San Jacinto College Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
San Jacinto College Chancellor Brenda Hellyer
Brenda Hellyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, fair pay, good leadership, excellent students (in 5 reviews)

• Very goal focused and offers employees great benefits including professional development and training to continue to improve and promote (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower pay than compareable positions, however the Pros and atmosphere outweigh this (in 2 reviews)

• The cons of working here is you will most likely get paid minimum wage and they usually stop you at 20 hours (in 2 reviews)

1. "Top Notch"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Channelview, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Channelview, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues! Wonderful work environment! High Academic standards with strong rigor. San Jac has become a Top 5 Aspen school and it’s because everyone has pulled together to rise above the rest!

Cons

None. :) I have no cons to offer at this time. San Jac offers quality both to its students and to its employees.

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing excellence.

2. "Good place to work"

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits and a lot of time off

Cons

Salaries not competitive with industry

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Chair assigns a mentor to new and adjunct faculty. The mentor provides concrete strategies for classroom management, curriculum design, and effective assessments. The mentor also shows you how to navigate the bureaucratic red tape that is university employment. Leadership is very supportive and it has been refreshing. Faculty and staff are great!

Cons

Some of the students have unrealistic expectations and/or not prepared for college work. That being said, that population is about 25% of the students. Someone has to retire to get a position. No one can have an adjunct role forever.

Advice to Management

I am very pleased with the environment so far...it has been an amazing experience.

"Adjunct turned Full Time"

Current Employee - Professor
    Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay, good leadership, excellent students

Cons

Weird corporate things like KPIs distract us from just doing our job well, and only getting paid 1/month is awful.

Advice to Management

Ease up on all the extra stuff you're asking faculty to do, it's driving good faculty away. It's great to offer training, but the KPI system doesn't make sense. No one in my department really knows how to fill these out, we are all guessing. It's not a great sign if our raises are tied to a system no one gets, it makes people assume you're only confusing us on purpose to justify giving us less of a raise.

Also, PLEASE consider paying us more than once/month. No one else does this. Every professor complains about it.

5. "Wonderful Place"

Current Employee - Educational Planner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Educational Planner in Houston, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Success is a priority.

Cons

This is an awesome place to work for!

6. "Totally Recommend"

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time

Pros

Work/life balance and focus is on student success

Cons

Hard to get into Higher Education unless you can network your way into the system. Far drive if you don't live in the Clear Lake area.

7. "Great job while in college"

I have been working at San Jacinto College part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Retain math knowledge that I probably would have forgotten within 6 months.

Cons

Lower pay than if you were a private tutor

"No support, no consequences"

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here seemed at first to be a dream come true. The administrators CLAIMED they have an open door policy and CLAIMED to support faculty. At first, faculty even seemed to have a voice in decision making and course design. After being here several years, it is all talk.

Cons

The administration discourages any involvement in professional organizations, conference presentations, or networking outside of the school itself. While they at first claim they support that and will offer merit raises and professional development funds for traveling, it's a lie. They do NOT want faculty involved outside of the school because they say it isn't helping the school for a faculty member to be involved in their field outside of the classroom. Administrators do NOT have an open door policy and require a chain of command that is ridiculous at best. Want to communicate with a dean? Not allowed. You must tell the chair to communicate your message on your behalf. Want to communicate with the provost? Not allowed. You must tell the chair to communicate your message on your behalf to the dean who will then convey the message to the provost. If your chair or dean refuse to pass on the information or question, you have no way to communicate with upper management. Have a problem with one of the members on that chain? You cannot communicate that issue above the chain because you are not allowed to communicate beyond the single chain above you. What's really mind blowing is that there are faculty members who seem to be valued by administration, but they do not do their job. There is no repercussions for actions of "favorite" faculty members. Those members will miss class after class, not submit required documents by deadlines, show questionable content in the course, force students to drop, insult students, not hold office hours, fail all of their students, etc., but there are no consequences. Yet in the same breath the admin claim we must all be professional and complete material on time or our yearly evaluations will be affected and thus our jobs in jeopardy, but that only seems to apply to select individuals. There are faculty here who arrive hungover but administrators simply laugh it off. How is that acceptable? There are faculty who receive class-full of complaints, but nothing is ever done about it. Some faculty have 10+ drops per semester so that they end with a class of only 5 students, but nothing is ever done about it. Meanwhile, what of the professors who try to work hard? They are not recognized or rewarded, only kept under the thumb of management. There is NO autonomy in class work, as we are all required to teach prescribed courses with "common assignments" and shell classes in Blackboard. The pay is embarrassing because they do NOT pay for experience. If you get a job here, they pay you the bottom of the rank for your degree no matter what. I came in with 30 years of experience and was paid only for my degree. I was offered the same amount of money I made when I got my first job as a 20-something year old with no experience. There is no upward evaluation system either, so if your boss is tyrannical, there is no way to report that or complain. If your boss goes against hiring committee votes because he or she wants to hire his or her friend, then we should be able to report this, but with the chain of command set up, we are not allowed to report a complaint such as unethical hiring practices (of which there are many).

Advice to Management

Support your faculty's involvement in professional organizations and conferences. Allow more open communication that doesn't require a ridiculous chain of command so that us peons of faculty are not allowed to communicate with the high and mighty upper administration. Promote autonomy in the classroom. Reprimand and fire the faculty who are unprofessional with a steady stream of student complaints and an inability to fulfill their job rather than shrugging your shoulders and allowing them to do whatever they want while the rest of us work hard to maintain professionalism and complete our work on time. Allow more flexibility with scheduling instead of forcing schedules on faculty such as requiring every faculty member to teach an evening course once a semester or a Saturday course once a semester, etc. Compensate faculty for their experience. Instead of paying someone with 30 years of experience the same as the person who is straight out of grad school, pay for experience.

"Joke of the Century"

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It seems I need five words, so: decent pay and excellent benefits.

Cons

San Jac talks a good talk, but lacks substance. It is disorganized, communication from the leadership down, and across departments, is tragic at best, and lacking any clear focus or vision. Expectations are not clearly outlined, yet come back to haunt you. Data is poorly collected, and very soft/fluffy, not really an emphasis; nor is any form of assessment. They take on initiatives at a whim, with very little time to implement, or thought into the value or effects, much less sound research to justify. They care more about image than substance. They are so afraid of lawsuits, they keep terrible, unqualified, disinterested staff in roles they do not belong in, or transfer them to different campuses or departments, rather than hold staff accountable or dismiss staff that is more detrimental than good. Drama, intrigue, and politics are extremely high at San Jac. If you are a slacker, lazy, lacking knowledge or qualifications, but can talk a good game, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly with your staff and students. Hold people accountable; even if that means dismissing poor performers. Back up your talk. Do research. Think through initiatives, and consider all the facets before trying to take on a new one on a whim, at the drop of a hat. Demand excellence from your staff and students. Develop a clear plan and vision. Live the values you talk about so often, but fail to adhere to. Stop encouraging and tolerating bad behavior from staff, including the drama, rumor mills, intrigue, and politicking - it creates a very unhealthy atmosphere, full of suspicion and kills collaboration.

10. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Professor in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Professor in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This college is terrific in terms of benefits and the way they treat people. Once you get on board full time, you can stay there for years. The facilities are nice, and the management really cares about their faculty and staff.

Cons

The oniine class sizes are capped at a level too high.