San Antonio ZOO Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ride operator"

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO part-time

Pros

Great place to work for first job, The coworkers are the main reason why stayed

Cons

If you’re not doing the right thing you’re most likely going to get written up for it.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with managers

2. "Senior Aquarium keeper"

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time

Pros

Ability to work with animals, husbandry and life support.

Cons

Very low salary for keeper positions.

3. "get the experience and get out!"

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

see cool animals every day

Cons

Pay, inconsistent management directives

Advice to Management

Pay people what their market value is in the area to decrease turn over. If someone can make $15 an hour at HEB or Taco Cabana why would they work more house for less pay?

"Start here dont finish here"

Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to move between departments if positions open and you don't ruin it for yourself. Laid back days most of the time. Able to schedule out your day for the most part.

Cons

Low pay. Apathetic management. Good place to get a start but you don't want to make it a career here.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better. It may be considered a "teaching" zoo but that doesn't mean people should make less. Be more thoughtful towards employees. You can do whatever you want, but that's how you lose good people when pay is also below average.

"Stay away from merchandise"

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time

Pros

Great clerks, good team and the events are something enjoyable for the employees, the animals every day, good benefits

Cons

Bad pay, awful management, excruciating hours and physical labor, illegal tactics, all year round and is very life consuming

Advice to Management

All upper management should be let go. They are all money hungry sea world employees who couldn't give a single care about the amazing staff they have. These clerks are working for no money, they have leads killing themselves mentally to be the best they can and yet there is a lack of reward and a dictatorship in which upper management pushes leads to force employees to stay later and work for different departments. You're gonna work over 13 hours with little to no break, and all your managers do are sit on their butts and do nothing they are completely power hungry and will continue to pull people from the outside who have no idea what they're doing.

"Upper management is truly clueless"

Current Employee - Merchandise
    Current Employee - Merchandise

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. ANIMALS! The work itself is not hard and the guests are great.

Cons

Please raise wages. This is one of, if not the lowest paying zoo in the country. Entry level manager pay begins at $9.00 per hour and everyone below that gets a lot less. Seriously? Turnover is ridiculous because of pay and management.
    Lower level managers all seem overworked. Way too many hours.(Do they even get paid for all that time?)

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop their "because I said so" attitude. You cannot just walk into a location and tell the team working to change this area because you don't like it. At the very least give some advise as to what you are wanting.

There is a very obvious ex Sea World good ole boys club. All upper management used to work at Sea World.

"Great job, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with some of the most interesting animals in the world. There is a large collection and a great diversity of animals. The staff really cares strongly about the health and wellbeing of all the animals.

Cons

The pay is extremely low for what is being asked of you. It's one of the lowest paying zoo jobs in Texas, especially for a zoo in a city the size of San Antonio. The management often views employees as expendable. If you offer different opinions and upset the management in any way, it is much easier for them to run you out or fire you. The turnover there is extremely high. Many keepers leave for other zoos or Sea World.

Advice to Management

Pay your keepers

8. "customer service"

Former Employee - Culinary Clerk in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Culinary Clerk in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i like the animals , the envireoment of the zoo was good to work and the employes are really nice

Cons

sometimes i feel boring , i was doing the same taske everyday . the wages not really good

9. "WONDERFUL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great people, Wonderful team where everyone does their job which in turn makes it easier to do yours, animal contact, wake up excited to go to work.

Cons

No cons so far, I love my job.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. My interactions have been entirely positive. My supervisors encourage me to take on projects, come up with ideas and run with them, and work with you to further your personal growth. I can honestly say I have never been in a more positive work environment in my life.

"It's really truly a great job, but I'm ready to try something new."

Pros

I maybe just be a cashier but it's honestly so much more. Includes stocking the store, ordering more stuff for the next day or few days. Get to see the animals everyday, get to feed the Giraffe's.

Cons

The one thing that really bothers me is that it's strictly business and I feel even if I tried for some what of a high position then where I am, someone that use to work at Six Flags or Sea World gets the position.

Advice to Management

Hear out some of the employees, I know we are suppose to just for-fill our job tittle but some of us have really get points and ideas .