Samsung Research America Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.8
Samsung Research America CEO Joon Lee
Joon Lee
Pros
  • "2: Decent salaries in cash and good benefits(in 26 reviews)

• "friendly work environment, lots of freedom(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There is no stock for compensation(in 15 reviews)

• "Time difference with HQ in Korea(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Very happy to be working here

Jul 23, 2020 - Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are genuinely seeking to improve the experience of employees. Salary and benefits are generous (like many companies in Silicon Valley). They've bred a great culture in my team, as I get along well with my coworkers and manager.

Cons

Some business decisions can be opaque and IT systems convoluted due to HQ being in Korea.

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your feedback. Have a great day!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Always working to improve our organization

Apr 26, 2021 - Lab Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for about 3 years now. SRA makes an effort to hear its employees and creates many opportunities for employees to voice their concerns. Joon makes an effort to improve our workplace and works closely with HR to ensure we are heard. I've gotten to know Joon through some of the meetings I've attended and I think he does his best to communicate with everyone of all different levels. HR does a great job onboarding remote employees and ensuring they have everything they need to get started. It has been really difficult for everyone since the pandemic hit and I've seen the effort everyone makes to keep it going.

Cons

There are no cons to note at the moment

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It's great to hear you're enjoying your time at SRA! We appreciate your feedback.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

high pace and innovative company

May 7, 2021 - Senior Research Engineer in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

lots of new and cutting edge projects to work on , good medical compensation

Cons

good salary compared locally, but no stocks

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Better than you may think from outside

May 5, 2021 - Vice President in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities to work for industry-leading Samsung businesses. Great work life balance for most people. Competitive Salary.

Cons

Cross-team collaboration opportunities are rare if not unavailable

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

SRA Review

Apr 17, 2021 - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pride to work for one of the world's best employers; many opportunities to work on exciting projects across a wide range of consumer electronic devices; very nice and smart colleagues around; most co-workers are hardworking and professional.

Cons

compensation is not as good as FAANG mostly due to no stock options

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write us a review! Your feedback is very important to us and helps us continue to make SRA a great place to work.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

great place to work

Apr 19, 2021 - Principal Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people and the pay are great! SRA can attract top people and they provide the resources to do good work

Cons

The work can be somewhat siloed as it is difficult to know what is going on in other groups at SRA

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you are enjoying you time at SRA. Have a great day!

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Big Company with lots of resources but toxic culture

May 4, 2021 - User Experience Designer in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of budget and resources, lots of smart people working on interesting projects

Cons

As a subsidiary you have no power to influence the larger company most projects get either scrapped or outright stolen by HQ

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very nice company

Mar 17, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of interesting project to work on and many opportunities to grow - Up-to-date tech stack - Good work life balance - Job stability -- especially important during the pandemic - Friendly environment and team. - Caring employer, there are a lot of employee support programs for both individuals and families. - In general it is a company willing to invest in long term for its employees and it's family friendly.

Cons

- Technical documentation is a bit lacking, - Cross region coordination with other Samsung department could be a little challenging. - Some Samsung internal systems seem to be old and need updates. - No stocks. (Whether if it's a pro or con is debatable)

Sr. manager HR Ops

Thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that your time at SRA has been a positive experience. Have a great day!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great team, great leadership

Apr 26, 2021 - Staff Engineer in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of exciting and ambitious projects ongoing in Standards and Mobility Lab (SMI) at SRA.

Cons

Lots of influence and guidance from HQ in Korea

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello there! Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad to hear you are enjoying your projects and thriving at SRA. We appreciate your feedback.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the best places to work for

Apr 1, 2021 - Engineer, Senior Staff/Manager in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Very cutting-edge innovation and research. -Ability to propose and work on ideas and potentially bring it to market like a startups -Open communication with all high up the leadership

Cons

-Heavy paperwork even for a small expense -Multiple HR applications with the headache of remembering and changing passwords every 3 month

Sr. manager HR Ops

Hello and thank you for feedback. Please know that we will share your suggestions to the appropriate teams. We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 335 Reviews