Samsung Research America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent benefits - All bonuses are in cash - I found the work life balance manageable (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, smart colleagues, Silicon Valley management is good (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Labs report to HQ in Korea, but most employees don't understand what HQ wants (in 11 reviews)

• Lacking some of the progressive programs in comparison to other Silicon Valley companies (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Management cares about it's employees & very competitive compensation.

Cons

The uncertainty year to year on project funding [from Korea]

Advice to Management

Keep trying to build strong relationships with different groups and secure longer term funding/projects

Feb 1, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the review and we're happy to hear you have been enjoying your time with us! We will continue to work on building relationships between our employee groups and securing engaging... More

2. "researcher"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

flexibilities, u have time to learn new things

Cons

politics, some dirty tricks all the time. if u r working with some people who are not liked by other politician people, u will be toured by these politician people. Politician means some non-engineer people whose jobs are playing politics.

Advice to Management

please trust the people who can deliever

"Hope I can find something better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great insurance
    - Great team (not sure about other teams)
    - Interesting product

Cons

- user activity monitoring, blocking useful web-content because of security policy and other nice features of "corporate culture". I realized that this is the first time when I don't want to even open my work mac at home to not to compromise myself somehow.
    - "Dispatchers" - when someone is looking over my shoulder *how* I'm doing *what* your ordered - this is too much.
    - ugly office
    - no stocks
    - no silicon valley spirit
    - I don't see my future here

Advice to Management

Give more freedom to employees, otherwise you'll get robots, but not people.

Mar 24, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. I'm sorry to hear about some of the experiences you have had with us at SRA. You're definitely correct in that allowing our employees a sense of autonomy and... More

4. "engineer"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time

Pros

nice place to work with mobile development

Cons

no stock and salary is not higher enough

Advice to Management

ok

"I am not sure they know I exist."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance.
    Decent benefits. Nice people.
    Entertaining company nonsense most days.

Cons

- Sometimes I wonder why Samsung bothers to keep SRA running because they seem to think all we are is a worthless money pit. Consequently they seem more motivated only to cut costs. They make arbitrary edicts for which we must comply for no reason. Ask why something happens and they'll tell you "HQ said so".
    - We try to do work but management seems to want us to work on nothing most days. It makes no sense.
    - Almost everything is pointless.
    - Low levels of diversity in positions of leadership. (And generally everywhere.)
    - Paperwork.
    - Patent quotas.
    - Good base salary, but you can get better compensation at other companies. Raises are stingy.
    - Approach to funding creates incentives leading to inefficiencies. Stingy budgets. Cheap cheap cheap.

Advice to Management

Maybe you should stop telling us that things could be so much worse if HQ implemented all of their terrible ideas. Instead help build trust between us working in SRA and HQ. Learn to make us feel valued, increase autonomy, delegate more decision making ability to SRA.

Apr 24, 2018 – Communications Manager

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your feedback regarding how we can continue to build an inclusive company culture that allows our employees to feel valued and... More

6. "Look elsewhere"

Pros

Nice campus, and relatively good benefits. And there are pockets of strong talent, although they seem to be leaving fairly quickly.

Cons

Very non people centric approach, and anything different is smoke and mirrors. They really are looking for what they can suck out of you today. I have certainly witnessed that in my short time here, with myself and others.

Advice to Management

Stop the rotating expat program at the senior most level, flashing their company paid cars while cutting costs for the rank and file.

Apr 1, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review and we're glad to hear your approval of our campus and benefits! We appreciate your feedback regarding your experiences with the culture and environment and want to... More

"Sorry you let us down"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good onboarding process and informative orientation - if that's enough to retain you and work at your highest potential

Cons

Management plays it cheap against top performing employees who have high work ethics. Mid management cannot tolerate good work ethics, nor the competitive talent. I have worked with a high caliber product manager, well experienced and well qualified, who was thrown under the bus by their utterly unethical leaders. Fault? Highly qualified woman employee, talking the language of competitive advantage, innovation and voice of customers, to incompetent and insecure peers while giving damn to internal politics. This person was treated so badly and was shown the door by misusing her sincerity and trust in human resources. HR has no voice and dances on the music of management, and worst pretends to be in favor of employees. Corporate governance is at total failure, because there is no such thing as corporate governance. Whatever a manager at position of power and politics decides, becomes the HR policy of the day. That's the reason discrimination is flourishing so pitilessly that I hear my peers saying threatening things like 'I will see her outside' and 'throw them out of the door' etc. I loathed when some of my best peers left the company and some were pushed out. It is only the quality of my work that is keeping me here, not sure for how long though. I have to call it a place that has shocked me and often surprises me in all negative ways.

Advice to Management

Revive your mid management. Revive your HR department and give them the education and power to develop human capital. HR as your puppets are becoming the reason for irreversible failure of corporate governance. Have your skin in the game when it comes to rewarding and retaining worthy employees out of the pretentious lot. You have a long way to go in creating a culture of people first, at least start by eliminating the demons.

Mar 13, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback helps flag many important points that we are trying to work on. SRA is dedicated to helping create and maintain an environment where all... More

8. "Human Resources"

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, beautiful campus, understanding and supporting managers and leader. Value for views and suggestions. Keep you updated with the management changes. perfect work life balance

Cons

heavy traffic in MV
    Miss holiday party

Feb 1, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thanks for the review and we hope you'll be able to make the Holiday party next time!

9. "Fantastic On-Boarding Experience"

Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources Operations in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Human Resources Operations in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My New Hire orientation was informative, detailed and fun. Was a lot of information, but the follow-up emails sent to me ensured I was set up for success in getting everything covered as needed for new employee.

Cons

Bit more info on Samsung subsidiaries would be nice

Jan 25, 2018 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. Happy to hear you had a pleasant onboarding experience, welcome to SRA!

10. "Where everyone knows my name!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing team. Collaborative culture. Fast-paced environment. Super-smart team members. Strong work-ethics

Cons

In order to compete with other SV companies, we need to improve our perks.

Advice to Management

More teamwork events. Vending machines with Samsung products. Having our own "Demonstration area" would be wonderful!!! We need to brag about our amazing success.