San Francisco Friends School Reviews | Glassdoor

San Francisco Friends School Reviews

Updated May 13, 2019

3.8
San Francisco Friends School CEO Cathy Hunter  (no image)
Cathy Hunter
  1. "Great school, great people overall"

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time

Pros

- Location - Community - Collaboration - Parents - Students - Culture

Cons

- Work load - More work does not equal more pay

San Francisco Friends School2017-09-25
  2. "be careful working here"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time for more than a year

Pros

some people are kind and go out of their way to help and make sure you feel like your opinion and work counts

Cons

I was really sad and disappointed as a TA here. Not only was the pay very little- I was sad about how I was treated. I came in thinking that if I was a team player others would be too- I didn't find that to always be the case. They will treat you like an underling more than an equal so be mindful of that. One example was I felt like I had some people not take me seriously- I had adults not email me back when... they would a lead teacher or just not email me until I repeatedly emailed them and asked what's going on. I had other adults speak to me rudely (then sometimes apologzie sometimes not) What I hated most was the lack of say on what happened to us financially- there's no say and no one looking out for you on that-and also how do you not let TAs talk to prospective TAs to tell them what they should be in for during the hiring process that's the silliest thing. As nice a school as this is I would never work here again as a TA- they don't prioritize you till they realize how much better other schools treat their TAs.

Advice to Management

work on treating your TAs better- they are with you kids more than anyone and aren't dumb- they're such an important resource and

San Francisco Friends School2019-05-14
  3. "Friends School Summer Camp Teacher"

Teacher in Whittier, CA

I worked at San Francisco Friends School for less than a year

Pros

The entire staff is incredibly supportive which makes for a fun and productive work environment. They love their jobs and it shows!

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about working at Friends. The students are great, the staff is awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

San Francisco Friends School2016-02-16
  4. "Good teachers; sketchy admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teaching culture and emphasis on living out mission of Quaker education

Cons

Political admin team -- either you're in or you're out

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach

San Francisco Friends School2015-05-31
  5. "Incredible school on the rise!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere and people; Interest in doing the best work with the people they have; human focused; very supportive parent body; draws the best teachers and people to work there; lots of resources (though they wouldn't admit it); freedom to create and make mistakes and take chances professionally; willingness to try new things; not satisfied with status quo

Cons

Emerging administrative structure doesn't have all the decision-making kinks worked out; unclear how decisions are made;

Advice to Management

Develop clearer expectations for roles and teams

San Francisco Friends School2012-07-20
  6. "Friendly environment"

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time

Pros

Staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is very different from other places I've worked in the past. Parents are very supportive in the school and many of them volunteer their time to help in school activities

Cons

Communication between staff members needs to be improved. No financial assistance provided to children of staff going to this school.

San Francisco Friends School2014-05-30
  7. "Not too bad"

I worked at San Francisco Friends School full-time

Pros

Retreats provided annually before the beginning of school year for all staff. Retirement plan matching is very good. Lots of really nice parents who volunteers regularly in the school.

Cons

Annual increase has declined significantly with the change of finance director. No discounts at all on tuition fees for staff's children enrolled in the school.

Advice to Management

Provide discounts to students whose parents are working within the school.

San Francisco Friends School2014-05-14