San Diego Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Cindy Marten

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor Management, Too Political, Budget Cuts, Nepotism, No Room for Advancement," (in 8 reviews)

• "Low pay for such an expensive city" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Flexibility"

Former Employee - Health Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Health Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You choose what days to work and location.

Cons

Must be flexible and multitask a lot. Workload changes on a daily basis and it involves health practices.

2. "Great Benefits and Union Job"

Current Employee - ESA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - ESA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union position, room for growth

Cons

classified staff take the hardest hits

3. "lots of drama and office politics"

Former Employee - Clerk Typist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk Typist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

many of the teachers and staff were really lovely and excellent coworkers.

Cons

there was a huge amount of drama related to the leadership team and how they treated employees. insane office politics. incredibly low pay for front office staff. one really horrific colleague who would yell at students to the point of tears, but somehow was never disciplined for it.

Advice to Management

treat people like human beings. if you hate your job, instead of taking it out on everyone else find a way to move forward in your life. it's a hard thing to do, but your life will be so so much better.

4. "Visiting Teacher"

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District part-time

Pros

Good system for selecting subs.

Cons

Nature of the business is you work all over the county.

5. "Change desperately needed"

Current Employee - Finance in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great benefits , pension, if you have a relative working easier to get hired

Cons

Nepotism, cronyism, hiring unqualified- lack credentials

Advice to Management

Leave

6. "Regret"

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Basic HMO medical benefits covered for your family... for now. High deductible PPO.

Cons

Very stressful job due to high caseloads (significantly over ASHA standards) and dysfunctional SPED system. Lower pay than most other local districts. Many SLPs forced to choose between placing students on waitlists for therapy or else working above caseload max and contracted hours. No extra pay available when you work additional hours to ensure students' IEPs are completed in a timely manner. SLPs provide the highest Medi-Cal revenue billling, yet don't get any substitute support when we are ill or to go to trainings. Constant shortage of tests and materials. District won't acknowledge being understaffed which is a huge problem. If you like being overworked for low pay and enjoy advocates, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Not providing adequate speech therapy to students is detrimental to them. I am surprised how many good SLPs have stayed in the district (Stockholm Syndrome or pity for the wonderful kids?). I suggest exit interviews with people who retired early or quit to see what is really going on. Instead of hiring more attorneys to clean up messes, lower caseloads, staff accordingly for high workloads and consistently train the SPED staff you have.

7. "Like family"

Current Employee - Instructional Aide in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Aide in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff actually cares deeply for the students here. Very progressive and inclusive.

Cons

Absolutely none. This is a fabulous environment and I'm so happy to be a peapart of it.

8. "Good Benefits, lousy coworkers (and management doesn't care)"

Current Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional
    Current Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance benefits and hours

Cons

If you have co-workers who just go to work to get paid doing the minimum effort, you will be stuck doing their job too.

Advice to Management

Train employees and provide support and encouragement (show you care) to lift up our spirits. It is a very demanding job physically and emotionally.

9. "Assistant volleyball coach"

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Coach in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good school district, I am currently working as a coach for one of the affluent campuses and the support there so far has been great

Cons

Very large and competitive. This is my first year coaching in California and I cannot believe that funding isnt provided for buses to travel

Advice to Management

More full time opportunities would be great

10. "Very poor management at all levels"

Pros

Decent benny's and vacation

Cons

Nobody really cares at the middle and upper management levels. Nobody has any real operations skills and that leads to a lot of waste of resources and people.

Advice to Management

Go to school and learn operations management and project management! Nepotism and promotions by who you know not what you know always leads to poor performance of any organization.