San Diego Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Kowba

Pros
  • Working with students and dedicated teachers (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits and great colleagues (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Again, with special education, you tend to have the toughest assignments and you are more susceptible to injury (in 3 reviews)

• There are so many employees that sometimes you may feel like a number (in 2 reviews)

1. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, professional development is good.

Cons

Cut backs are brutal and irresponsible.

2. "Lots of benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. Great benefits. Opportunities for promotion.

Cons

No cons to speak of.

3. "Watch out"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of diversity. Many locations.

Cons

Distict admin plays hard ball, tries to save money by firing teachers and hiring more admin. A fair percentage of which is incompetent. Since thinking inside the box is such a chore for most they dont notice that only those aligned with an obviously failing philosophy are recognized or promted. Schools make little effort to place didn't invite bility instead using age and racial characteristics is the man that everything we need the ATT requirements for admission into the UC system in order to get a diploma whilemany students struggle with basic math and algebra and barely read

Advice to Management

Take a course in leadership learn how to do inventory keep track of meetings on a calendar and know the people you're working with

5. "The best benefits"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great colleagues

Cons

Job Ceiling, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

none

6. "Special Education Technician"

Current Employee - SET in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - SET in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good colleagues and benefits and,students great to work with

Cons

Need more hours and more benefits

7. "Special Ed Assistant"

Former Employee - Special Education Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to help some really wonderful children and make a difference in their lives. I was also able to go to some fun places like the zoo.

Cons

The pay is very low.
    Most of the teachers/staff at the schools treat the aides like trash.
    Some of the kids have serious behavioral issues and can be violent.

Advice to Management

The teachers/staff at the schools really need to treat the aides better. If it wasn't for them, they wouldn't even be able to do their jobs.

8. "Product demonstrator"

Former Employee - Administrative Aide in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a truly amazing learning space. I've worked in administration at the education center 12 of the 25 years worked with SDUSD. You are exposed to all types of people; ethnic, ages, genders, and financial levels. Working at school sites you learn almost every situation that can be faced. To work with schools for such a long time it is indeed a lesson in patience and love. Greatest benefits ever!!!!!!! I loved the people I worked with and the overall atmosphere. I always felt safe and at home.

Cons

The pay- I was not certificated or a teacher so our income was very different. I know I would have been able to make twice the pay in corporate but chose against it.

Advice to Management

I have strong computer skills with a Mac or PC. Strong customer service/people skills. I have been retired since 2014 working as an administrative aide. I think by background would serve well as a product demonstrator.

9. "Operations not valued, need real leaders not lone wolfs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

1-Nice people, 2-good benefits, 3-no feedback is good feedback?, 4-it's all about the kids

Cons

1-Full of people pleasers, lone wolves, and blind followers...huge/awkward imbalance between uber educated and non-educated workforce, (most are pleasant on the surface at least)
    2-opportunities for raises/advancement/training few and far between for most
    3-poor collaboration and nonexistent feedback loops
    4-simply saying "it's all about the kids" is far different than implementing a plan that actually supports that concept...it seems that many in central administration can't even stand being around kids.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that Operations does not represent half of the staff. Heed best practices from other large organizations. And most importantly, hire leaders who bring a growth mindset, who are good listeners that value engagement, collaboration, feedback, allow them time to focus on that, then hold them accountable. Those same values that go into improving educational outcomes for students - start applying them to your leaders and by extension, to your workforce.

10. "Teaching experience will depend on school/admin"

Former Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was given a great deal of independence to plan lessons, deliver instruction, and impact students. I felt respected because of this freedom, and never hesitated to try something new in the classroom.

Cons

I felt little support by the district, and pay was not competitive compared to other districts. The district is so large that your experience is based the school's administration rather than district policies. This can be good or bad, depending on the strength of your administration.

Advice to Management

I would advise the district to design a system to evaluate teacher effectiveness and provide incentives for teachers who outperform their peers.

11. "Work"

Former Employee - Administrative Aide in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit. Great pay. Awesome work schedule. Advancement opportunities are always available. Good place to get a real taste of the working world for younger generation.

Cons

Too many politics. Administration non supportive of classified staff. Promotions available mainly based on who you know verses work performance and ethics.

Advice to Management

Management needs to remember that in order for them to get to the top where they are they started from the bottom. That without your classified staff being your base and support you have not way to be on top.