San Antonio ZOO Reviews | Glassdoor

Gilbert F. Vasquez

1. "WONDERFUL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great people, Wonderful team where everyone does their job which in turn makes it easier to do yours, animal contact, wake up excited to go to work.

Cons

No cons so far, I love my job.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. My interactions have been entirely positive. My supervisors encourage me to take on projects, come up with ideas and run with them, and work with you to further your personal growth. I can honestly say I have never been in a more positive work environment in my life.

2. "Great job, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with some of the most interesting animals in the world. There is a large collection and a great diversity of animals. The staff really cares strongly about the health and wellbeing of all the animals.

Cons

The pay is extremely low for what is being asked of you. It's one of the lowest paying zoo jobs in Texas, especially for a zoo in a city the size of San Antonio. The management often views employees as expendable. If you offer different opinions and upset the management in any way, it is much easier for them to run you out or fire you. The turnover there is extremely high. Many keepers leave for other zoos or Sea World.

Advice to Management

Pay your keepers

3. "customer service"

Former Employee - Culinary Clerk in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Culinary Clerk in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i like the animals , the envireoment of the zoo was good to work and the employes are really nice

Cons

sometimes i feel boring , i was doing the same taske everyday . the wages not really good

"Zoo Camp counselor"

Former Employee - Zoo Camp Counselor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Zoo Camp Counselor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment! Everyone is happy to be working there from zoo keepers to concession sales to management, it's a great community to be a part of. I especially loved the education department where I got to work with the kids and teach them the importance of animal and environmental conservation. The SA zoo works so hard to keep the animals happy, healthy, and the guests love it! Plus, a lot of redevelopment and renovation has been going on recently furthering the guest experience.

Cons

In particular, the education department facilities are VERY outdated.

6. "Good-hearted people"

Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Food Service Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at San Antonio ZOO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the supervisors genuinely care about their employers and the animals
    it was an easy job there's noting complicated about working a register and counting your money at the end of the day
    really relaxed and it's pretty easy to get along with everyone, they have some very loyal employees

Cons

they hire some high schoolers who act their age at work. don't get involved in their drama and work will be fine

"Inapropriate Work Load and Not Enough Staff"

Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Zookeeper in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The animals of course! Its great to learn about creatures you have never heard of before. My favorite appearance was learning training techniques through positive reinforcement. These techniques are useful in your everyday life when dealing with people or children. I loved the babies born and monitoring their growth.

Cons

Upper Management. They did not listen to the keepers advice. Those of us who worked closely with the animals day in & day out. It was common to put our lives and the animals live at risk, There have been avoidable deaths and sexual harassment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take care of the people who work for them. It is one of the lowest paying zoos in the nation.

"It's really truly a great job, but I'm ready to try something new."

Pros

I maybe just be a cashier but it's honestly so much more. Includes stocking the store, ordering more stuff for the next day or few days. Get to see the animals everyday, get to feed the Giraffe's.

Cons

The one thing that really bothers me is that it's strictly business and I feel even if I tried for some what of a high position then where I am, someone that use to work at Six Flags or Sea World gets the position.

Advice to Management

Hear out some of the employees, I know we are suppose to just for-fill our job tittle but some of us have really get points and ideas .

"Upper management is truly clueless"

Current Employee - Merchandise
    Current Employee - Merchandise

I have been working at San Antonio ZOO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. ANIMALS! The work itself is not hard and the guests are great.

Cons

Please raise wages. This is one of, if not the lowest paying zoo in the country. Entry level manager pay begins at $9.00 per hour and everyone below that gets a lot less. Seriously? Turnover is ridiculous because of pay and management.
    Lower level managers all seem overworked. Way too many hours.(Do they even get paid for all that time?)

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop their "because I said so" attitude. You cannot just walk into a location and tell the team working to change this area because you don't like it. At the very least give some advise as to what you are wanting.

There is a very obvious ex Sea World good ole boys club. All upper management used to work at Sea World.

"Concession Clerk"

Pros

Cool place to work, coworkers, opportunity to learn a lot. If you can, work somewhere other than food service at the zoo.

Cons

Rude management, not enough training for some, not enough faith in workers, low pay, always moving from one stand to another for work each day. Some stability would have been nice.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your workers. The customers aren't always right, contrary to popular belief.

11. "Alright"

I worked at San Antonio ZOO part-time

Pros

Getting to see the animals in a way that the visitors can't also meeting new people everyday was a great experience overall the employees were nice and helpful if needed management though was not very helpful or understanding when it came to certain situations.

Cons

The pay was very bad no benefits really no set hours just because it really depended on when the guest will leave so if you worked in the gift shop that's usually the last place people visit.

Advice to Management

Just really try to understand your employees concerns and issues if they have any make them feel like you at least care and that they have a huge impact on the company in some way.