San José State University Resident Advisor Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 5 reviews

4.0
San José State University CEO Mary A. Papazian
Mary A. Papazian
  1. "A bit detached, but otherwise a good experience"

Former Employee - Resident Advisor

I worked at San José State University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free r&b, free food, and priority registration

Cons

Disconnect from coworkers, cliques are very prevalent

San José State University2019-08-23
  2. "Resident Advisor"

Former Contractor - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University for less than a year

Pros

Positive environment for diversity and great peers who are positive and motivated. Resident advisors are encouraged to create whatever programs best fit their communities. Everything is supervised and followed up on by a supervisor but not micromanaged (depends on your manager though of course). Management tries to get to know how individual RAs are doing and tracks how personal things affect their position. Lots of... opportunities are communicated to the RAs to be passed onto their residents so you get first-hand knowledge of events and opportunities happening in and around campus! Working with residents is rewarding, especially when you get to build strong friendships with them.

Cons

There is an ideal RA and although the community is outwardly diverse and accepting, there are cliques and it's not necessarily a welcoming environment. It can be very competitive too as is any job but the stress is heightened because you live where you work and the people you manage and serve also live with you. There are a lot of tasks to do for the community as well as your own team (per building).

Advice to Management

Seek to help your RAs without judgement of what it is they need. Many times, I felt as though I was here to serve and work towards becoming the ideal RA even when I was struggling with personal things. It made me feel completely unfit to do the position and management didn't encourage me. I felt judged for my burdens and my efforts were looked at with an objective eye. For a community that is made up of students, it... doesn't serve them well if you treat their contributions as though they are full-time. Yes, some RAs can handle the position better than others but you hired everyone with the intention of giving them a chance. You took that on and if you decide they aren't fit anymore, the best thing you can do is see to it that they finish out the position as best they can without judging.

San José State University2017-02-09

"Hard place to work"

Former Employee - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a good opportunity to work with students in the college level. The campus is beautiful and the students are very strong and determined.

Cons

Being a student employee they would not take my feedback, even though they would ask for it. Nothing would ever change as things were getting worse and worse as the year went on.

Advice to Management

The management needs to leave as they are not effective in their positions. They say they care for the students but they don't show that at all. All of them are doing whatever they can to save their jobs by throwing others under the bus so that they look good.

San José State University2014-04-22
  4. "Good but expect a lot out of you"

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and great culture!

Cons

The expect you to be extremely gracious of your work and sometimes expect you to work more than what is legal of you.

San José State University2013-03-16
  5. "Unappreciated"

Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University

Pros

Compensation is relatively good. Working with residents is very rewarding

Cons

Management and contract. Difficult hours and hidden work

Advice to Management

Focus on the needs of your residents and not your paychecks

San José State University2011-05-04