San José State University Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

San José State University President Mary A. Papazian
Mary A. Papazian
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment, Great colleagues (in 21 reviews)

• Great place to work for a first job or for a college student looking for a job with flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing / No cons to be mentioned (in 18 reviews)

• If I have to say something, low pay (in 12 reviews)

1. "19 years teaching Science and Engineering"

Former Employee - Lecturer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved my students, they could be challenging, and engaging, I learned from them as well as teaching them, lovely campus very accessable

Cons

Poor leadership, too much politics and bureaucratic turf wars, management top heavy, CSU has lost sight of it's mission: to provide a college education at little or no cost for the children of California residents. My total fees were under 350$/semester at SJSU in 1987, it is now higher than 10x inflation has NOT increased that much in the past 30 years. So why are costs out of control? Sure some budget cuts, and a greater number of students, but administrative bloat has much to do with the cost increases. And everyone hates the parking situation, and have for the past 30 years.

Advice to Management

trim your numerous VP positions and their staff, provide some sort of mandatory leadership training for new department chairs.

2. "Student Worker"

Former Employee - Student Worker in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get free food and the chance to be promoted.

Cons

The dining commons was a mess. Very dirty, food wasn't good and the service was slow.

3. "Resident Advisor"

Former Contractor - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive environment for diversity and great peers who are positive and motivated. Resident advisors are encouraged to create whatever programs best fit their communities. Everything is supervised and followed up on by a supervisor but not micromanaged (depends on your manager though of course). Management tries to get to know how individual RAs are doing and tracks how personal things affect their position. Lots of opportunities are communicated to the RAs to be passed onto their residents so you get first-hand knowledge of events and opportunities happening in and around campus! Working with residents is rewarding, especially when you get to build strong friendships with them.

Cons

There is an ideal RA and although the community is outwardly diverse and accepting, there are cliques and it's not necessarily a welcoming environment. It can be very competitive too as is any job but the stress is heightened because you live where you work and the people you manage and serve also live with you. There are a lot of tasks to do for the community as well as your own team (per building).

Advice to Management

Seek to help your RAs without judgement of what it is they need. Many times, I felt as though I was here to serve and work towards becoming the ideal RA even when I was struggling with personal things. It made me feel completely unfit to do the position and management didn't encourage me. I felt judged for my burdens and my efforts were looked at with an objective eye. For a community that is made up of students, it doesn't serve them well if you treat their contributions as though they are full-time. Yes, some RAs can handle the position better than others but you hired everyone with the intention of giving them a chance. You took that on and if you decide they aren't fit anymore, the best thing you can do is see to it that they finish out the position as best they can without judging.

4. "Lab assistant"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great staff and great learning environment!

Cons

The position is through work study but management is a little hard to work with with scheduling and class conflicts.

Advice to Management

More staff meetings might help with issues in the workplace.

"Professor"

Current Employee - Professor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Predictable bureaucracy, excellent benefits and retirement, job security, freedom to research whatever one pleases, pleasant students without entitlement attitudes, diversity

Cons

Rigid bureaucracy with a just say no mentality. No innovation or effective leadership.

Advice to Management

Management should be more focused on increasing excess revenues by charging market rates and also cutting fat in bureaucracy to cut costs.

6. "Chairs, coordinators, etc are not trained"

Current Employee - Lecturer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lecturer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Working with students; working with other colleagues who teach; campus

Cons

No training for people in management positions; too top heavy with administration

Advice to Management

Train coordinators, chairs, etc. delete at least half of the administration; put money into classes

"Tenure line faculty at SJSU"

Current Employee - Professor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits
    one of the last companies with a real defined benefit pension plan
    beautiful campus in downtown San Jose

Cons

The SJSU motto: we get our money's worth out of our faculty. The place will work you to death. If you're an assistant professor starting out and have other options, take them. Your research will be crippled by the back-braking amount of work (4/4 load) and then you won't be fit for a job any place else. The administration functions with a scarcely concealed contempt for the faculty and stays up night coming up with more regulations for you to follow. At least Mo Qayoumi is gone!

Advice to Management

Considering the cost of recruiting talented professors, and the challenge convincing them that they can actually survive in Silicon Valley on an assistant prof's salary, you should treat them better when they start work at SJSU. A little moral support would be nice, since certainly the financial support is not forthcoming.

8. "My manager told supervisors if they had no employee complaints against them they weren't doing their job"

Former Employee - Facilities Customer Service in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Facilities Customer Service in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the SJSU community I supported and they were appreciative of me. The insurance was amazing.

Cons

My management team was horrid. Back stabbing. Lying. Throwing people under the bus. We had 11 people in one division and 6 left within a few months. Me included. Every day was a night mare. There was no trust that an employee was working. They micro managed and over worked us. I started with one role and ended with 4 roles. Couldn't get a raise or a change in my job discription. Just a "we appreciate you" and I would have stayed.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. People work harder for you and are more loyal when you treat them with respect.

"not a living wage"

Current Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Lecturer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University (More than 10 years)

Pros

students are great location is perfect

Cons

treated as disposable workers, administration does not value its own degrees

Advice to Management

reduce and revalue the number and salary of the administration

10. "Better than unemployment"

Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University (More than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits package, worthwhile pension if you can stay put for 30 years.

Cons

HR always sides with MPPs (directors), internal conflicts, lots of politics, and terrible pay.

Advice to Management

Think of the students and the staff / faculty who support them, and act accordingly.