Found 4 of over 582 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Management always hedging their bets." (in 36 reviews)
- "Hierarchical culture" (in 16 reviews)
- "Bad behavior is rarely punished as the bad manager shifts the blame to some other (probably bad) manager." (in 15 reviews)
- "No leadership and goals." (in 10 reviews)
- "communication between different orgs is difficult and frustrating" (in 7 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Samsung Research America and is not affected by filters.
Reviews about "hq in korea"Return to all Reviews
- 2.0Sep 8, 2020Machine Learning Research EngineerFormer Employee
The people you work with on a day-to-day basis are generally very kind and respectful people
Very rigid management hierarchy, confusing communications with many different points of contact at HQ (in Korea).3Samsung Research America Response4y
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that we are always working to improve communication with our HQ. Have a great day and Best of luck!
- 1.0Aug 23, 2020ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsMountain View, CA
Researchers are generally kind and smart. HR tries to listen to employees complaints but are limited by politics and influence from HQ.
Don’t believe the 4 star rating. The leadership team works with HR to boost the numbers because they don’t have that many reviews and find people within the company to write a positive review. The leadership team just wants good reviews to try to impress headquarters. Company has a traditional, top down culture and HQ in Korea does not communicate any plans with teams in SRA. They will also play the blame game when things do not go right. The leadership team have no problem yelling at direct reports, even though many things are outside of employees' control. SRA leaders surround themselves with Korean yes-men and does not interact with non-Korean employees outside of the necessary discussions. Top leaders are from Korea and are on rotational programs. They will do and say anything to help themselves get the next job. They do not have much vested interest in you or the organization because they will be gone in 2 years. It’s all politics to get ahead for their promotion. There is little trust in employees’ time and effort. Leaders will micromanage you and try to get you fired if you talk back or give feedback. They don’t reward you for your hard work: no WFH policy, no equity, blamed for anything that goes wrong. You are expected to work late no matter the request. Korean employees are sent to the US offices to monitor the work and attendance of non-Koreans. Toxic work environment, poor leadership, short-term focus, constant surveillance, and hierarchical culture from a traditional Asian company.13Samsung Research America Response4y
Hello there! Thank you for your feedback.. Please know that SRA does not manipulate Glassdoor reviews. Glassdoor encourages feedback from both current and former employees. We also pride ourselves in our various recognition programs, which are designed to reward employees for their hard work. We are sorry about your negative experience but feel it does not represent SRA , our culture and our employees. Have a great day. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
- 3.0Oct 4, 2017Anonymous InternFormer Intern
Many great people work there, good snack and very affordable food. The pay is relatively good, but less than software companies.
Since the HQ is in Korea, you need to follow their expectation, and the work culture is very different in Korea from here. You cannot do much of research, it is more doing incremental change to available algorithms.
- 3.0Dec 9, 2020Software DeveloperCurrent EmployeeMountain View, CA
- Friendly atmosphere (be nice and others will be nice) - Dedicated co-workers (some are brilliant) - Exciting & cutting edge work - Cheap campus food & free coffee (when campus was open) - Flexible work hours (10am -6pm) - Diverse and inclusive (big plus for me)
- Compensation compared to industry leaders is on the lower side - Very siloed mentality. There is no shared code base or data warehouse. Makes it difficult to collaborate with members rom other teams - Many public tools and applications are blocked - Communication between HQ (in Korea) and local management can be contradictory - SRA IT has progressively worsen with time. Just a year or two ago we have a really good team (knowledgeable and willing to help). Unfortunately now, the staff that is there severely lacks knowledge in basic support models, lacks guidance and supervision and just is not friendly. In full transparency, I have avoided reaching out to them in a past 2 months as I know they will not be of any help. (Noticed people are comment already, I simply wanted to add). - Not a fan of the dog friendly campus (I am allergic)3Samsung Research America Response3y
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Your feedback is very important to us. Please know that we have communicated your feedback to the appropriate teams. We encourage you to give your IT related feedback and report any issues via IT’s ticketing system. Please contact us at HRFeedback@samsung.com or via SRA’s Anonymous Box should you have any additional SRA feedback. Have a great day!