San Luis Obispo County, California Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James R. Patterson

1. "Good for a college student"

Former Employee - Student Intern in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours as a student intern, great people to work with

Cons

Lots of disorganization and miscommunication

2. "SLO Growth"

Current Employee - Planner in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Planner in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team and the people I work with within my department are good, honest and hardworking; it's a wonderful work environment in the sense that I do feel that I receive adequate social support to learn and grow in the position.

Cons

There seems to be very little room for maneuverability and growth. In addition to this, the work can be highly political and rocking the boat or even suggesting innovative ways to improve and create efficiency is not always welcomed. Also, pay is low in comparison to cost of living in San Luis Obispo.

3. "San Luis Obispo County"

Former Employee - Assistant Resident Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Resident Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in the Construction Department, you gain a lot of useful field experience.

Cons

Your hours tend to exceed a normal eight-hour work day, but you don't work too far over 40 hours. Usually 40-45 hours per week.

4. "SLO County Employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are nothing but positives in working for San Luis Obispo County.

Cons

I firmly believe there are no "Cons" with this employer.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...

5. "Coworkers are great"

Current Employee - Public Health Nurse in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Public Health Nurse in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers make the place wonderful. Not working on weekends, nights, or holidays is great.

Cons

The pay. SLO county pays about $4.20 an hour less than any other comparable county for the same position. Also, the pay for other local facilities that employ nurses pays anywhere from 15k-30k per year MORE. Just an fyi.

Advice to Management

Objectively look at salaries, the total benefits package. We pay $1300/month for health insurance. Hospital nurses and their families pay about $200/month.

"Get Used to Hearing "It is what it is""

Current Employee - Employment Resource Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Employment Resource Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement, possibility of promotion or transfer to better position within the county, approves leaves/FMLA promptly, has room for pumping milk. Training was not that bad (for me at least). Each office is different (SLO, AG, etc.) so experience might vary by the office you are assigned too.

Cons

ERS is a burn-out job. Temporary increases in caseload are not temporary, they are ALWAYS understaffed, and promotions are not based on how well you manage your caseload. Management likes to say understaffing is because of large number of promotions, but some workers ask for "demotions" to lower paying, less stressful jobs, and some just quit. Be aware that it is stressful, that you will be asked to do things in stupidly inefficient way, you will have difficulty getting supplies, and morale is low. It is a good idea to start applying for other positions as soon as you are eligible, I have not met anyone being promoted above ERS and going back to ERS....but I have met lots promoted to ERS who choose to go back to "lower" position.

Advice to Management

Management is aware of morale issues, understaffing, poor working conditions, etc.

7. "Not a place to change the world, but a great place to work"

Current Employee - Network Engineer II in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer II in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours / days, decent benefits, good pay for the area

Cons

Not a "high speed" environment, not for someone who wants to work on the cutting edge, but perfect for people with families to think about.

"Social Worker III/IV with San Luis Obispo County"

Former Employee - Social Worker in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Social Worker in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay was good, plenty of opportunities for OT, a lot of training and educational opportunities.

Cons

The deputy director Tracy Schiro (Buckingham) and head of HR for DSS Natalie Walters are completely insane. They run the place by fear. There are AMAZING social workers that do amazing work in the agency. I don't know one supervisor or regional manager that didn't do terrific work and did not support those they managed. They offered constructive criticism when needed, education and encouragement. However, it is on an almost monthly basis to have a supervisor, regional manager, or social worker will be moved, demoted, put on leave or written up. Every employee I know in the agency dislikes Tracy and Natalie and the way they treat employees and run things. A lot of people leave the agency, and those who stay do it because of the money or fear of change. It is a very sad situation and the only way it will change is if management is held accountable for the way they run things. I was blessed because I never got in their line of fire, but I saw too many great individuals I looked up to who did things the best they could get blasted for things often out of their control. I could not stand for it anymore and found another place of employment.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you would like to be treated. Smile. Encourage others instead of questioning and putting them down. Be moral and someone people look up to instead of fearing. Work with people and understand their position instead of writing them up because you only see things from your perspective which is immoral and misguided. Understand the social workers and supervisors on the front line can bring a lot more to understanding situations than you.

"Great job, inconsistent leadership"

Former Employee - Employment Services Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Employment Services Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, co workers, work-life balance, location

Cons

Inconsistent leadership, office culture to political

Advice to Management

Honor your employees and stop the punitive atmosphere

10. "luis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

alright fun but to much work

Cons

work hard and no party