Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 60 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

1. "High stress sometimes and challenging"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The high stress part is somewhat annoying sometimes, but it can be exciting also. Overall company isn't that bad. PTO starts at 4 weeks and goes up to 6 weeks with years of service. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks are mundane and boring. High pressure environment.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people. Feels like people's happiness is often overlooked for the sake of production.

"It's a paycheck"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wanted to wait a few months after I left before writing the review so that I could see which impressions stuck with me and which went away, here is what stuck with me.

* Pay is good and bonuses are consistent
    * Health care plans are well above average
    * Employment is stable
    * Had a stint of mandatory over-time, but ended it as soon as they could and didn't go back. OT is typically voluntary.
    * There are some managers and supervisors who are trying to improve the environment and do the right thing, unfortunately, they're handicapped by policy and higher level management.

Cons

* Rivalries and infighting everywhere. Management actively encourages rivalries between groups (engineers vs. techs, shift vs shift, and employee vs employee). Prepare to spend a lot of time fending off the knives coming at your back.
    * Unsafe, chemical exposures happen here and there. Company will typically blame the effects, such as itching and burning skin due to contact with byproducts on your laundry detergent. In the event of a gas leak, your nose and burning eyes are the only warning your going to get, this has happened a few times
    * Not willing to promote, hires almost exclusively from the outside. Make sure you're going to be happy with your position and pay as there's only enough room for half a dozen promotions in a department with a couple of hundred employees
    * Title and position are everything, it is not uncommon for engineers and managers to attempt to pressure subordinates into doing things against the rules in order to avoid responsibility. A few techs have even been fired for it.
    * If you are a contractor or a lower-level tech, your a disposable commodity, this is worst for the contractors.
    * Will only follow their own policy when convenient and will readily ignore it when it isn't.
    * Organization is exceptionally wasteful and inefficient, systems that don't work and support organizations that require more support that what they provide.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time, they clearly don't care.

3. "SAS"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits. Top notch equipment.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment. Constant change. Every year is a make or break year. Depending on your position you might work a ton of hours.

"Old company culture with good compensation"

Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good work/life balance
    * Nice salary
    * Nice benefits

Cons

* Old company culture, where information on projects is highly controlled, even within sub-teams. This prevents employees from contributing creatively.
    * Slow and highly controlled career path

6. "Most Disrespectful Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

The paychecks do not bounce

Cons

Management has no concerns for the employees in the fab. Most meetings held in the fab, not in a conference room. Company requires an excessive amount of time to be spent in the fab. No advancement and very little hiring of the contractors. Available training is very limited and mostly for show. The only place I have ever worked where information on the equipment is none existent and the individual is left to his/her own resources to learn the equipment. Poor morale across the fab. About the only people management listens to are those who work in the cubicles or the members of the "good ol' boy" club.

Advice to Management

Listen - and hear- the concerns of your employees. Also, start hiring from the contractor work force. It is absurd that new hires with no experience are paid more than contractors who have been there for years and have gained the required experience on the equipment.

7. "Great company with a 1950s America /Korean work ethic."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Great experience. CEO is outstanding. Strongly supports us military personal. Salaries are good. Healthcare is amazing. Hope to retire from here.

Cons

Culture is hard on young Americans. Middle management is not as positive. Glassdoor is not reflecting Samsung Austin but reflects American reaction to discipline. This is why military background employees are happier.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work.

8. "Engineering Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Work schedule is really great
    Really good people to work with
    Benefits are the best in the business
    Robotics work is interesting and challenging

Cons

If you want to grow in a company Samsung is not for you. The management doesn't really understand how to motivate their teams, and if you know how to talk the talk they will take that more into consideration than your actual work.
    Promotions come very slowly, it's more about who you know than what you know
    Once you are on a shift it is extremely difficult to get off

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead your people not boss your people. Look at what you employees are doing and reassure but challenge them to go to new heights, do not limit their growth because Samsung Korea says so.

"Equipment and Process Technician"

Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great along with the quarterly and annual bonuses. I liked the shift work, it offered plenty of time off.

Cons

Sometimes there was mandatory overtime. Some of the policies seemed unreasonable to me. Work there is mostly reactionary mainly due to the high volume of changes.

Advice to Management

I felt like my hands were tied when trying to move forward with a project because my management didn't understand it nor would take the time to learn it to give permission to move forward. In order for any improvements to be made, it would need pressure from above instead of getting ahead of the curve.

"Over 35 Years of Semiconductor Experience Speaking"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

I have worked as an engineer, supervisor and manager for 2 American based, 1 European based and 1 Korean based semiconductor manufacturing companies over a 35+ year career. Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is, by far, the best company in almost every comparable category. The long-term vision for growth at the Austin site makes me wish I were closer to the beginning of my career. Culturally speaking, SAS has the most diversified staff of people at every level and position with which I have ever worked. The opportunities to move up and around are very available. Salaries are very competitive. SAS, more than any company with which I have yet worked, strives to create the best work/life balance. Continuing educational opportunities are provided. The benefits package is very good and well-priced. SAS, more than any other company I have experienced gives back to the community in hundreds of ways and with thousands of dollars. I have worked at SAS for 7 years. I have filled several very enjoyable roles and worked on many very interesting and challenging projects with some of the best people from all over the planet. I came to the Austin area 20 years ago. My wife and I raised 7 children, putting them through the school system here. The culture, diversity and the values in this area make it one of the best places in the world to raise a family.

Cons

Seriously, I have sat staring at this box for 10 minutes racking my brain for anything that I would consider a real "Con" to working at SAS, but I have failed. Does that fact that the batteries in the auto paper towel dispensers drain to quickly count? I don't drink coffee so I can't give you a rating there, other than its free, along with tea and hot cocoa....

Advice to Management

You level of support combined with the level of allowed autonomy is very well balanced. Thank you.

11. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and was included in many tasks of the team

Cons

Big company and sometimes you feel like just a number