San Francisco Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
San Francisco Federal Credit Union President and CEO Steven Stapp
Steven Stapp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to grow with a Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First time in my career I was asked to choose a personal development goal. The Credit Union really advocates growth within individuals. The Credit Union stands behind the core values of a Credit Union. Some Credit Unions have become so big and forget the main purpose of a Credit Union. This Credit Union is one of the few that really stands behind assisting the member and not about just making $$$. In my experience, this is a great place to work and to be a member of!

Cons

The Credit Union is growing extremely fast. More branches need to be opened and expand into other parts of the bay area like further into San Mateo County

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

2. "great organization"

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, great senior management team. community involvement

Cons

Limited career advancement in certain departments.

3. "Mortgage staff"

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly and helpful. They are willing to help you out. This company gives a lot of benefit and paid holidays to employees. Excellent medical benefits and year end bonus.

Cons

Technology is very outdated and is holding the performance back greatly.

Advice to Management

Update Technology and IT/software will be definitely welcomed

"Hanging in there"

Pros

Excellent benefits, great social mission, wonderful learning opportunities.

Cons

Communication is sorely lacking; we have a lack of cooperation between departments

Advice to Management

Senior leaders need to get out and talk to people. Ask for questions; be available. We have lowered our communication standard and it is sad.

5. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I worked at SFFEDCU for over 4 years, it was my favorite work place in an over 30 year career in the Financial Industry. The pay scale is more than fair and Management treats you with respect and does not micro manage. The fringe benefits were amazing fromTailgate Parties to Employee Appreciation dinners to BiAnnual incentives( to name a few).

Cons

The good far outweighs the bad. No comment.

Advice to Management

No advice... Great job!

6. "Great work life balance!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I just started working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union 3 months ago, but I already love it so much! Here you'll meet some of the smartest and most devoted people out there and work on some of the challenging and rewarding projects. Great opportunity to work with high caliber colleagues, friendly atmosphere, great work life balance and wide range of career progression opportunities. Frequent team outings and a relaxed work environment is defiantly a plus for the employees. The interview process was smooth and quick for me, I got an offer within a week. Most importantly, San Francisco Federal Credit Union is striving every single day to get a better understanding of community needs and help foster empathy and self-efficacy. We strive to make a difference in the community, every person counts!

Couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Cons

Couldn't find any cons for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

"An Inside Perspective"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

I started as a temporary employee a few months ago. Not really wanting to get back in to mortgage lending or banking for that matter but something said , go in for the interview. When I arrive I was greeted by the Branch Manager Karen Johnson who was just so warm and inviting. I felt right at home. I was then introduced to Rebecca Lytle who interviewed me. it was like speaking with an old friend. During the interview process, we discussed some of the Challenges and I was asked at that time if I had any input as to how to improve the processes. Although these challenges may have appeared to be bigger than they were, The Challenge was a great one, only to look at how many Loan officers and how many loans and weed through them and start to close them. There were so many applications that it really required a very seasoned loan officer to keep up with them. we now have several seasoned and efficient loan officers who don't complain about how many pre approved loans that they have in their pipeline. We are very supportive of each other and with the leadership of Saul Montes and Steve Sawdey, who are always ready to jump in and assist us whenever we need it .

The Processing team has proven to be deal savers multiple times. With Cathy Tang , Chad Standish, and Nicole Yeung, we are able to avoid any hiccups that may slow down the approval process

I have been in Mortgage Lending since 2002 and have experienced success at both International Banks and Broker shops. I have won many awards over the years and have closed many loans. San Francisco Federal Credit Union is by far the best place I have ever had the pleasure of working.

The HR Coordinator made my transition from Temp to Full time employee seamless and is always willing to listen to any questions or concerns that I may have.

In closing, as a very experienced Mortgage Loan Officer, I have one piece of advice for anyone considering a position here at San Francisco Federal Credit Union. If you want to feel like you are a decision making member of a huge family that really cares about each other , where you can grow and your ideas will be heard and implemented. Where you can serve your community and be as successful as you desire to be, Then this is the place for you. San Francisco Federal Credit Union is truly a special place for Special people.

Cons

I really cant think of any cons. I love this place.

Advice to Management

please put a coffee machine in the Real Estate office

8. "One of the best companies I have ever worked for!"

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very helpful, courteous, and friendly. They are my second family. The Management Team emanates humility and compassion, combined with strong leadership skills. They take care of their employees by providing good benefits, better promotions, and recognitions.

Cons

I hope they would provide more training on new hires, especially on the all the programs that we use. Not all departments use the same tool so whoever gets hired for a particular department, he/she should be trained on specific computer programs. We are a growing team and we should be at par with the industry to be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all your hard work !! It is not easy to manage almost 200 diverse employees with different views and opinions. But your listening ears and constant awareness on our well-beings are greatly appreciated !!

9. "A Different World"

Current Employee - Senior Consumer Lending Underwriter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consumer Lending Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You know how employers say "Our employees are our greatest assets"? Well, San Francisco Federal Credit Union actually believes that and demonstrates it on a daily basis. I am now a more marketable and valuable employee because of the self-improvement opportunities that this Credit Union provides for their employees. Management strongly encourages us to take advantage of various resources and tools available - Rosetta Stone, Online Classes, Tech Savvy Classes, Webinars, Leadership Development, etc. The list goes on and on!! San Francisco Federal Credit Union definitely is a great place to work for those who thrive in a continuously learning environment.

Cons

I believe each person has to make their own decision on how they feel about an employer. No place is perfect but this Credit Union definitely strives to meet their employees, members and community needs. If I had to state a "Con" it would be my commute - which is ~ 3.5 hours round trip from the East Bay.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the communication channels open with your employees because gossip and assumptions are very harmful to the work environment.

"Funder"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

They have an extremely competitive base salary plus great commission and benefits. Management is also great and partner work is outstanding. Everyone is helpful and willing to teach you as the career develops.

Cons

The only major con is the system; there were some pros with the tech, but overall it's outdated compared to what is currently on the market. This can make regular work take slightly longer than need be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GOOD work!