, looking professional, and putting on a nice face to the members. You have employees that have lives they need to support. It isn't fair to us to give us unreliable hours, biased treatment, and sometimes outright rude behavior. Customers walk away angry and upset from you guys all the time, but you don't care because they are forced to take it out on us, the "lower" employees because you have the "authority" to literally walk away. You are not gods, stop acting like it.

Showing 632 of 3,490 reviews