Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Chan Hoon Park
Chan Hoon Park

Pros
  • The pay is good, the benefits are great, and they lead in the change in the industry (in 28 reviews)

• Samsung is a great company with good pay and benefits (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 60 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

1. "Great company with a 1950s America /Korean work ethic."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience. CEO is outstanding. Strongly supports us military personal. Salaries are good. Healthcare is amazing. Hope to retire from here.

Cons

Culture is hard on young Americans. Middle management is not as positive. Glassdoor is not reflecting Samsung Austin but reflects American reaction to discipline. This is why military background employees are happier.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work.

"Over 35 Years of Semiconductor Experience Speaking"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked as an engineer, supervisor and manager for 2 American based, 1 European based and 1 Korean based semiconductor manufacturing companies over a 35+ year career. Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is, by far, the best company in almost every comparable category. The long-term vision for growth at the Austin site makes me wish I were closer to the beginning of my career. Culturally speaking, SAS has the most diversified staff of people at every level and position with which I have ever worked. The opportunities to move up and around are very available. Salaries are very competitive. SAS, more than any company with which I have yet worked, strives to create the best work/life balance. Continuing educational opportunities are provided. The benefits package is very good and well-priced. SAS, more than any other company I have experienced gives back to the community in hundreds of ways and with thousands of dollars. I have worked at SAS for 7 years. I have filled several very enjoyable roles and worked on many very interesting and challenging projects with some of the best people from all over the planet. I came to the Austin area 20 years ago. My wife and I raised 7 children, putting them through the school system here. The culture, diversity and the values in this area make it one of the best places in the world to raise a family.

Cons

Seriously, I have sat staring at this box for 10 minutes racking my brain for anything that I would consider a real "Con" to working at SAS, but I have failed. Does that fact that the batteries in the auto paper towel dispensers drain to quickly count? I don't drink coffee so I can't give you a rating there, other than its free, along with tea and hot cocoa....

Advice to Management

You level of support combined with the level of allowed autonomy is very well balanced. Thank you.

3. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and was included in many tasks of the team

Cons

Big company and sometimes you feel like just a number

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience, hand on work.

Cons

Was repititive work for me

6. "Samsung Austin Semiconductor"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Awesome place to work. The Korean culture has a very large influence on everything we do.
    The pase is fast and always challenging. And things change constantly. The change is usually for the better. I love working here

Cons

The hours are sometimes demanding and can be a bit intrusive. This job is perfect for someone without responsibilities outside of work. Working the night shift is really hard with a family when there are little babies in the picture.

7. "Engineer/Project management Intern"

Current Intern - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

management in PM is great. Both my manager and his manager are very patient when I ask questions. Overall a very pleasant working environment.

Cons

Some intern projects required special access to the fab, yet access granting takes more time than optimal. Next time just grant them access ahead of time.

Advice to Management

The internship program is still developing, for this is only the second year they've had an organized internship of this size (65). With that being said, props for HR for improving it to this level in such short time.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

I've been with the company since 2007 and things have continually improved in all areas. The management structure is extremely solid and I get the very real sense that they have a grasp on the fundamentals of what it takes to be at the helm of an extremely successful company.

It takes hard work to do well at this company but that's the way it should be. Hard work is not only recognized but rewarded in several different ways. The bonus structure is one example and compared to my previous company the bonus structure at Samsung is absolutely amazing.

HR is very professional and takes the time to listen to ANY issues that ANY employee may have. I am a Supervisor and have had to deal directly with HR multiple times for varying reasons and my experiences have always left me feeling secure that HR is doing everything it can to create a balance of company protection and employee protection. I can't say enough good things about the HR department.

Cons

I really don't have much in the way of negative feedback. The cafeteria food could potentially be a bit better at night but that's really all I've got.

Advice to Management

Stay on course, continue to treat your employees with respect.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for personal growth. I have been there for eighteen years and hope to finish my career there. Anyone can succeed at SAS if they honestly try. Every department I have worked in has been very supportive to any improvement ideas I have came up with. The company just gave each employee a choice between a free Note 5 or Galaxy S6 right after the annual bonus and quarterly bonus! The company is always changing to stay ahead of the competition, nice to be on the winning team.

Cons

Would be nice to have a tennis court to go along with the jogging trail and basketball court.

Advice to Management

Go back to having the breakfast with management. It was a good opportunity for everyone to discuss ideas and concerns

10. "Always something new"

Current Employee - Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Great benefits and always work that can be done. Fast pace~

Cons

Depends what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your hard work and support

"Good job"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are great. Coworkers are good. Job is challenging and interesting. Lots of opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

Workload can be intense, which means work/life balance isn't always the best. However, my management does seem to be trying to improve this.

Communication with Korea counterparts can be a challenge if you don't know Korean, but it can be overcome if you actively seek help. There are many Korean and English speakers at the Austin site. There are also Korean language classes that can be taken, which can help you to understand some basics of the language.