Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 61 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

1. "High stress sometimes and challenging"

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The high stress part is somewhat annoying sometimes, but it can be exciting also. Overall company isn't that bad. PTO starts at 4 weeks and goes up to 6 weeks with years of service. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks are mundane and boring. High pressure environment.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people. Feels like people's happiness is often overlooked for the sake of production.

"Training?Communication? Outdated pagers , work areas, Technology!Are we in the 90's?"

Former Employee - Technician in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits , Samsung does not let you go hungry, they put lunch money in your account. HR department seems to be very helpful.

Cons

Ok ineffective communication throughout the whole site! Outdated pagers, phones don't work properly. Work areas inside the fab and outside of the fab are outdated! Samsung this is the year 2017 get it together! We need consistency here! Bigger computer screens for personnel, multiple screens for employees who are task to have several windows opened at once! Please for the love of god give your employees better tools to communicate. 10 years ago intel gave their employees two way pagers! This was ten years ago! What good is a page when it is difficult to respond to it in a timely manner! I can write another paragraph on how poor Management is but I'm going to leave it here.

Advice to Management

Have open communication with your employees. If you are going to have mid year and yearly reviews please take the time to have regular 1:1 s with your staff. Provide clear direction as well as some type of coaching.

"It's a paycheck"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wanted to wait a few months after I left before writing the review so that I could see which impressions stuck with me and which went away, here is what stuck with me.

* Pay is good and bonuses are consistent
    * Health care plans are well above average
    * Employment is stable
    * Had a stint of mandatory over-time, but ended it as soon as they could and didn't go back. OT is typically voluntary.
    * There are some managers and supervisors who are trying to improve the environment and do the right thing, unfortunately, they're handicapped by policy and higher level management.

Cons

* Rivalries and infighting everywhere. Management actively encourages rivalries between groups (engineers vs. techs, shift vs shift, and employee vs employee). Prepare to spend a lot of time fending off the knives coming at your back.
    * Unsafe, chemical exposures happen here and there. Company will typically blame the effects, such as itching and burning skin due to contact with byproducts on your laundry detergent. In the event of a gas leak, your nose and burning eyes are the only warning your going to get, this has happened a few times
    * Not willing to promote, hires almost exclusively from the outside. Make sure you're going to be happy with your position and pay as there's only enough room for half a dozen promotions in a department with a couple of hundred employees
    * Title and position are everything, it is not uncommon for engineers and managers to attempt to pressure subordinates into doing things against the rules in order to avoid responsibility. A few techs have even been fired for it.
    * If you are a contractor or a lower-level tech, your a disposable commodity, this is worst for the contractors.
    * Will only follow their own policy when convenient and will readily ignore it when it isn't.
    * Organization is exceptionally wasteful and inefficient, systems that don't work and support organizations that require more support that what they provide.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time, they clearly don't care.

4. "SAS"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits. Top notch equipment.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment. Constant change. Every year is a make or break year. Depending on your position you might work a ton of hours.

"Engineering"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group interviews of 3-5 people five hours to learn about job. Site very clean and tight security. Escort to restroom. No cell phones permitted.

Cons

Archaic internal technology systems, no Outlook or laptops or working from home. New staff is shocked at how tight culture is. No interest in this company after interviewing. Ask employees how they like their previous company to this one. They are amazed how behind they are internally. No leaving for lunch. Most eat at their desk. No water offered during five hour interviews.

Advice to Management

Your turnover will be high if you don't get updated internally. People will leave after a year with your dated internal systems. Excel, seriously to run reports when systems can run this for you.

"Old company culture with good compensation"

Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good work/life balance
    * Nice salary
    * Nice benefits

Cons

* Old company culture, where information on projects is highly controlled, even within sub-teams. This prevents employees from contributing creatively.
    * Slow and highly controlled career path

7. "Most Disrespectful Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

The paychecks do not bounce

Cons

Management has no concerns for the employees in the fab. Most meetings held in the fab, not in a conference room. Company requires an excessive amount of time to be spent in the fab. No advancement and very little hiring of the contractors. Available training is very limited and mostly for show. The only place I have ever worked where information on the equipment is none existent and the individual is left to his/her own resources to learn the equipment. Poor morale across the fab. About the only people management listens to are those who work in the cubicles or the members of the "good ol' boy" club.

Advice to Management

Listen - and hear- the concerns of your employees. Also, start hiring from the contractor work force. It is absurd that new hires with no experience are paid more than contractors who have been there for years and have gained the required experience on the equipment.

8. "Great company with a 1950s America /Korean work ethic."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Great experience. CEO is outstanding. Strongly supports us military personal. Salaries are good. Healthcare is amazing. Hope to retire from here.

Cons

Culture is hard on young Americans. Middle management is not as positive. Glassdoor is not reflecting Samsung Austin but reflects American reaction to discipline. This is why military background employees are happier.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work.

"Equipment and Process Technician"

Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great along with the quarterly and annual bonuses. I liked the shift work, it offered plenty of time off.

Cons

Sometimes there was mandatory overtime. Some of the policies seemed unreasonable to me. Work there is mostly reactionary mainly due to the high volume of changes.

Advice to Management

I felt like my hands were tied when trying to move forward with a project because my management didn't understand it nor would take the time to learn it to give permission to move forward. In order for any improvements to be made, it would need pressure from above instead of getting ahead of the curve.

10. "Engineering Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Work schedule is really great
    Really good people to work with
    Benefits are the best in the business
    Robotics work is interesting and challenging

Cons

If you want to grow in a company Samsung is not for you. The management doesn't really understand how to motivate their teams, and if you know how to talk the talk they will take that more into consideration than your actual work.
    Promotions come very slowly, it's more about who you know than what you know
    Once you are on a shift it is extremely difficult to get off

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead your people not boss your people. Look at what you employees are doing and reassure but challenge them to go to new heights, do not limit their growth because Samsung Korea says so.