Samsung Electronics America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Samsung Electronics America President and CEO Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, bonuses, and you can work from home" (in 57 reviews)

• "Face paced tech environment with good benefits" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is fine for the people that have it fine" (in 126 reviews)

• "No work life balance and lots of politics" (in 52 reviews)

"Samsung Electronic America"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Samsung Electronics America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. I was treated very well at Samsung. I enjoyed my time there. If it weren't for the product line being discontinued I'd still be there. Great benefits and good people.

Cons

Not a place for slackers. If you are you will not like it here.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time

Pros

Fast paced, ever changing environment which keeps me engaged and excited.

Cons

Looks for you to self manage and that is hard for some.

Advice to Management

Continue to trust your people.

3. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, Bergen, NJ

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Diverse culture and learning programs

Cons

Hard to maintain work and life Balance

Advice to Management

Need to change old fashioned management

4. "Challenging"

Pros

Company products and reputation for innovation

Cons

management culture sometimes out of line with US culture

Advice to Management

Focus on employees

"Great innovative company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are great. Mostly people who really like a challenge which makes for very engaged and committed colleagues.

Cons

There’s so much to do I often have a hard time shutting down.

Advice to Management

Improve in the area of change management and communication. A lot of changes take too long to get worked out, decided and communicated.

Samsung Electronics America Response

Nov 27, 2018 – People Experience

Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad you love working here. As we have dozens of products that are sold all over the world, we understand that life can get very busy here. That's why we provide... More

"Incredibly bureaucratic, seemingly meaningless work, but hey, seems like they pay most people pretty well."

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time

Pros

A pretty nice campus with some cute dogs and a cafe with free coffee and tea. Cafeteria has pretty good variety too. Parking is plentiful and it's in a safe and quiet neighborhood next to a golf course. People seem to get paid pretty well in general at Samsung in comparison to a lot of other competing Bay Area tech companies.

Cons

1. Incredibly bureaucratic, hierarchical structure makes things difficult:
    Now this is going to be the complaint of most everyone at large international corporations. I'm totally aware of that and am also aware of what other large corporations are like internally. The bureaucracy is on another level at Samsung. Every decision you make in management at some point in the chain goes back to Korea. Everything you do on your work computer is monitored by someone in Korea. You must fill out intense and tedious paperwork to gain approval to do almost anything and take extensive classes to learn how to assess your employees, your coworkers, your managers in the terms asked by HQ (every employee learns this pretty quickly it's not just a manager thing lol.) A lot of the issues in management and hierarchy are cultural to Samsung's business in Korea. Although management in the US across departments are constantly attempting to change their work environments, they cannot change where the budget comes from. Every decision made about every product / project comes down to the opinion of an executive. It's pretty exhausting. I'm sure it's probably exhausting for some of the executives too.

2. Sunday is Monday in Korea:
    Work life balance is fine for the people that have it fine. For those who don't...it's not. This is something once again you'll find most anywhere but one thing is for sure -- Sunday in the US is Monday in Korea.

3. Not really a forward thinking company:
    Overall Samsung is not really a forward thinking company. They have some great products and the semiconductor business is going well for those involved in that (they have a beautiful campus in San Jose.) But overall Samsung is often fighting against itself. Concepts are thrown away immediately if they do not make profit, teams are downsized at the will of executives to make room for new projects that get shut down when they don't immediately perform at the capacity executives would like. There is not "lets build something for 5 years out". It's mostly a business based on "How do we make sales in the next two years?" All Silicon Valley companies are aiming towards the future in some sense but a good way to gauge how forward thinking a company may be is the number of employees. Companies who hire large staff for research and concept building tend to keep more in the vault. That being said there is an incredibly large number of Samsung employees in Korea and many groundbreaking innovations in HQ. The same just simply can't be said for most of its American subsidiaries.

Even if the money is worth the stress temporarily it seems like there's a pretty high turnaround. Not sure where your limits are but seems like most are about 2 years. I'm not actually sure if that's good or bad, that's just how it is.

Advice to Management

Honestly a lot of managers in the US seem to know what they are doing. I would beg mgmt in the US to do everything possible not to micromanage their teams even further and to hire larger teams (which I know isn't the easiest thing because of budget.)

Samsung Electronics America Response

Nov 27, 2018 – People Experience

Thank you for your review. As a global organization with our headquarters based in South Korea, it's important that we have a close relationship with our headquarters counterparts. However, we... More

"Great company if in the right department"

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, bonuses, and you can work from home

Cons

Favortism is evident in the work place

Advice to Management

Treat ALL employees the same.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good name on your resume, nice campus

Cons

This company doesn't care about her employees at all - when team lay off happens due to frequent product roadmap changes (usually because of senior leadership in Korea changes their mind), there will be a lot of lay off to teams in Mountain View and New Jersey. Change, is common in silicon valley, but Samsung's throwing away employees like garbage as a result of the change is very very uncommon in silicon valley. Other big-name companies will make sure people laid off can be settled into other hiring needs of other internal teams, but Samsung won't do it. And other big-name companies will make sure when a lay-off notice is made to the employee, the impacted employees will have two months or even one year of paid time to search for internal jobs or external jobs, but Samsung won't do it, and Samsung will only gives you about 10 days of notice, and HR will stop picking up your calls to help you search for internal roles because you're on the list to be laid off.

Advice to Management

If you don't take care of your employees, your employees won't take care of you either. Please work on your employee relationship to settle laid off employees well, by giving them more weeks for advanced notice, and by giving them more opportunities to be settled internally with teams who're hiring.

"Samsung electronics america"

Pros

Face paced tech environment with good benefits.

Cons

Expected to work endless hours

"Politics, chaos, bad culture"

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefit is above average in the Bay Area

Cons

The upper management team does not appreciate your hard work and the contribution you made. The weird Korean culture makes them think employees shall appreciate the opportunity they get from the company no matter what it is. Individual contributors have to deal with politics a lot. The HR team is another chaos. They are not there to help employees solve problems but to make things more complicated and worse. Every one in the management team is busy with politics, nobody cares about the technology and business.

Advice to Management

Find better US Management team instead of assigning one from Korea who does not know the US culture. And give US team enough trust and flexibility. Otherwise, why bother to have a site in the US.