Samsung Research America Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Samsung Research America President Yongje (YJ) Kim
Yongje (YJ) Kim

Pros
  • Good benefits, smart colleagues, Silicon Valley management is good (in 18 reviews)

• At the time I was there they were loyal, reasonable about work/life balance and the benefits were Best in Class (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much interference from HQ in Korea (in 10 reviews)

• work / Life balance is pretty good in general, but sometimes, it can get pretty busy (in 10 reviews)

1. "Frustrated!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Decent cafeteria
    Has potential

Cons

Teams like TTT are amazing with great vision and leadership. Besides that, leaders as well as team members struggle to get approvals on the smallest things from HQ.
    Its a very frustrating environment for engineers, designers and researchers. Huge turnover of leaders brings instability in the teams. HR doesnt help much.

Advice to Management

Bring in better leaders across various disciplines (tech as well as non-tech)

"staff engineer"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can always cheat your manager since he/she may not know projects/code/research.

Cons

--All of politics, like "politics in south korean"
    --Very bad culture
    --Very close
    -- No real-world product, just for "demonstration purpose"
    -- Research also very bad
    --- All big name people left, such as ACM fellow, IEEE fellow, etc.
    ---Many managers do not help employees to grow up, instead only squeeze the surplus value from employees

Advice to Management

If you have any other choices, do not work there.

"worst working conditions encountered"

Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Test Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice buildings, beautiful office, nice cafeteria and Gym.

Cons

I worked QA in R&D, project changed directions on a daily basis, making it very frustrating making previous day's work a waste. Extreme micromanaging creating a very tense atmosphere. Absolutely would not recommend to no one... Worst job in my 20 year career.

"Terrible, huge attrition rate, loss of great people, current executives need to be replaced"

Current Employee - Senior in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent potential, good medical, compensation is industry average, overall benefits is reasonable but not great

Cons

Poor outlook, executive level has no understanding of projects but still tries to dictate, power struggles from undereducated project managers.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, learn silicon valley ways, promote only those proven, hire within, verify people you are hiring are actually what they claim to be.

"Honest work doesn't pay off."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Samsung Research America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Posibility of making "the next big thing"
    Nice Office

Cons

Improper Leveling & Expectations
    Horrible office politics
    Decision by highest paid opinion
    Lack of acknowledgment

Advice to Management

US Managment is powerless when Korea steps in with their patriarchal thinking. US employees are third class citizens.

"Don't work here or SEA or anywhere that has Samsung in it's name"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay (see cons on why the pay is good), cheap food.

Cons

Where do I begin? I could write a book. They lied to me about the culture when I referenced Glassdoor reviews. They lied to me about projects and priorities. The day I walked in to work on Day 1 it's nothing like I was promised. The world is controlled by clueless Koreans. They don't know jack about product development. There is no process for decision making. It random at best. The so called "top management" gets hired for 2 years at a time. So they just do whatever to keep extending their tenure. There is no rationale behind anything. No trust. No empathy. No nothing. I mean literally nothing. The result is people work there only for the money. No one has any passion for the product or customer or company whatsoever. They have to pay people a ton of money to put up with this and it's not necessarily a good thing. This place is full incompetent people and incompetent processes. I wonder how they're managing to sell products. I hear horror stories of racial discrimination from other employees. I wish I hadn't joined Samsung. Don't kill your career. You will be humiliated to the core. Don't sell your soul.

Advice to Management

Please learn how to build a good work ethic.

Oct 3, 2016 – Communications Manager

These are very serious and troubling allegations. While this review is not representative of our culture, I take this allegation very seriously. Making sure we have a safe and supportive workplace is ... More

"Interference from Korea. CEO has no idea about research."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America (Less than a year)

Pros

Salaries, health benefits, decent campus.

Cons

- No gym.

- Korean R&D managers and project leaders in Suwon are untrusting of their US colleagues, regardless of the US employees' credentials or track record. They have no idea about what it means to conduct research. The CEO is specially bad at micro managing, and has no experience in managing an international workforce, has poor communication skills, and lacks vision.

