Sambreel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Kai Hankinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "it was fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sambreel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

gain experience, good snacks, good people, fun parties

Cons

got into a lawsuit with facebook and everyone lost their jobs

Advice to Management

Try to not get into legal battles with gigantic companies

2. "decent place"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

unparalleled coworkers, great benefits, culture is amazing

Cons

job security, cutthroat environment, all-consuming

3. "Lead Marketing Coordinator"

Pros

+ Super talented employees across the board
    + Difficult test-driven interview
    + Unbelievable perks
    + Unmatched benefits

Cons

+ Long hours
    + high competition amongst employees

Advice to Management

Had a great time working with you all!

"Amazing place to work, great team environment"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All medical benefits are paid and lunch is catered. Free drinks all around the office which is really nice. Usually a team outing once per quarter which is good for getting to know your coworkers better.

Cons

All the social events center around beer & wine so if you don't drink then some of the time it seems to focused around alcohol.

Advice to Management

Support employee goals that may not align with the company. This is hard for every company; just realize that no matter what people are going to move on so help them on their journey.

5. "Best Company to work for in San Diego!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive, Employee focused Work Environment
    Competitive Compensation
    Flexible Work Schedule (I am allowed to work a schedule that meets the needs of my family as well as being afforded a fully functional home work station that allows me to complete 99% of my work from home. Since my commute to work is 1 hour in each direction, this allows me a great deal more time with my family as well as saving hundreds of dollars in fuel costs each month!)
    Work From Home Options
    Top-Notch Employee Benefits
    Furthered Education and Training Support

Cons

The Software Industry can be unpredictable in regard to long term future employment.

6. "One of the top companies in San Diego to work for"

Current Employee - Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, fun work environment. Cool products. Amazingly talented colleagues. Top of market pay and compensation; awesome perks, office atmosphere and culture. Rapid growth. Freedom and autonomy.

Cons

The company is in a competitive software industry that is really fast paced. It often competes directly with industry giants. Not a con for some people, but the Internet is not a space for people who like slow, secure industries like oil or manufacturing.

Also, the company operates in a controversial space in the software industry that has higher risks than some tech ventures.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating. Don't get stuck in the box of our existing business model.

"Payroll No No. People on the take, who should not be."

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Diego, CA

Pros

free drinks, food, cool people, great experience, awesome xmas party, free carwashes, free cell phones, awesome computers, cool people, great network.

Cons

poor corporate strategy, layoff was huge, and severance was crap, roadmap was frenetic at best, and too many times was I led down the wrong path, i think they needed to be smarter about what was important and stuck with it, towards the end everyone one was doing something different everyday.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, and chill on the spending, culture was great but at what cost? you preach caring for your "family" but how many people were hired for less than a year and uprooted from their homes and now are unemployed, or are making lees than they need to survive in SD. Sucks for them, ok and putting people on the take who should not be, you know who you are who knew and let it go, I should have said something sooner.

"Good benefits, but company is unorganized and career paths are unclear"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly colleagues. A lot of perks - the company really cares about employee sanctification - free lunch, free dinner, snacks, car washes. etc

Cons

Very unorganized - zero training for new employees and very little directions from supervisors. Career paths are unclear. Promotions really depends on which team you are in.

Advice to Management

It will be better if they can hire managers who really can manage people well

"Great place to work until they let you go without notice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

When things are going well at Sambreel, it is an ideal place to work. They maintain (or used to, at least) an entrepreneurial environment for each of their product teams while still functioning "under the umbrella" of a larger company. Free drinks, free snacks, free lunches, free dinners if you work late, games rooms, etc. All the perks you could ask for.

Cons

Management has no idea how to plan for risk and sinks money into products that are not generating income like there's no tomorrow. As a result, the company was not prepared strategically or financially for a predictable change in their business model, voluntarily gave up one of their main sources of income prematurely, and ended up having to lay off 60% of their staff with no warning and minimal severance. Those laid off included many people who had been with the company since it was only a few dozen people and who had contributed significantly to its success while working extremely hard. On the other hand, many who remained had only been with the company for a few months. In other words, the company has shown absolutely no loyalty to its employees.

In addition, even when things were going well, new employees were lured in with the promise of large bonuses (up to 150% of their salary), only to find that the bonuses were based on unrealistic goals and expectations and, in reality, varied from nothing to 15%.

Advice to Management

Demonstrate to your employees that their loyalty and hard work matter beyond just contributing to your bottom line. Make business decisions based on analysis and good business sense rather than ego and greed.

"I feel lucky every day that I get to go to work at a place like Sambreel."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

It's hard not to brag about Sambreel. The company provides an incomparable work environment to mirror its exceptional employees.
    The company culture is what makes it great. We operate under a philosophy of "freedom with responsibility." We are treated like adults by providing us the freedom and leeway to achieve greatness. You will be hard pressed to find a day where someone doesn't reflect on how incredibly lucky we are.
    Compensation is offered at the top of the market, including a possibility of earning up to 150% of your salary. Our benefits package is unmatched and is offered at zero cost to any employee. We are lucky to have senior executives who believe in rewarding great work and so we have both a quarterly review and bonus structure. And we top it all off with 2 of the greatest company parties I have ever heard of.

Cons

Sambreel expects a lot so people work very hard and need to stay on top of their game. Additionally, the freedom that comes with our company culture is not for everyone. People who work here love to work so there is potential for burnout if work and time commitments are not properly managed.

Advice to Management

Our company culture is our greatest gift. As our company grows, that culture is put at risk. Make sure to check on it frequently and ensure all major business decisions are aligned with said culture and our Sambreel family.