Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Aug 10, 2020

2.8
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Gil Heyun Choi (no image)
Gil Heyun Choi
Pros
Cons
  • "need work life balance and management improvement(in 83 reviews)

• "Outdated, made-in-house (or in Korea) internal technologies that don't talk to each other(in 59 reviews)

1. "Great benefits, lots of autonomy"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fast paced, great pay, people focused management

Cons

Conflicting US and Korean culture

Continue reading
  2. "System Engineer II at Samsung Austin Semiconductor"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Flexible Hour, High visibility, Good working environment

Cons

Low salary, Low salary increase per year

"It's a Korean Semiconductor Fab, What did you expect?"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As others have said excellent insurance plan, very nice amenities (cafes, coffee, gyms), and a good, but not great 401k. PTO is good, quarterly bonuses are nice too. The technology SAS is building is cutting edge and the FAB is perhaps the most advanced and automated FAB in North America. Samsung is an EXCELLENT company to have on your resume.

Cons

Oh, where to begin... People need to understand upfront; this is a Korean company, and with that comes the Korean work culture. If you don't understand that odds are, you will struggle with SAS. The other thing people need to understand is that SAS is a subsidiary, it is not it's own company and with that comes directives from Headquarters in Korea. Things that don't make sense will come down, and as a subsidiary, you are expected to execute the instruction (see above on being a Korean company). Many things hamper SAS, but here are the big ones: 1) Proprietary systems. SAS does not use modern office applications; they use Samsung developed applications and system, i.e., Knox for email, PIMS for calendaring, etc., etc. The reason for this is that the use of oddball systems helps protect the IP of SAS' customers. As others have mentioned, none of the systems are integrated, and the amount is time and energy spent on things that most people take for granted is amazing. This is not only in the office but the FAB too. Engineers complain that what took them 10 to 15 minutes at Intel takes 4, 6, 8 hours at SAS. 2) Leadership (see Korean culture note above). People in senior leadership positions have most likely only worked at Samsung. As a result, they are not aware of modern business and leadership practices. With the top-down style of Korean leadership, this can result in a blunt, direct, tone-deaf style leadership. 3) Professional salaries. Pay on "The 3rd Floor" is not in line with Central Texas. The turn over of Procurement, Finance, Accounting, and HR is mind-boggling. People either 1) stay for 20+ years or 2) leave after 2 years. There are very few people in the middle. While lower salaries are part of the issue, leadership, climate, and culture a big factors too. Will SAS change? Yes, on the edges, but overall it's static. Remember is a Korean FAB.

Continue reading
  4. "We need more engineers than politicians"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Nice cafeteria 2. Fitness center 3. Health benefits 4. Good name on your resume 5. Good opportunity to grow, only if you are focused

Cons

1. Nano-management at its finest. 2. Convoluted IT infrastructure and over-regulation just for the sake of security. 3. No laptops. Desktops only. 4. Never lets people focus on their main roles. Every day is a firefight. 5. Some people play more politics than being competent engineers. As engineers we should be working on ways to improve using technical knowledge and science, not reinforcing BS ground rules or nonsense paperwork leading to more redundancy. 6. A tech company lacking an engineering mindset. 7. A nice pat on the back and a cheesy gift card. The company is making billions while being extremely cheap to its employees. 8. Everything is top-down. No opinions asked or needed. 9. Too many old people.

5. "Engineer II"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, good benefits, fun and exciting place to work

Cons

Poor work-life balance, a lot of micro-managing, and an extraneous number of meetings

6. "Another cog in the machine"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Long hours, hard work, little recognition. Pay is average, benefits are good

Cons

It gets very repetitive and boring

7. "Don't do it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Cafeteria, fitness center, and insurance

Cons

Lots of stress and working hours

8. "Not always as good as it looks"

Former Employee - CVD PROCESS ENGINEER in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

good company, good products,good pay

Cons

Poor Management, sink or swim no middle ground, some trainers are not qualified to do so, poor ability to handle employees that show signs of verbal and physical aggression.

Continue reading
  9. "Was my first Job out of College. Loved it!"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The People are Great. Amazing Benefits. CORP program for entry level is an incredible training and integration program for New graduates or new semiconductor engineers.

Cons

No current Cons. Management depending on department are a mix of good and bad.

10. COVID-19

"Honest Review of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

Former Employee - Corp Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overly positive or overly negative reviews don't really provide valuable insights so I will honestly go through each of the good and bad aspects of working here. Pros: 1) Pay is good. I worked here straight out of college (left after ~4 years) and easily got paid more than any of my friends who worked for other companies 2) 401K and health benefits are amazing. You won't find anything as good as this elsewhere. (no deductible and super inexpensive to cover yourself and spouse/kids) 3) Looks amazing on your resume. Tell someone you work for Samsung and no one will mess with you. 4) 2 gyms with many group fitness classes like yoga, kickboxing..etc, 1 arcade, 2 cafeterias (food is okay...) 5) Opportunities to get LEAN certified which is also a resume booster 6) Opportunities to take many classes (technical and non-technical) to expand your knowledge

Cons

1) No work-life balance. Your boss will literally ask you to stay late everyday for no reason. If you leave at 5PM (you get paid to be there 8AM-5PM so why wouldn't you?), there is a stigma associated with that. People think you are "lazy" or "don't care about the company". Your value isn't measured in what projects you complete but on how many hours you are at your desk...even if you are sitting there doing nothing 2)If you are female, you will get hit on. Get used to it. HR will not help you. 3)There is an environment of blaming each other that definitely trickles from the top down. People are more concerned about blaming each other rather than just getting the job done. My manager asked me to lie on formal reports to make it seem like something was not a mistake made on our end. And yet they have one of their values as "integrity" plastered on the walls in the hallway and in the cafeteria.. 3)The work they do it very specialized - semiconductor. Even if you want to leave, its really hard to do so. That's why you'll always hear the older employees telling you to "get out before its too late" 4) safety is an issue. Ladies, there are some areas of the fab you can't go into if you're pregnant. In fact, I wouldn't even go near the fab if I were you. I know of people who's kids have been born with birth defects... maybe because they are in the fab? Don't know. But the issue is not just for women, I know men who I worked with who were hospitalized many times due to fumes or burns they endured while working on tools in the fab. There are some dangerous chemicals in there. But management doesn't care. They have this rule called "fab time". Meaning go sit in the fab even if you don't need to be there. Why put my health at risk for no reason??

Found 564 reviews