Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated September 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good and bonuses are consistent (in 34 reviews)

• Samsung is a great company with good pay and benefits (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance is not very good (in 64 reviews)

• long hours, high stress, not much else to say here (in 31 reviews)

1. "No flexibility or room for advancement"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Location, salary, fun people to work with

Cons

Korean work culture, benefits and work life balance far behind competitors, no opportunity for advancement other than manager track which involves very long hours

2. "Engineer"

Pros

Pay and bonus are good for this area

Cons

Work life balance and hours worked not enough time to achieve goals. Promotions are based on the points system and hard to advance quickly

"Training?Communication? Outdated pagers , work areas, Technology!Are we in the 90's?"

Former Employee - Technician in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits , Samsung does not let you go hungry, they put lunch money in your account. HR department seems to be very helpful.

Cons

Ok ineffective communication throughout the whole site! Outdated pagers, phones don't work properly. Work areas inside the fab and outside of the fab are outdated! Samsung this is the year 2017 get it together! We need consistency here! Bigger computer screens for personnel, multiple screens for employees who are task to have several windows opened at once! Please for the love of god give your employees better tools to communicate. 10 years ago intel gave their employees two way pagers! This was ten years ago! What good is a page when it is difficult to respond to it in a timely manner! I can write another paragraph on how poor Management is but I'm going to leave it here.

Advice to Management

Have open communication with your employees. If you are going to have mid year and yearly reviews please take the time to have regular 1:1 s with your staff. Provide clear direction as well as some type of coaching.

"It's a paycheck"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wanted to wait a few months after I left before writing the review so that I could see which impressions stuck with me and which went away, here is what stuck with me.

* Pay is good and bonuses are consistent
    * Health care plans are well above average
    * Employment is stable
    * Had a stint of mandatory over-time, but ended it as soon as they could and didn't go back. OT is typically voluntary.
    * There are some managers and supervisors who are trying to improve the environment and do the right thing, unfortunately, they're handicapped by policy and higher level management.

Cons

* Rivalries and infighting everywhere. Management actively encourages rivalries between groups (engineers vs. techs, shift vs shift, and employee vs employee). Prepare to spend a lot of time fending off the knives coming at your back.
    * Unsafe, chemical exposures happen here and there. Company will typically blame the effects, such as itching and burning skin due to contact with byproducts on your laundry detergent. In the event of a gas leak, your nose and burning eyes are the only warning your going to get, this has happened a few times
    * Not willing to promote, hires almost exclusively from the outside. Make sure you're going to be happy with your position and pay as there's only enough room for half a dozen promotions in a department with a couple of hundred employees
    * Title and position are everything, it is not uncommon for engineers and managers to attempt to pressure subordinates into doing things against the rules in order to avoid responsibility. A few techs have even been fired for it.
    * If you are a contractor or a lower-level tech, your a disposable commodity, this is worst for the contractors.
    * Will only follow their own policy when convenient and will readily ignore it when it isn't.
    * Organization is exceptionally wasteful and inefficient, systems that don't work and support organizations that require more support that what they provide.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste my time, they clearly don't care.

5. "SAS"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits. Top notch equipment.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment. Constant change. Every year is a make or break year. Depending on your position you might work a ton of hours.

6. "associate"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

good working condition, good benefit, good food!!!

Cons

long hour work, I love SAS

"Engineering"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group interviews of 3-5 people five hours to learn about job. Site very clean and tight security. Escort to restroom. No cell phones permitted.

Cons

Archaic internal technology systems, no Outlook or laptops or working from home. New staff is shocked at how tight culture is. No interest in this company after interviewing. Ask employees how they like their previous company to this one. They are amazed how behind they are internally. No leaving for lunch. Most eat at their desk. No water offered during five hour interviews.

Advice to Management

Your turnover will be high if you don't get updated internally. People will leave after a year with your dated internal systems. Excel, seriously to run reports when systems can run this for you.

8. "My two cents"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Great benefits and well paid. Overtime available and there are a few really great people to work for and with.

Cons

Job satisfaction is lacking. Too many constraints from across the pond.

9. "Engineer II"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

I just started a month ago. The Benicia are great and the work is fun! I've read a lot of other negative reviews before starting. But seeing it first hand I think some people don't like to work hard.

Cons

My commute is a bit long.

"Old company culture with good compensation"

Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Performance Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good work/life balance
    * Nice salary
    * Nice benefits

Cons

* Old company culture, where information on projects is highly controlled, even within sub-teams. This prevents employees from contributing creatively.
    * Slow and highly controlled career path