Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 60 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

1. "Most Disrespectful Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The paychecks do not bounce

Cons

Management has no concerns for the employees in the fab. Most meetings held in the fab, not in a conference room. Company requires an excessive amount of time to be spent in the fab. No advancement and very little hiring of the contractors. Available training is very limited and mostly for show. The only place I have ever worked where information on the equipment is none existent and the individual is left to his/her own resources to learn the equipment. Poor morale across the fab. About the only people management listens to are those who work in the cubicles or the members of the "good ol' boy" club.

Advice to Management

Listen - and hear- the concerns of your employees. Also, start hiring from the contractor work force. It is absurd that new hires with no experience are paid more than contractors who have been there for years and have gained the required experience on the equipment.

"Ramping-up Production while Ramping-down Morale"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security is great, even for under performing employees that have learned how to game the HR policies.

Cons

Some of the worst managers I have ever encountered at any company I have worked for or even heard about second-hand. A lot of them are great people who are just simply not management material, but were forced into their position through attrition. Sadly, taking a few CBTs and instructor-led classes does not transform someone into a manager, yet that's kind of how we operate. There is also a bi-modal Korean management structure that basically causes confusion, misdirection, and to some degree a good amount of favoritism if you happen to speak Korean.

Advice to Management

A good portion of engineers at the company are tired of the nonsense and mismanagement of their time. Quit treating everyone like they are immediately replaceable unless you want a workforce that is only coming through the doors everyday for a paycheck and not to make the company sucessful. In some departments, it's already reaching a tipping point where you don't have the luxury of just replacing people who are leaving with new hires because you kind of need experienced engineers to train them. I think that last bit is a pretty big issue, but that's just my humble opinion.

"Engineer3"

Former Employee - Engineering III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering III in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology is latest and greatest.

Cons

Worst company to work with. Very long hours, no work life balance , no work from home option even you have a sick kid while the work can be remotely done. Company has so much fear of technology and information leak. Korean managers have lunch together and not mingle much with other employees. Very hard for women with kids to work.

Routine mundane work no new engineering ideas are encouraged.

Managers have no idea of how long it takes to complete a job. Everything has to be done 10-15min and priorities change every few minutes with lot pressure to finish all the tasks.

Will not recommend the company.

Advice to Management

Employ good managers and try respecting engineers and not treat them as daily workers.

"Nice people won't survive here…"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Good benefits
    -Austin is a nice place to live
    -My boss is very understanding and fair to all of his employees (although this is very rare at Samsung)

Cons

-Work life balance is horrible. Some people are working night shift (which sucks). If you're lucky enough to work M-F you'll be at work for AT LEAST 10 hours a day.

-Health Risk: The FAB is a nasty place. There are ton of chemicals and a bunch of safety hazards. But you still have to go in and get the work done. Some departments even have a mandatory blood test since the tools they work on are so hazardous. But I guess every job comes with its dangers.

-Politics is overwhelming. This isn't really any of our managers' "fault". It may just be because it is a Korean company, or maybe just because that is how Semiconductor companies operate. Regardless of the reason, There is a lot of office politics. Lots of lying, cheating… its horrible.

-If you're a girl, you will 100% get hit on, stared down and talked about. Maybe its just because there aren't very many women who work here.

-And the worst thing about this place is that it is so "competitive". I put the word competitive in quotes because that's a really nice way of putting it. It seems like everyone is out to get each other. Even people on the same team will throw each other under the bus for any reason. Its really common to hear lots of gossip, bad language, and even have people insult each other's capabilities, intelligence and work ethic behind their backs. It's really a shame. It seems like everyone is out to get each other. Its an "us vs them" mentality. If I leave Samsung, it will be bc of the people. I don't mind the long hours or lack of work life balance. I just can't stand to see people being so ugly with each other. It's emotionally wearing me out. Nice people cannot survive here. Only the selfish ones move up and make it for many years.
    -Rank is very important. An Engineer 1 will gets lots of crap, put down and even pushed around or not taken seriously simply because of rank. Its ridiculous.

Advice to Management

We are all trying to accomplish one goal. Why not just work together instead of against each other? It may very well be that the managers here are just puppets to the higher ups in Korea. I guess you do what you gotta do to keep your job. But at some point, if its starts clashing with basic ethics (like integrity and fairness to all employees ) it may be time to walk away.

"Think twice about this one"

Former Employee - Systems Operations Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Operations Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facility has many perks, cafeterias, coffee, basketball court, gym, decent insurance benefits, 401K, cafeteria allowance, enjoyable co-workers.

