San Diego Gas & Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 27, 2019

3.8
Jessie J. Knight Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most jobs have excellent work/life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great benefits and friendly employees" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of politics in upper management" (in 7 reviews)

• "segregation between call center and front office" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Power System Focus"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

Learn technical analysis such as short circuit, power flow and transient voltage analysis for new projects.

Cons

The interns are slightly underpaid compare to other electrical engineers in the San Diego area.

"Excellent company for a career in the electrical engineering field"

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The Associate Engineer rotation program ensures you rotate through 3 different departments for 6-month rotations
    - Great company culture, everyone is willing to help you
    - Plenty of options for career advancement
    - Management encourages employees to learn how to work in different departments and learn new skills
    - Wonderful benefits package
    - Living in America's Finest City

Cons

- San Diego has become a very expensive city (not really the company's fault)
    - Pay is slightly less than other California utilities like SCE, LADWP, SMUD and PG&E

Advice to Management

- Increase pay to keep up with the high cost of living in San Diego and with inflation

3. "Planner Scheduler"

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time

Pros

Great benefits, location , work environment always busy

Cons

Cost of living, traffic congestion, not much room for advancement

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Rotational Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Rotational Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture, people, opportunities, experience, etc.

Cons

Some may struggle with work life balance but I have not found that to be true

5. "Good Company to work for"

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive compensation, good colleagues, specific department has a good work-life balance.

Cons

Advancement opportunities can be hard to come by.

6. "Customer Project Planner"

Former Employee - Customer Project Planner in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Project Planner in San Clemente, CA

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and great people to work with

Cons

limited advancement into upper management

Advice to Management

More inclusion in mid level decisions.

7. "Lucky to Be Here, All About Hard Work and Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits plan - 401k, health, dental, pension, yearly bonus if company overperforms, tuition reimbursement, passport card

Work Environment - the company hires hard-working, good-hearted people who are high in emotional intelligence. You can walk around campus, say hi to anyone, ask anyone a business-related question and they will always make time for you, regardless of their position. Information is openly shared if asked.
    Reputation is everything. Do great things and it will get noticed through an off-cycle raise or a substantial cash award (separate from the yearly bonus). Word gets around about projects you've been on, obstacles that you've overcome, and even more about the way you treat others. It's normal to see industry-related presentations on campus.

Opportunity for Growth - doing your work is the bare minimum and makes you eligible to receive a bonus that year. Taking on unassigned challenges, partaking in extracurriculars, being curious, positive, and influential will get you a higher bonus and get you noticed.

Management - very approachable, open and honest. We sometimes have uncomfortable concerns to discuss, but even bad news is delivered in a gracious way. They make a clear effort to get to know their employees on a personal level. Hats off to Randall Clark, our Chief of HR, for creating a performance-based work environment that values good character. Scott Crider (VP) is an incredibly intelligent and relatable guy, who also knows when to throw down the hammer to get results and you always want to help him because he's awesome.

Cafeteria - the food's good, breakfast is cheap, they serve Starbucks at Tailgate

Cons

Parking

Jaded employees who have worked here so long they don't appreciate what they have and can't get promoted because no one wants to hire negativity

Practically impossible to get into the company unless you're ok with starting in the call center. I started there and it was hard, but you get a "systems-wide" view of the company and get to listen to issues directly from our ratepayers.

Very difficult for contractors to be hired on as an employee unless they do something exceptional

Everybody hates us because our rates are too high. Sometimes, I tell people I "work an office job" if they ask me what I do because I'm embarrassed. But I'm proud of the place that I work because of our company culture and the people

Advice to Management

Culture-wise, keep doing what you're doing. There are a lot of extraordinary people here who have it all, brains, charisma, and compassion.

Senior Management, I know tensions are high right now at Sempra because of our numbers, but there are so many events within the last year relating to California Wildfires that any revenue expectations or comparisons would have been a shot in the dark. It's completely valid that people are upset because to them, we are just a bunch of negative numbers and bad decisions.

Regarding our acquisition of Oncor, I'm proud of our company's achievements and growth, but I hope next time it would be with nicer people who understand our values and culture.

8. "My tenure"

Former Employee - Machinist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Machinist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, over time on Saturdays .

Cons

Warning to any Master Machinist, Machinist or Tool Maker seeking employment at San Diego Gas and Electric, it will not take long for you to regret ever setting foot in the Shop Services division.
    They claim they are all for DIVERSITY and INCLUSION but it's actually the opposite.
    It is more of a MAFIA or GANG like atmosphere or society than Diversity and Inclusion. You will feel you are being hazed into some sort of secret society.
    They will humiliate you and make you feel like you are less than human.
    I am the most recent victim of the managers vendetta against machinist.
    I am certain this person has some mental disorder, perhaps he is Bipolar, one minute he praises you for the good work you do and the next, makes you feel like you are subhuman.
    This person has no managerial skills and was appointed to the position without any tested for qualifications, the person that appointed him has since been fired from his position as one of top DOGS at SDGE for accepting bribes from a contractor.
    This person was never a Machinist but will contradict any sensible method of getting things done you may have.

Advice to Management

Dispose of unqualified managers, who have special agendas, that make S D G E a toxic environment to work in and give the company a bad reputation.

9. "Associated Billing Analyst"

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Nothing to complain about.

10. "The struggle is real"

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, Paid Time Off, Benefits, Ability to move around

Cons

No work-life balance. They work you until you break. High performers are not rewarded and low performers are not addressed. Lots of promises and no delivery from management, Low employee morale, High turnover, Cut throat

Advice to Management

You're losing amazing employees. Deliver on your promises and reward those that keep the train on the tracks. Let people have a LIFE outside of working and don't make them feel guilty about wanting a life outside of work. Give the employees a clear vision of the future and start communicating with your employees. Less secrets! The office politics are ridiculous. Make it about what you do and what you contribute instead of who you know and who you kiss up to.