San Diego County Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Teresa Halleck

Pros
  • Have worked for smaller and less stable companies, so it was nice to work for a solid place that did not have to cut back (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits: 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Most credit unions underpay compared to big banks (in 3 reviews)

• Sales goals can sometimes be a little more than doable every month (in 3 reviews)

"Great company"

Pros

Plenty of growth and opportunity and they have worked hard to be competitive amongst other financial institutions in regards to wages.

Cons

Many staffing challenges and not enough floating staff to accommodate all the openings. The call center needs to double in employees as well now that the number of branches has increased.

"Great benefits; not so great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Free luncheons almost every month
    Lots of different locations
    Admin building is very nice; most branches are kept clean and up to date
    Easy to promote; if you work hard and pay attention to detail you could get promoted every 6 months.

Cons

Sales have become just like the big banks, possibly even worse! Executive mgmt only cares about growing the business revenue and less about how the branches operate or what management is doing. Many branch managers don't care about their employees and only want sales. They don't take the time to train them or better them, instead they make them do all their work while they sit in their offices not doing much.
    Growing in branches but lacking in infrastructure; the company has expanded quickly but has not hired enough staff (internal and external) to cover the growing amount of branches.
    Inconsistency and lack of training for both branch staff and internal department.
    Lack of communication! There is a big disconnect between back office departments and branches.
    Job descriptions are thrown out the window and most of the time you will be doing much more than what you originally thought you were applying for; sometimes even take work from other departments because they are understaffed.
    Human Resources is bias towards management and will not listen to branch staff about serious issues. Also, if you report something to HR it is NOT anonymous.

Advice to Management

Train the staff! Communicate fully! If everyone is on the same page it makes for a much more efficient business model. Also, ease up on the sales pressure and the branch staff will not make so many operational mistakes that could cost the credit union big in the future. Lastly, stop hiring managers that don't care, don't want to be there, or don't put in the effort it takes to be a good manager.

"Business Development and Community Relations Manager"

Current Employee - Business Development and Community Relations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is outstanding everywhere but the marketing/community relations department...Hr teams works hard to provide wellness opportunities.

Cons

Seems like other departments run with much more enthusiasm and positivity...culture under marketing and community relations department is negative and an energy suck

Advice to Management

The company is financially profitable so they won't change but I find it alarming that leaders aren't held accountable to the high turnover that they are responsible for...starting to look for another job myself at this point.

"Unable to transfer"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Financial Services Representative in Rancho Penasquitos, CA

I worked at San Diego County Credit Union full-time

Pros

They are very training focused and have many classes to learn almost anything about retail banking. Compensation was above average. Technology and programs used were top notch including finger print scanners.

Cons

I was unable to change job titles to go part time after I found out I was pregnant- they have a strict policy on transferring positions until after 6 months. Having to stay late on Tuesday evenings to call customers to open checking accounts. Cut throat, sales oriented co workers coin sneaky things to try and steal commissions, like $5 commissions!!

Advice to Management

Be flexible with transferring positions within the branch.

"You could not pay me enough to work here again...."

I worked at San Diego County Credit Union full-time

Pros

To fill up the 20 work minimum: the closest to "pro" would be the benefits

Cons

Just a small list of the terribleness that goes on here (and I am convinced that the positive reviews are written by HR or liars.)
    -Nepotism
    -Retaliation (directly)
    -Direction to not take lunches regularly, as in daily (never mind breaks)
    -Distribution of personal secure information to fellow employees (by HR, multiple times, and about 50% of the time correct)
    -Encouraged NOT to use benefits
    -High performer, yet MAJOR sales micromanaging (yes, worse than WF)
    -VERY negative morale I.E. Internally and in branches, people cussing, hanging up on you, being rude....
    -"Trying to complete with banks" but won't openly admit, only in meetings.
    -The thought that more money = Happiness (which you can usually deal with for a short period of time before the credit union breaks your soul and eats you alive, lol).

I could write paragraphs of the illegal and immoral activities here.....

Advice to Management

Gosh, get rid of all of them. What ever happened to customer/member service, doing the right thing and ethical behavior (you CAN have those things and grow sales-wise simultaneously) but surely isn't a priority here. And this coming from someone who was a sales leader

"Outstanding Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Coming to work at SDCCU was one of the best career decisions I have made. The people are collaborative and team-oriented, management is competent and accessible, and the organization itself is stable and run very well. SDCCU is in growth mode so the pace is fast and exciting, a very dynamic place to work.

Cons

It is very fast paced and not for people who just want to show up and coast. It is a high-performance environment with emphasis on providing WOW member service and requires a lot of positive energy.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on training and developing career paths. There are a lot of ambitious people who want to grow.

"Just like Wells Fargo.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive that I can say about this cutthroat organization. Understaffed, under appreciated, high turnover, do the math.

Cons

Underpaid employees, forced to reach unrealistic expectations. Although the Wells Fargo employees were completely immoral to do what they did, I get why they did.SDCCU is no different, but they put on a good face. They compare all branch performance, thus shaming those branches that don't meet goals, despite considering a geographical component. Do let the "Not for profit" statement fool you. They are just as corrupt as the big banks. CEO down, they are still just as corrupt as the big banks that they claim not to be.

Advice to Management

Not that it matters, but go back to the roots of a true Credit Union. Stop forcing your employees to shove unnecessary products down members throats. Service is key, not trying to maximize sales during each member encounter. The culture starts with the CEO, and she has perpetuated a philosophy of sell everything you can whether they need it or not. Disgraceful! New leadership at all levels, including HR is way overdue. FYI, no I was not fired and have no axe to grind. I left on my own accord because I could no longer sell my soul to such a terrible organization.

"Voted Best Credit Union"

Pros

The Credit Union is a great place to work. The culture is one of service, as team members strive to provide the best service to our members. Aside from offering great products, team members volunteer for the many credit union sponsored community events. If you are driven to serve, this is the place to work!

Cons

There are really no drawbacks to working here. Team members are friendly and helpful. Members primarily bank here because of the products and services offered.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster an environment that supports work life balance.

"San Diego County Credit Union is the place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Great customers, Great products offered. Wonderful branch management.

Cons

Sales goals can sometimes be a little more than doable every month.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Financial service representative"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Largest credit union in San Diego - quarterly free lunches & bonuses 2x yearly. Trying to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Rigid corporate system, poorly written operations manual. Each manager micro manages, and regional also micro manage. Favoritism does also exist.

Advice to Management

Flexibility and fairness.