Samsung Electronics America Employee Reviews about "korea"

Updated Aug 26, 2020

3.1
Samsung Electronics America President and CEO YH Eom
YH Eom
Pros
Cons
  • "Work Life balance (working 50 hrs minimum per week)(in 162 reviews)

• "All approvals have to come from Korea(in 80 reviews)

Reviews about "korea"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Review"

5.0
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Berkeley Heights, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Management is predominantly from Korea

2. COVID-19

"Wide Variance, Okay Overall"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good (not great) compensation. Great benefits. My work life balance has always been exceptionally good, although I’ve heard of Sales-related teams and our Korean staff having awful hours. The people, for the most part, are really nice. The Chelsea offices are convenient and beautiful—slightly less fun to commute to NJ, but Samsung has let me work from home most days even before COVID.

Cons

Wide variance in experiences. I’ve heard some people who work 12+ hour days, some people who slack and get away with it. Everything is silo’ed. Very little cross-departmental work. Compensation is good, but not compared to other tech companies (Samsung comp. is probably more in line with IBM vs Apple). SEA also takes marching orders from Korea, so sometimes little autonomy in making the right business decisions vs what you’re told to do. Lots of young people, and then tons of dinosaurs—again, huge variance. Lots of people who work at Samsung and then jump to Spotify, etc., but then tons of older staff from RadioShack, PC Richards, etc., which is not ideal.

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Summer Intern

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time

Pros

A very organized summer internship program

Cons

A bit hierachy and a mix of US and Korea culture

4. "Samsung Electronics America- Analyst"

Former Contractor - Marketing Data Analyst

I worked at Samsung Electronics America for less than a year

Pros

Friendly colleagues, free parking, subsidized meals

Cons

All approvals have to come from Korea

"Competitive salaries"

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time

Pros

Salary was competitive along with perks and discounts on products throughout the year with flexible remote work options as work from home is accepted at Samsung.

Cons

Top down culture, people on the bottom don't have a say, it's dominated by HQ in South Korea

"Chaos!"

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

401K match, mileage reimbursement, not getting stuck behind a desk, peers are usually pretty awesome, get access to cutting edge technology.

Cons

Constant fear from being externalized or layed off. Upper management is disconnected and changes direction frequently. Drastically underpaid for the job I do. It's one of the only reasons I want to leave Samsung. No budget to truly influence change in our territories. As an FSM, you have very few, if any opportunities, for promotion. Schedules change all the time and with no notice. All admin time is off the clock and done at home. Sales goals change frequently and payouts are dismal. The company thrives on chaos and everything is controlled from Korea. Everything is last minute with no clear direction on how to execute. Have to work weekends and holidays with huge black out periods.

Continue reading

"Korean influenced company culture"

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are nice and polite.

Cons

1. Literally, every actions in the US are required "Korean HQ" approval. Key technology and works for sure are limited in Korea only. 2. Cultural barrier seems not a big problem but it is in fact. It's happened on most of meeting that on the half way of meeting, people start foreign language conversation and half of attendees hanging there until the end of the meeting. 3. Basically, all employees are disposable once the upper manger like to cut down the budget. 4. Difficulty to get Visa for foreign employees. 2/3 of employees are foreigners, so USCIS easily block applicants. Now, HR makes it more difficult to apply it. 5. Bureaucratic and politics are common issue of this company

Continue reading

"Failed Korean Leadership retired in US"

1.0
    Former Employee - Business Planning Manager

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Salary, Good Benefit, Good Korean / non-Korean People

Cons

Korean leadership failed to survive in Korea, HQ. Try to retire in US to save their As and kicking out all the local leaders. If you are not an dispatcher or A-sucker, you won't survive

Continue reading

"Good place for cruising"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice offices and pretty good food if you like Korean food at the cafeteria. Both large campuses in the bay area are nice. If you ARE happy be with good above average salary and can put up with crap it's a great place so spend a.couple years and build a house or something. Mid senior level where you avoid contact with Korean bosses are best positions.

Cons

Top down hierarchical and patriarchal culture with added process that want a reciept for every dollar. Yes that's not just statement they want a reciept for every 1 dollar. The processes are mind numbing. Performance reviews and projects need to go to Korea for approval and you will be treated 2nd class at higher levels but money's pretty good for a short time.

"No Opportunity"

1.0
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time

Pros

Great experience, pay, benefits, resume booster

Cons

No opportunity for growth, very militarized leadership, every process needs to be approved by Korea

Found 80 reviews