Samaritan's Purse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Franklin Graham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Enjoyed offering aid and comfort around the world" (in 4 reviews)

• "Very helpful environment, supportive leaders and faith-based work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is not considered" (in 3 reviews)

• "Limited permanent full-time employment in Charlotte location" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Such organized and Godly organization"

Pros

- Good team to work with
    - Body of believers supporting you
    - good benefits

Cons

I could not find anything

"Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mobilizing others to accomplish the Great Commission; leadership development; learning to recruit, select, equip, and develop volunteers; amazing coworkers; strong vision

Cons

Limited upward mobility; static salary (other than cost of living increases); limited ability to make organizational impact; top-down management structure means IHQ may not understand field needs or have ability to make needed changes for field staff. Work/life balance is not considered.

Advice to Management

Implement a better upward mobility structure. Make pay increases available for high performing staff, listen to field staff recommendations for change. Give Managers and Directors more authority to train those under them. Give authority to field staff to take comp days and build in work-life balance opportunities.

3. "Gospel-focused. Neglecting families."

I worked at Samaritan's Purse full-time

Pros

Gospel-focused. Above reproach both publicly and in partnerships. Benefits and 401K. Good stewardship of resources. Reaching many for Christ.

Cons

Neglecting employee families’ needs when family must come first. Comp time not fair across the organization. Overworking of employees under the guise of calling it “ministry”.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees needs. Leadership to focus on retaining their employees by listening to their employees needs which are mainly; working too many hours and not being home enough to be with their families. More support for SP wives/spouses.

4. "Program Manager"

I worked at Samaritan's Purse full-time

Pros

I loved my colleagues and the freedom I had to run programs in our field office in East Africa.

Cons

Some of the politics at the HQ-level were frustrating. I did not always align with decisions that were made.

Advice to Management

Make sure your that the mission and the vision you communicate to donors aligns with the reality on the field.

5. "9 years and still going strong"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing, meaningful work. Feel fulfilled knowing the work I do is really making a difference. Mission Statement is core of who Samaritan's Purse is, it's not a platitude, but it's really being accomplished.

Cons

We are a disaster relief organization, which means we do work over holidays and work long hours at times.

"Improvement Needed: Open Communication and Empowering Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Christ centered and stand firm to their mission of helping those in need worldwide in Jesus' Name; Health benefits.

Cons

Strong organizational hierarchy; little to no upwards growth opportunities; slow to change.

Advice to Management

The team you work with and the leadership you work under depends a lot on how things within your department are ran. Communication and organizational hierarchy are two things that could always be improved upon within any organization/company; however, the organizational culture at SP is ultra strong and conservative when it comes to hierarchy. Just because someone is in a new position or title does not mean they need to be treated as inferior to those in upper leadership or higher positions. Again, this is not the case in every department but is strong in the one I work. It would be mindful of management to understand the difference between a position of authority and being a leader. To empower your team would be a great help for departments. My management spends a lot of time focused on what we did wrong and what we are not doing right. In addition, there is a strong 'need to know basis' when it comes to projects, assignments, and details for teams - thus more open communication is needed as more times than not this 'need to know basis' slows progress and interferes with an employee being able to give their best work and also have the opportunity to grow.

7. "Excellent Ministry to Join"

Current Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician in North Wilkesboro, NC
    Current Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician in North Wilkesboro, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is so much more than a job or even a career, working for SP is an opportunity to be part of a ministry. Within the first six months I feel as if I have established a whole new family and really feel like part of the mission.

Cons

I have not experienced any.

8. "Careers with Impact"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in North Wilkesboro, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in North Wilkesboro, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Samaritan's Purse partners with local churches, both in the U.S. and internationally. We understand that the local church was commissioned by Jesus to take the Gospel to all nations, in word and in action, and our mission is to mobilize and equip local churches to fulfill this calling effectively.

Cons

As a disaster relief organization, you may be called on in times of crisis to help with the increased volume and needs related to a large-scale humanitarian response. Be prepared for those times and set your expectations accordingly.

9. "Volunteer Coordinator"

Current Employee - Associate Volunteer Coordinator in North Wilkesboro, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Volunteer Coordinator in North Wilkesboro, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many truly dedicated believers supporting the ministry and each other.

Cons

Facilities spread out between Boone and North Wilkes.

"Wonderful Ministry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, NC

I have been working at Samaritan's Purse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

World class professionals, within their own career fields, that are sold out for Christ! Able to share your faith while providing help to those that are hurting or in need. Love how quickly we respond to crisis situations around the globe.

Cons

People are extremely passionate about their work, which is a good thing, but can lead to some work/life balance challenges.

Advice to Management

Be sure your teams understand spiritual warfare. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
    When you are doing the Lord's work the enemy does everything he can to cause disruption and division.