Samsung Research America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Decent benefits - All bonuses are in cash - I found the work life balance manageable" (in 13 reviews)

• "Good benefits, smart colleagues, Silicon Valley management is good" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Labs report to HQ in Korea, but most employees don't understand what HQ wants" (in 11 reviews)

• "Lacking some of the progressive programs in comparison to other Silicon Valley companies" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Management cares about it's employees & very competitive compensation.

Cons

The uncertainty year to year on project funding [from Korea]

Advice to Management

Keep trying to build strong relationships with different groups and secure longer term funding/projects

Feb 1, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the review and we're happy to hear you have been enjoying your time with us! We will continue to work on building relationships between our employee groups and securing engaging... More

2. "Mediocre"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice campus, facility. Good office position.

Cons

Traditional management. Direction keep changing.

"Run!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is slightly above average, but there is zero upside, even when when the company significantly exceeds.

Cons

They will suck all of the knowledge and life out of you. Most are looking to jump ship, the only thing keeping some is the external brand name.

Advice to Management

The previous president had an approval rating of 40% and got promoted when he went back to Korea. This one is at 17% and still here. What advice should I give?

4. "One of the best places to work in Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Engineering Leader in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Leader in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

- Ability to be able to spend time on researching technologies and also be able to build and deliver products that help business
    - Opportunities to collaborate with several teams across Globe (US, Canada, Korea, India, China, UK to name a few)

Cons

I have read many negative reviews earlier where some of the labs didn't have a clear direction. However, in my experience I haven't encountered that yet. As long as we ensure the efforts we put forth benefit the grand scheme of things and become an influential part of a developing Organization, there are no Cons.

Advice to Management

The key to success is this:
    - Engineers are measured by the effort spent
    - Managers are measured by deliverables
    When the managers ensure that their engineers are putting efforts in the right direction (in consensus to business needs), the workplace is a happy place.

The leadership should make sure that they focus on that for the Organizational success.

Jun 29, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are happy to hear you've been enjoying your time with us! We will continue to improve and will take note of your feedback and advice to... More

"Dirty Politics in Dallas"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big name recognition. Benefits are competitive

Cons

Dallas Management is very dirty. They play politics, recognition isn't based on merits but how much you kiss up to your management. People who are really smart, good leaders and recognized outside are treated badly. HR is no good and seems playing to be on management's good side. Leaders seriously lack of management skill. Their management skills are intimidation, and making you feel dispensable. Since HR seems to be no help, you find no balance in corporate governance.

Advice to Management

Change leadership in Dallas. You can't use the same old dirty leadership and look for a different result.

"It's a nightmare"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Average to good pay compared to other semiconductor

Cons

This place is a NO. Working here is a nightmare. I'm not talking about Samsung Electronics. The SRA is a nightmare. The culture is poisonous. Your colleagues want to kill you to protect themselves.

Advice to Management

Help clean the poisonous culture.

"Staff researcher engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good campus and good food.

Cons

the management is very dirty, everything depends on the leader. They can hire any person they want, even they don't have any work experience in the related area. They can kill u anytime they want, even you have lots of achievements. They only care about the politics. Some people's job is playing politics and kick these good people.

Advice to Management

please resign

"Be afraid"

Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money is quite good.

Cons

Everything else is very bad.

Advice to Management

Just stop the micro crap and the mindset that everyone else is your minion.

"Morals is dead here"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is averagely higher than other similar places

Cons

You feel the tension here. I am under hige pressure from my manager. He calls me during weekends. Awkward management. I had a colleague who was simply removed just because he complained about his manager's oppressions to HR. Such a friendly and smart colleague he was.

Advice to Management

Manage your human resources more carefully. They are removing true talents which company needs.

May 18, 2018 – Communications Manager

Hi and thank you for your response. I am so sorry to hear about your negative experiences with SRA so far. We are constantly working to promote a culture of open-communication where everyone can be... More

"Hope I can find something better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great insurance
    - Great team (not sure about other teams)
    - Interesting product

Cons

- user activity monitoring, blocking useful web-content because of security policy and other nice features of "corporate culture". I realized that this is the first time when I don't want to even open my work mac at home to not to compromise myself somehow.
    - "Dispatchers" - when someone is looking over my shoulder *how* I'm doing *what* your ordered - this is too much.
    - ugly office
    - no stocks
    - no silicon valley spirit
    - I don't see my future here

Advice to Management

Give more freedom to employees, otherwise you'll get robots, but not people.

Mar 24, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. I'm sorry to hear about some of the experiences you have had with us at SRA. You're definitely correct in that allowing our employees a sense of autonomy and... More