Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good and bonuses are consistent (in 33 reviews)

• Samsung is a great company with good pay and benefits (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance is not very good (in 64 reviews)

• night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics (in 30 reviews)

"Equipment and Process Technician"

Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Equipment Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great along with the quarterly and annual bonuses. I liked the shift work, it offered plenty of time off.

Cons

Sometimes there was mandatory overtime. Some of the policies seemed unreasonable to me. Work there is mostly reactionary mainly due to the high volume of changes.

Advice to Management

I felt like my hands were tied when trying to move forward with a project because my management didn't understand it nor would take the time to learn it to give permission to move forward. In order for any improvements to be made, it would need pressure from above instead of getting ahead of the curve.

"Over 35 Years of Semiconductor Experience Speaking"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked as an engineer, supervisor and manager for 2 American based, 1 European based and 1 Korean based semiconductor manufacturing companies over a 35+ year career. Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is, by far, the best company in almost every comparable category. The long-term vision for growth at the Austin site makes me wish I were closer to the beginning of my career. Culturally speaking, SAS has the most diversified staff of people at every level and position with which I have ever worked. The opportunities to move up and around are very available. Salaries are very competitive. SAS, more than any company with which I have yet worked, strives to create the best work/life balance. Continuing educational opportunities are provided. The benefits package is very good and well-priced. SAS, more than any other company I have experienced gives back to the community in hundreds of ways and with thousands of dollars. I have worked at SAS for 7 years. I have filled several very enjoyable roles and worked on many very interesting and challenging projects with some of the best people from all over the planet. I came to the Austin area 20 years ago. My wife and I raised 7 children, putting them through the school system here. The culture, diversity and the values in this area make it one of the best places in the world to raise a family.

Cons

Seriously, I have sat staring at this box for 10 minutes racking my brain for anything that I would consider a real "Con" to working at SAS, but I have failed. Does that fact that the batteries in the auto paper towel dispensers drain to quickly count? I don't drink coffee so I can't give you a rating there, other than its free, along with tea and hot cocoa....

Advice to Management

You level of support combined with the level of allowed autonomy is very well balanced. Thank you.

3. "High Tech"

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Very exciting technology to work on

Cons

Difficult environment and management style

Advice to Management

It is not necessary to manage based on constant crisis

4. "Engineering Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Work schedule is really great
    Really good people to work with
    Benefits are the best in the business
    Robotics work is interesting and challenging

Cons

If you want to grow in a company Samsung is not for you. The management doesn't really understand how to motivate their teams, and if you know how to talk the talk they will take that more into consideration than your actual work.
    Promotions come very slowly, it's more about who you know than what you know
    Once you are on a shift it is extremely difficult to get off

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead your people not boss your people. Look at what you employees are doing and reassure but challenge them to go to new heights, do not limit their growth because Samsung Korea says so.

5. "Operations Engineer"

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Benefits, industry leaders, compensation, people

Cons

Work/life balance, size, red tape

"Pay is excellent hours are not"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is hard to beat especially with bonuses

Cons

The hours are long at 50+ at a minimum for engineering.

Advice to Management

Work towards getting 1st shift people at 40 hours a week

7. "Test tech"

Former Employee - Test Tech
    Former Employee - Test Tech

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good benefits,

Cons

- night shift causes health issues, long hours, some politics

Advice to Management

- increase rate differential for night shift staffs,
    -or lower working hours

8. "Challenging work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    Cutting edge work

Cons

Local leaders are controlled by Korea
    No clear direction from management
    Goals are competing

"Ramping-up Production while Ramping-down Morale"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Job security is great, even for under performing employees that have learned how to game the HR policies.

Cons

Some of the worst managers I have ever encountered at any company I have worked for or even heard about second-hand. A lot of them are great people who are just simply not management material, but were forced into their position through attrition. Sadly, taking a few CBTs and instructor-led classes does not transform someone into a manager, yet that's kind of how we operate. There is also a bi-modal Korean management structure that basically causes confusion, misdirection, and to some degree a good amount of favoritism if you happen to speak Korean.

Advice to Management

A good portion of engineers at the company are tired of the nonsense and mismanagement of their time. Quit treating everyone like they are immediately replaceable unless you want a workforce that is only coming through the doors everyday for a paycheck and not to make the company sucessful. In some departments, it's already reaching a tipping point where you don't have the luxury of just replacing people who are leaving with new hires because you kind of need experienced engineers to train them. I think that last bit is a pretty big issue, but that's just my humble opinion.

10. "Integration Engineering"

Former Employee - PIE Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - PIE Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money, so-so on work hours - was tending to become overbearing.

Cons

Training plan / training expectations was non-existent. No core basic management skills were visibly apparent.

Advice to Management

SAS is growing very fast - without a solid plan in place for new hires and current management, all I can foresee is constant fire fighting / finger pointing.