Cons

Huge communication barrier. English is not the first language spoken. This causes all kinds of mis communications and assumptions to be had by upper management. It also leaves english speaking employees wondering if they are being talked about right in front of their face, which is most likely the case. Basically was thrown into a situation being told I would be doing a specific job duty, but then was expected to be able to perform all other kinds of skills that were not required for the job tasks at hand. There is a very structured tattle tale system installed as well. If you are not liked, it will be acted like its all good to your face, but then reports of all kinds of inaccuracies and faults are made about you to managers. This is by far the worst work environment I have ever had to deal with.

Advice to Management

Learn how to better communicate directly with your employees instead of listening to the reports and opinions of other managers around your employees. This is no way to get a feel on how your new employees are doing. Maybe having a desk in the same area as your new employees would help too. Communication is key, and this company has none.

"Is it really worth it?"

Former Employee - Meteorology Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Meteorology Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1.) Austin is a very nice place to be, especially for new grads and young singles. It's pretty good for families too.
    2.) Starting salary was better than most.
    3.) Best health insurance I have ever had and will probably ever have, unbeatable.
    4.) Made some really good friends.
    5.) If you are lucky enough to be in the HR department you get to spend some of your day writing bogus glassdoor company reviews (as mandated by management).

Cons

This is my honest story:
    I sarted in 2011 as a new grad electrical engineer, I was hired on in the Metrology department. My first 3 years were pretty good, I worked a lot, came in to work all hours, but I got above average performance reviews and a promotion. Year four I received an average performance review when I thought I was going to get another good review. Year five I got a below average review and was completely shocked (I honestly thought I was going to get above average). I had to formally contest my review, HR did an investigation and changed my review to average. The person writing my reviews was demoted and his superior told me that he wanted me to fill that role. Six weeks later I was terminated by the same person who told me he wanted to promote me, his only reason was "we were expecting some improvement." To this very day I have no idea why I was let go, the stress of being fired with absolutely no warning led to some serious medical conditions for which I now have to take medications for the rest of my life. This is absolutely not an exaggeration, this place almost killed me. I still speak with my friends who are still there and I know of 5 engineers that have left in the last 4 months, nobody in upper management seems to care or doesn't see the trend. I am not writing this review as a bitter ex-employee, getting fired from Samsung has been the best thing to happen to me in a long time, I have a much better job now and my quality of life has improved ten fold.

Advice to Management

What management? Unless in this context management means the spineless liars who will do literally whatever it takes to save face in front of their bosses. In that case my advice would be to keep up the good work, you are obviously doing something right to have gotten this far. However I wouldn't let you manage an ant farm.

"Engineer3"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just health benefits and 1.5 hours lunch time unofficially. Cafeteria with employee discount

Cons

Corrupt directors/managers and sick and tired of politics. Strict rules only for low rank engineers..

"DIFF Eng"

Current Employee - DIFF PE in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - DIFF PE in Austin, TX

Pros

Decent salary and benefits. Good location in Texas. Employees are sheeples

Cons

Quantities over qualities. No innovation and impoverment. Just follow the herd. Sheeples.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality and employee feedbacks.
    Company reputation is reflected on employees feedbacks not the salesssss

"Cautious Optimism"

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Austin, TX

Pros

- Very competitive salary
    - Plentiful benefits package
    - Opportunity to work alongside domestic technical professionals and enrich one's skillset
    - An ever-changing, dynamic atmosphere that will never cease to challenge you

Cons

- Frequent divisive direction about how, when, and where to proceed with objectives
    - An unspoken but very noticeable disconnect between the Korean and American contingents of employees
    - Core group(s) of key employees who apprehend and exercise increasing levels of power and authority

Advice to Management

- Give your employees more chances to speak (anonymously when appropriate) - and listen to them
    - With respect to the company's 6 core values (loyalty, family, etc...), ensure that what is preached is actually practiced
    - Truly offer all employees a better work-life balance

"Horrible place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Benefits ok, but coverage is not the same as with other companies even though you have the same health insurance and type of coverage. No email access outside of work, no laptops issued unless mgmt. No changes on after 430pm and fridays. Rebembursement for phone up to a set amount.

Cons

Horrid management. Constant yelling. Loud environment. Can't have a decent business conversation. Everything is done according to HQ, extreme micro mgmt. Security is extremely outrageous and seriously hinders productivity, yet still has major flaws.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your employees better. Listen instead of pushing. Be a leader instead of a Boss. Realize that treating employees to a lunch doesn't make up for rude and poor management.