San José State University Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

San José State University San Jose Reviews

Updated July 14, 2017

San Jose, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment, Great colleagues (in 21 reviews)

• Great place to work for a first job or for a college student looking for a job with flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing / No cons to be mentioned (in 17 reviews)

• If I have to say something, low pay (in 12 reviews)

1. "Resident Advisor"

Former Contractor - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Resident Advisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive environment for diversity and great peers who are positive and motivated. Resident advisors are encouraged to create whatever programs best fit their communities. Everything is supervised and followed up on by a supervisor but not micromanaged (depends on your manager though of course). Management tries to get to know how individual RAs are doing and tracks how personal things affect their position. Lots of opportunities are communicated to the RAs to be passed onto their residents so you get first-hand knowledge of events and opportunities happening in and around campus! Working with residents is rewarding, especially when you get to build strong friendships with them.

Cons

There is an ideal RA and although the community is outwardly diverse and accepting, there are cliques and it's not necessarily a welcoming environment. It can be very competitive too as is any job but the stress is heightened because you live where you work and the people you manage and serve also live with you. There are a lot of tasks to do for the community as well as your own team (per building).

Advice to Management

Seek to help your RAs without judgement of what it is they need. Many times, I felt as though I was here to serve and work towards becoming the ideal RA even when I was struggling with personal things. It made me feel completely unfit to do the position and management didn't encourage me. I felt judged for my burdens and my efforts were looked at with an objective eye. For a community that is made up of students, it doesn't serve them well if you treat their contributions as though they are full-time. Yes, some RAs can handle the position better than others but you hired everyone with the intention of giving them a chance. You took that on and if you decide they aren't fit anymore, the best thing you can do is see to it that they finish out the position as best they can without judging.

2. "intern in company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I want to learn new skills and new what I did not learn before, to improve myself to be a success people.

Cons

I work in the company and I learn how to scan the documented, to analyze the file. Sometimes I have a question I will ask them to let them taught me.

Advice to Management

They are all kind and friendly, the first time they taught me and let me know what is this and how to work.

3. "Student review"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great University. Lower fees and great value for money

Cons

Professors and courses not that great.

Advice to Management

Please try to appoint better professors and to keep class strength low.

4. "Senior Assistant Librarian"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Librarian in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Librarian in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge library with opportunities to learn from brilliant people. Excellent state benefits and good salary. Senior Assistant Librarians, a.k.a. part-time librarians, do have faculty status as of January 2017 and two part-time librarians have gone onto the tenure track. Most coworkers are friendly and helpful. A year or two here will lead you to a great job elsewhere.

Cons

Part-time librarians are on a year-to-year contract and hours can go up or down depending on the budget. Warring factions, entrenched favoritism, and a couple of feuds means palace intrigue under a glossy veneer of civility is a constant. Most full-time librarians will treat you like a colleague, but be braced for limitless condescension from a few.

Advice to Management

Current management does most the talking and little of the listening, but the addition of a new associate dean in January 2017 may change that for part-time librarians. Since Senior Assistant Librarians are faculty, and since in-house info is often incomplete or unclear regarding part-time librarians, you would be well-advised to contact your CFA representative with questions about leave, benefits, coverage or other mechanics of employment.

Helpful reading:

How to Stay Afloat in the Academic Library Pool, Teresa Neely, editor

What Would Machiavelli Do?: The Ends Justify the Meanness by Stanley Bing

P.S.- The CEO rating is not for the SJSU president but for the library dean.

5. "Lab assistant"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great staff and great learning environment!

Cons

The position is through work study but management is a little hard to work with with scheduling and class conflicts.

Advice to Management

More staff meetings might help with issues in the workplace.

6. "I'm currently a full time student"

Current Employee - Full Time Student in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Student in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San José State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great opportunity, great location in the heart of silicon valley

Cons

lot of hrs, lack of diversity fairly segregate

Advice to Management

be more flexibe

7. "Peer Tutor"

Former Employee - Peer-Tutor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Peer-Tutor in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was OKAY and you can work flexible. They try to give you the time slots that you want to work.

Cons

You cannot work as much as you can. They only give you 10-15 hours per week.

8. "Stay away from this place"

Former Employee - Computer Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University full-time

Pros

Coworkers were helpful for the most part.

Cons

Manager was very demanding and is no longer in that job. No training provided. Paid for an item to fix the problem and they refused reimbursement and did not return the item. This was elevated without success. Tried to offset it with something that was owed them and they short paid a state tax refund to recover the money. Stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Provide traning on purchasing items for San Jose State.

9. "Design Intern"

Former Employee - Design Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Assistant in San Jose, CA

Pros

Able to work on multiple projects for the university and was fairly compensated. Supervisors were very understanding of class schedules and other time commitments.

Cons

Occasionally projects pile up and deadlines aren't met because of mandatory meetings.

10. "ANALYST - PROGRAMMER"

Former Employee - Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at San José State University (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Company to work with perfect work life balance

Cons

Being a manager is more beneficial than an engineer

Advice to Management

Equal compensation at same level of experience