Advice to Management

Please wake up to the realities of operating with a global workforce.
    - Treat all employees (Korean and non-Korean) with the respect that they deserve.
    - Understand that non-Koreans are professionals too who are also trying hard to work towards the good of the company.
    - Have all your Korean managers and PLs undergo periodic mandatory cultural sensitivity and professional etiquette training as well as English cla…

Oct 3, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear about the cultural barrier, which is in part due to our need to work closely with our other global R&D operations, including HQ in South Korea. At SRA we ... More

"Worst Company"

Former Employee - Design Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Design Director in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Competitive salary & benefits...not much else

Cons

So much turnover at every level of the company. No leadership or vision. All about superficial appearances. The few labs I interacted with who seemed to be doing well independently from the HQ chaos eventually have all folded or disbanded. Only men in leadership positions. Only Yes Men are promoted. Constant reshuffling every year to avoid accountability. Clash of cultures between Korea and America. Samsung isn't interested in the long term development of global employees, only uses satellite labs to train employees back at HQ. Working here is in violation of your soul. Don't do it!!!!

Advice to Management

You are about to be undercut by the Chinese in the hardware business and have no idea about software...there needs to be some serious leadership changes for Samsung.

Oct 3, 2016 – Communications Manager

Thank you for the review. I am disappointed to hear about your troubling experience with HQ in South Korea. We are constantly working to improve communications between our U.S. and Korean offices ... More

"Corrupt and Colluding Facilities Department along with Korean-HR practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Pay and Benefits, many good souls there, including the good Koreans....They just hang in there because the best it gets in life for them....

Cons

Man I can write a book on this one, recruit employees in facilities with no life and a GED as far as education and real skill. HR and legal are paid to keep them out of court, because they have dodged bullets many times by settling internally all the crap they have pulled on employees and given big severance packages, so people don't make public the horrific things that happen , and the cowardly thing is the Korean Facilities Management will berate you in that North Korean forum, but if they see you at the grocery store would run like cowards! Support Apple, Chinese companies, American, Japanese, anyone
    and related good companies, God Bless America! Not that North Korean Island in the middle of Silicon valley...Very corrupt...Very colluding! Beware, the stress of listening to these idiots and their ideology will make you wonder how these kind of people are allowed to prosper and do business in the USA! Apple got paid in that suit for a reason! Don't expose good kids to that environment, serious....

Advice to Management

Get it together and stop believing everything your Korean brothers tell you or the yes men, often corrupt liars! What is hilarious is I would speak w/ many Developers, Engineers and related in complete confidence and they had a saying for the place"The Evil Empire."

Oct 3, 2016 – Communications Manager

While this review is not representative of our culture, I take this allegation very seriously. Making sure that we hire the best and build a collaborative and fair workplace is our top priority. It ... More

"Technical Product Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, food. Cafeteria is not bad.

People generally seem nice. They know what they need and will do anything to get it.

Cons

Long hours, highly deceptive job description, verbally abusive and colluding facilities department. There is no direction and Korean style mentally is toxic for American employees.

Avoid if possible. Made the mistake of joining (moving from a far location) now it has effectively destroyed my career.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

You guys are very lucky I didn't file a law suit.

These word can only scratch the surface......Verbally abusive. Physically abusive. Profanity. Racist. Sexist. Senseless. Backward thinking. Idea stealers. Back stabbing.

Typical 1960s Korean politics mentally. You cannot run this place like a 1960 Korean military style. We are not at war. And don't just use people up and throw them away. Eventually these things catch up to the organization. Bad leaderships collapses in on itself.

Also. Word of advice. True innovation happens on the next curve, not just copying and putting things together. That's not innovation.

You will eventually lose talent. It's doesn't matter if you get ahead by building memory chips with more power. The company will eventually collapse from within.

The secret behind most success if work ethnic. By far you guys work the hardest in the valley. But re work is not effective. And neither is just blasting people for more work when they are overworked to begin with.

Never work for another company like this again. God you people are horrible. You know who I am so don't even bother replying to this.

Advice to Management

70%+ attrition rate is not normal. Know how to tell the difference between a leader and manipulator. Leaders don't panic and blame, they gather and build team.

Jun 1, 2016 – Communications Manager