San Francisco General Hospital Reviews

• Part-time
3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Social Worker Associate"

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital part-time

Pros

Incredibly dedicated team. Mission driven colleagues.

Cons

In some departments there are high levels of disorganization that can lead to long patient wait times.

Advice to Management

Improve training and support and for non-medical support staff.

"Terrible Management and Work Environment"

Former Employee - Patient Care in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great, but you will soon realize why nurses get paid more at this hospital. I was constantly working with resident doctors and they were pleasant to work with as they were always helpful, as opposed to the nurses I usually work with (that have been here for years). Depending on what unit you work for, you can get lucky working with some of the sweetest and hard working nurses and nursing aides that will provide great team work for patient care. Great team work is needed to work in this high demanding environment.

Cons

At first, I was happy to work for the company as I was getting a great hourly rate. After just working a week, I realized that the environment was demanding due to the type of patients' you will be caring for. These patients do not have any respect for the nurses caring for them; you will constantly get yelled at. I can deal with these type of patients, but your co-workers (other RN's) are the worst, unless you get lucky and work with the "good nurses." Most older nurses you work with are unhappy and the most unpleasant people to work with. Most nurses DO NOT even care about their patients and are rude. I guess it's due to the "years" of working at this terrible environment. If you ask me, I WOULD NOT work here. Your back and mentality will thank me later.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and get rid of the nurses who no longer have the compassion and respect - not just for patients, but for co-workers. I worked first hand with one of the WORST nurses. The worst nurses I worked for was on the med-surge/aids unit. I won't say any names, but she was part of management. I saw first hand how disrespectful she was to the new patient care aides and registered nurses. You need compassionate and hard working nurses in order to have a great patient care team.

3. "Great place"

Current Employee - Scribe
    Current Employee - Scribe

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working as SF general in the ED for a little while now any it has been great so far. It can be a little hectic, but the other staff and faculty have been nothing but fantastic.

Cons

The parking is bad and can be expensive if you park in the lot or the garage. Can be extremely hectic at times but that's expected in a hospital

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and continue treating us well! Can't wait to see where this experience takes me.

5. "Wonderful experience as a staff!"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the staff and the never-ending challenge on the floor! Very hard-working and knowlegeable about their roles and responsibilities. The Psychiatric component of our patients is a plus! Staff that I don't even know smile and greet me everday (keep smiling people!) I work in an ACE Med-Surg where the staff help each other get patients 65+/yo up on their beds and walk, bath, exercise and sit up each meal so they don't get weak just laying on their beds all day, waiting for their 'verdicts' from doctors (and no pneumonias!). Patients are also wonderful and very appreciative of the work. I love our PT/OT/SP and our UCSF docs/interns/medstudents, Social workers, dietary staff, IP and more -- who are very eager to learn and have a heart of gold. Thank you for maintaining that burning passion we need in the face of austerity measures.

Cons

Management is not appreciative of the work. Treats PCAs like we're inferior. Budget is too small for a big "teaching hospital".

Advice to Management

Time to roll up your sleeves and shadow the floor in real time! Don't rely on subjective reporting from middle management. Motivate the staff more, listen to them, step off your high horses and let's get the work done in a fair manner and everyone wins! This hospital is already a "magnet"! Set realistic goals and FOLLOW-THROUGH! Don't just sweep it under the rug.

6. "I was a student nurse."

Pros

Interesting environment with many challenging cases

Cons

Because it is a teaching hospital, the environment is chaotic.

Advice to Management

It would be good if the cafeteria can offer more food variety.

"Leadership is positive and teamwork is present in the ICU. Upper management makes poor choices."

Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork is great in the ICU's and at this time you don't have to float outside of the ICU's.

Cons

We tend to be lagging in standards of practice at times. No communication between higher management and staff.

Advice to Management

Be concerned with your hospital and the community it serves, not the money you can save on the backs of staff and some imaginary project it will go to.

"Top heavy"

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Smart, resourceful, incredibly dedicated front-line staff. -Chaotic, but never boring work. -Shared sense of purpose (or at least there used to be). -New, modern building will be finished in about a year.

Cons

Administration is increasingly isolated and dysfunctional. Organization is becoming extremely top-heavy, with inexperienced individuals who don't listen to the ranks and file. Situation isn't yet unsalvageable... yet.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff when they tell you the equipment, especially the multiple, noninteroperable EHRs slow providers down and make patient care less safe. Recalibrate the ratio of administrators to front-line workers.

"At the General I have seen a lot of new situations and have been put to the test with all my abilities."

Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros to the job is it offers very good experience

Cons

Cons to this job is some of the patients that we need to deal with

Advice to Management

open more permenate jobs

"Wonderful"

Pros

SFGH has a great staff and nurturing environment.

Cons

However, SFGH is also a very old

"The top brass don't think intensive psychiatric care is important but the staff who provide the care do."

Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You get to provide care to people who really need it. Public hospitals are the safety net for people with mental illnesses who would otherwise go without care. The patients are often truly grateful for your services - even though they are involuntary patients.The salary and benefits are excellent. I've worked with some really great people who I've learned a lot from. There are Grand Rounds Weekly and they have excellent presentations.

Cons

Because the salary and benefits are good, some of my colleagues are working here pretty much just for those and not particularly because they want to help the patients. They do the bare minimum and are a pain in the you know what to work with. Top management treat staff like cattle - like you should be happy to have a g-d job. The direct supervisor I had wasn't like this but she was fighting her bosses and the bureaucracy's attitude toward us 24/7.

Advice to Management

Consider spending some time (even if it's one day a year) on each unit. Attend rounds, sit in on groups, look at some charts, etc. Don't just rely on the reports of middle managers. Also, it might give you an interest in the field of psychiatry and the staff who work there - something it seems you don't currently have.

RSS Feed </> Embed