Sammons Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sammons Financial Group Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2019

Found 241 reviews

4.8
Pros
  • "Employees are treated well with a great work life balance(in 39 reviews)

• "SFG has a great culture where we focus on working together for the success of everyone(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons to working at Sammons(in 8 reviews)

• "None come to mind at this point(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company and great culture"

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company has great benefits, competitive pay and a great culture

Cons

I don't have any complaints

Sammons Financial Group2019-09-13
  2. "Great in all the ways that really matter"

Current Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: culture, work-life balance, people, high investment in employees

Cons

Being a company on the larger side there is some red-tape in some area of the business. However, nothing excessive or out of the ordinary for a company of this size.

Sammons Financial Group2019-09-13
  3. "Great place to work with a great building to maintain!"

Current Employee - Building Services/Maintenance in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Clean and organized building. (safety is a priority at Sammons). -Relaxed dress code (getting to wear shorts while working). -Most tools provided with many open spaces to fix equipment.(Heated garage)! -Awesome P.T.O. plans and "Half-Day Friday's"!!!! -On-site food vendor for breakfast and lunch is always nice. -Overall, a good and open work culture.

Cons

Can't think of anything that is a major issue right now.

Sammons Financial Group2019-09-06
  4. "#hiddengem"

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing culture, work life balance, Friday afternoons free, remote workforce, innovative

Cons

Wish I knew about this great Company earlier in my career!

Sammons Financial Group2019-09-07
  5. "Fantastic Work Enviroment!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun environment, family oriented and great benefits!

Cons

None. You get back what you put in!

Sammons Financial Group2019-08-26
  6. "Grass is no longer greener on the other side"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sammons Financial Group has the best culture I've ever seen in a workplace. The company is highly motivated to do the best job possible and maintain positive attitudes. Everyone has some influence in process decisions and there are lots of opportunities to grow and shape your career.

Cons

At times it can feel like teams are too silo'd and as a result causes some disconnects.

Sammons Financial Group2019-08-15
  7. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for Sammons Financial Group for 15 years. I can't imagine working for another company. I love my job. The management/leadership is amazing. There is so much opportunity to grow within the company. 38% of my department work from home. We only work until 12:30pm on Friday's. It is amazing to work with a team that acts like family rather than just co-workers. I could go on and on. I am very lucky to work for Sammons Financial Group.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Sammons Financial Group2019-08-02
  8. "A company too good to be true, except it is true."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

TLDR; Everything Disclaimer: my particular department is all I know and can base my review off with substance, naturally. So keep that in that in mind, and of course every company can have bad apples, bad leaders, bad employees, but in my experience, this has not been the case, even when working with other departments. The dress code is amazing. As long as you are professional, you can wear shorts and tshirts and things like that. It's great. But there are people who wear business casual and suits too. Judgement free zone. Seems trivial to mention, but this is important to some people. They are tattoo agnostic as well, meaning, they won't turn you away simply because you have tattoos. This is a very diverse company. A lot of female leads and ethnic backgrounds contributing to the vision, training and executive roles. It's been my experience that this is a natural fit and doesn't feel forced and I love that about them (and I'm a male) The company cares about the community. Period. They do a lot of community outreach and encourage employees to volunteer, even giving paid time off to volunteer. This company REALLY believes in what they preach about in culture, and more importantly, they exercise it. The culture here is just simply amazing, it's not powerpoint nonsense that they talk about just to say they trained you, it's a lifestyle this company truly lives by and that's extremely hard to find in my opinion. There is room for growth, they expect you to grow, and help you grow, as an individual and in your career. The outlook is promising, a lot of projects that are different than the competitors and new things no one has tried in this industry in the upcoming years. Keeps things refreshing and mentally challenging. All the benefits are simply amazing. It's really that easy, they are all just amazing. I don't want to go into all of them, because there are a lot, but they take care of you. The company is empathetic, understands family needs arise, communicates effectively and can work around circumstances you would be nervous to ask other employers about. They are flexible with your schedule provided you work it out with a supervisor. More importantly, for my field, they encourage creativity, want suggestions/feedback regardless of your skill level or title. There is truly a promotion of finding a solution that makes sense to everyone. The stack and technology we use comes in all shapes and sizes so it's great if you know it, but if you don't they understand it sometimes takes more than 1 week to learn things and give you that space to do so. It's also a bonus that you can add these things to your personal resume since they are willing to try new technologies and frameworks and stacks as long as there is a fit for the vision. The pay is what most people care about so lets get into that. It's fair and well adjusted to your skill level/abilities in my opinion. I don't know how they do it now, but when I applied you named your own price, so if you aren't getting what you want then you really have yourself to blame. 401k has no match but they offset it with bonuses and the ESOP program. They also continuously give out gift cards and prizes and tickets to events and pay for lunches sometimes. Overall, I think they are aware if you pay people what they are worth, they will return the favor and work really hard for you. The new employee training you get is actually fun. It doesn't feel like a chore. Just a tidbit, but worth mentioning.

Cons

I have none at the moment. Just overwhelmed by how too good it is to be true.

Sammons Financial Group2019-08-02
  9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Content Specialist

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture, management cares about team members - Excellent benefits and training/onboarding program

Cons

- Honestly can't think of any!

Sammons Financial Group2019-07-26
  10. "Good place to work, great culture."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sammons Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just the right sized company, healthy and growing. Very good people to work with.

Cons

Diminished payscales due to overvalued ESOP.

Sammons Financial Group2019-08-07