Samsung Electronics America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Samsung Electronics America President and CEO Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, bonuses, and you can work from home" (in 60 reviews)

• "Face paced tech environment with good benefits" (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no work life balance unless you force the situation" (in 141 reviews)

• "No work life balance and lots of politics" (in 56 reviews)

1. "Good to work"

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gap between contractor and RFT

Cons

5days PTO per year too low and so on

Advice to Management

Need to hire more RFT not contractor

2. "It was a wonderful experience"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The love of the job, the experience I have, the love of technology, the love of working in a big country and the love of having a office

Cons

Working together as Co worker

3. "Challenging, but exciting"

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team works hard and solves for ambiguous problems. Some have a hard time navigating, but some can thrive.

Cons

Constantly evolving organization, but this keeps things interesting.

"Success can be gained in two ways, work yourself to edge off reason, or be a "yes" person to someone with power"

Pros

Excellent compensation for most workers and benefits cannot be beat. You need to negotiate well coming in. If there are promises made get them in writing.

Despite my list of cons, the right type of personality can be successful here. I thrive despite my unhappiness. It's a bit like a significant other that is toxic but the small moments of joy keep you there. I also live most of the people I work with. It could also be the devil I know is likely better than the devil I don't. Many leave here and want to come back even though their complaints mirror mine below.

We've been through hell the last year or two, and we're still kicking butt.

Cons

High instance of office politics. Decisions are often made to appease the politics or because a demand is made by someone who is not directly involved in the business and/or is not even working directly in the US. Like many US workplaces there are those who will complain that success is not feasible because they are being treated unfairly due to their gender, race, or even age. Some are actually right but others have learned to use it to their advantage.

I work with many people more interested in their own personal power gain than they are actually improving business or customer outcomes.

There is no work life balance unless you force the situation. Those that do are usually managed out or put on low priority work with little chance to grow.

Often projects are launched quickly without sufficient planning or scoping. Follow up to ensure improvement is difficult.

You will grow to hate the process of getting anything approved. Finance teams have entirely too much power and control.

You will encounter unreasonable and unobtainable expectations and goals. How you respond is up to you.

Advice to Management

As much as you will struggle with this, you need strong US culture based leadership. Pushing Baxter out won't end well. Decisions affecting so many US employees should not be made in late evening meetings with only Korean attendees. You have a large number of leadership that either distrust their American employees, believe they're lazy and worthless, or both.

"Growth!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Great benefits, Growth, Diversity

Cons

Work comes first! Need better work balance

"Strong Pros and Strong Cons"

Current Employee - Manager II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager II in New York, NY

Pros

Flexible work schedule and location, pays well within industry

Cons

Company is handcuffed by processes and inflexibility, limited clarity in direction

7. "Marketing"

Pros

Reastaurant was good and cheap

Cons

Hierarchical environment was a bit bad

"No process. The nepotism make the office incompetent top down."

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Luckily, I was able to be exposed to a big company and understand cultural differences in Eastern and Western eCommerce. There are a few people qualified for their jobs.

Cons

They expect you to be a "yes man". They will promise you things if you do what you're told. Your professional opinions do not matter. The PMs ideas are the best, even though they are given little thought. PMs will be in meetings all day and come to you at 3pm to do a handoff and the turn around is EoD or "ASAP". I once was told to go to an "all hands" meeting and it was a meeting in where the VP hired his motivational/religious friends that worked at Microsoft to give a speech on buying his book. Huge HR violation.

Advice to Management

Get rid of them. Hire people who can do their jobs and understand the products.

9. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, and good people.

Cons

If you can't adapt to things changing on a minute by minute basis you will never make it at Samsung Electronics America. It is a lot of work but if you make it at Samsung you can make it in any company.

Advice to Management

Stick to the thing that work and stop throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. Stop the crazy work days make the job Tuesday through Saturday.

"Decent benefits, but..."

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits including healthcare and pto

Cons

Managers lack leadership or do not know how to manage.