Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The pay is good, the benefits are great, and they lead in the change in the industry (in 28 reviews)

• Samsung is a great company with good pay and benefits (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, size, red tape (in 60 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 29 reviews)

"Engineer3"

Former Employee - Engineering III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering III in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology is latest and greatest.

Cons

Worst company to work with. Very long hours, no work life balance , no work from home option even you have a sick kid while the work can be remotely done. Company has so much fear of technology and information leak. Korean managers have lunch together and not mingle much with other employees. Very hard for women with kids to work.

Routine mundane work no new engineering ideas are encouraged.

Managers have no idea of how long it takes to complete a job. Everything has to be done 10-15min and priorities change every few minutes with lot pressure to finish all the tasks.

Will not recommend the company.

Advice to Management

Employ good managers and try respecting engineers and not treat them as daily workers.

2. "principle engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very intensive work environment while a lot of learning opportunity, good for people who wants a more challenging environment, also great on it's benefit

Cons

work is not very efficient - inefficient meetings, partial Korean style way of management

Advice to Management

high level people should focus on management more instead of micromanagement

3. "Good place to retire"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits, great PTO time, fast-paced

Cons

Not much of employee recognition.
    Not much engineering. Most of the time, you contact other vendors to solve issues.

"Nice people won't survive here…"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Good benefits
    -Austin is a nice place to live
    -My boss is very understanding and fair to all of his employees (although this is very rare at Samsung)

Cons

-Work life balance is horrible. Some people are working night shift (which sucks). If you're lucky enough to work M-F you'll be at work for AT LEAST 10 hours a day.

-Health Risk: The FAB is a nasty place. There are ton of chemicals and a bunch of safety hazards. But you still have to go in and get the work done. Some departments even have a mandatory blood test since the tools they work on are so hazardous. But I guess every job comes with its dangers.

-Politics is overwhelming. This isn't really any of our managers' "fault". It may just be because it is a Korean company, or maybe just because that is how Semiconductor companies operate. Regardless of the reason, There is a lot of office politics. Lots of lying, cheating… its horrible.

-If you're a girl, you will 100% get hit on, stared down and talked about. Maybe its just because there aren't very many women who work here.

-And the worst thing about this place is that it is so "competitive". I put the word competitive in quotes because that's a really nice way of putting it. It seems like everyone is out to get each other. Even people on the same team will throw each other under the bus for any reason. Its really common to hear lots of gossip, bad language, and even have people insult each other's capabilities, intelligence and work ethic behind their backs. It's really a shame. It seems like everyone is out to get each other. Its an "us vs them" mentality. If I leave Samsung, it will be bc of the people. I don't mind the long hours or lack of work life balance. I just can't stand to see people being so ugly with each other. It's emotionally wearing me out. Nice people cannot survive here. Only the selfish ones move up and make it for many years.
    -Rank is very important. An Engineer 1 will gets lots of crap, put down and even pushed around or not taken seriously simply because of rank. Its ridiculous.

Advice to Management

We are all trying to accomplish one goal. Why not just work together instead of against each other? It may very well be that the managers here are just puppets to the higher ups in Korea. I guess you do what you gotta do to keep your job. But at some point, if its starts clashing with basic ethics (like integrity and fairness to all employees ) it may be time to walk away.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good construction experience in short time

Cons

Too many politic. Work late. Excecise in the morning was a joke. Don't recommend to work more than a year. Cleaning is first priority if someone from came from Korea to site. Forceing worker to drink is not wise but many old Korean thinks differently

Advice to Management

Learn what is goal of the company and utilize workers wisely. Wasting too many man powers on nothing and giving stupid order to spend a day is not a way of company should do.

"Think twice about this one"

Former Employee - Systems Operations Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Operations Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facility has many perks, cafeterias, coffee, basketball court, gym, decent insurance benefits, 401K, cafeteria allowance, enjoyable co-workers.

Cons

Huge communication barrier. English is not the first language spoken. This causes all kinds of mis communications and assumptions to be had by upper management. It also leaves english speaking employees wondering if they are being talked about right in front of their face, which is most likely the case. Basically was thrown into a situation being told I would be doing a specific job duty, but then was expected to be able to perform all other kinds of skills that were not required for the job tasks at hand. There is a very structured tattle tale system installed as well. If you are not liked, it will be acted like its all good to your face, but then reports of all kinds of inaccuracies and faults are made about you to managers. This is by far the worst work environment I have ever had to deal with.

Advice to Management

Learn how to better communicate directly with your employees instead of listening to the reports and opinions of other managers around your employees. This is no way to get a feel on how your new employees are doing. Maybe having a desk in the same area as your new employees would help too. Communication is key, and this company has none.

"Is it really worth it?"

Former Employee - Meteorology Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Meteorology Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1.) Austin is a very nice place to be, especially for new grads and young singles. It's pretty good for families too.
    2.) Starting salary was better than most.
    3.) Best health insurance I have ever had and will probably ever have, unbeatable.
    4.) Made some really good friends.
    5.) If you are lucky enough to be in the HR department you get to spend some of your day writing bogus glassdoor company reviews (as mandated by management).

Cons

This is my honest story:
    I sarted in 2011 as a new grad electrical engineer, I was hired on in the Metrology department. My first 3 years were pretty good, I worked a lot, came in to work all hours, but I got above average performance reviews and a promotion. Year four I received an average performance review when I thought I was going to get another good review. Year five I got a below average review and was completely shocked (I honestly thought I was going to get above average). I had to formally contest my review, HR did an investigation and changed my review to average. The person writing my reviews was demoted and his superior told me that he wanted me to fill that role. Six weeks later I was terminated by the same person who told me he wanted to promote me, his only reason was "we were expecting some improvement." To this very day I have no idea why I was let go, the stress of being fired with absolutely no warning led to some serious medical conditions for which I now have to take medications for the rest of my life. This is absolutely not an exaggeration, this place almost killed me. I still speak with my friends who are still there and I know of 5 engineers that have left in the last 4 months, nobody in upper management seems to care or doesn't see the trend. I am not writing this review as a bitter ex-employee, getting fired from Samsung has been the best thing to happen to me in a long time, I have a much better job now and my quality of life has improved ten fold.

Advice to Management

What management? Unless in this context management means the spineless liars who will do literally whatever it takes to save face in front of their bosses. In that case my advice would be to keep up the good work, you are obviously doing something right to have gotten this far. However I wouldn't let you manage an ant farm.

"Use as last option"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of problems to solve
    - Decent benefits
    - Great Korean food on site
    - Gerat for building experience

Cons

- Most engineers work ridiculous hours
    - Most managers care too much about butts in chairs, but don't focus much on output - great if you're lazy, bad if you are productive and want to have more flexibility with your earned time. In Korea, the engineers literally show up on Saturday and shamelessly sleep at their desk, but they would be punished passively if they did not show up. This culture is shared at the Austin plant. Why not have more merit-based management? Showing up and not working is wasting everyone's time.
    - Important things tend to happen near the end of the work day, and are often intensionally started during holiday times. Once they started a new process flow on Christmas day. I worked every Christmas for 3 years.

Advice to Management

The problem is really at the very top. The Korean managers operate in a Mad Men style, and they require everyone to brown nose. This leads to managers playing for short term gains that keep the higher ups happy enough but will never result in real success for the company.

"Engineer3"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just health benefits and 1.5 hours lunch time unofficially. Cafeteria with employee discount

Cons

Corrupt directors/managers and sick and tired of politics. Strict rules only for low rank engineers..

11. "Mostly Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. During my 3 years working there, felt my efforts and accomplishments were recognized by my managers, both in words and relative raise and bonuses.
    Manufacturing job, so work environment is fast paced and always changing.
    My fellow department engineers / techs were amazing, the people there are one of the best parts of the job.

Cons

It's very much a Korean company with a plant in Texas. Work life heavily influenced by Korean management that overshadows American management. Influence is almost entirely negative, results in longer working hours and extra work.