San Mateo County Human Services Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Iliana Rodriguez
  1. "Working at HSA"

Former Employee - Benefits Counselor in San Carlos, CA

I worked at San Mateo County Human Services Agency part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with the staff; they are generally individuals who genuinely care about clients and are trying to help them out of difficult situations. Additionally, there is a great deal of open communication and co-workers are generally open to new ideas and input.

Cons

Sometimes its difficult to deal with the bureaucracy and at times programs are implemented that do not necessarily help to assist the client, but are instituted by mandate.

Advice to Management

Try to trim the bureaucracy and let people who help clients one-on-one have more say in the process.

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2015-10-27
  2. "Lots of hidden agendas, but good pay"

I have been working at San Mateo County Human Services Agency

Pros

I love working with the other interns and clients, they make it worth coming into work

Cons

Some of managers like to pretend like they know what they are doing and not listen to subordinates

Advice to Management

Just listen to us and then most problems we face wont even be an issue

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2016-09-28
  3. "Benefits Analyst"

I worked at San Mateo County Human Services Agency full-time

Pros

Help community residents in getting health coverage.

Cons

Poor management. High turn over of staff and no stability in organizational processes.

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2016-07-26
    • "Most uncaring leadership team for both the employees and the clients we serve"

Current Employee - Benefit Analyst II in Belmont, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County Human Services Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, pay location near freeway and trains

Cons

Supervisors must unmotivting/unsupportive group of people I've ever worked for or with in my career.

Advice to Management

Supervisors do not belong in offices. They should've in the floor guiding and coaching staff. Closed doors unless in conference with employees or mgmt are wrong. Supervisors get paid too much money to be making daily schedules. That's admin work. Supervisors should greet staff and help staff instead of being invisible. I have had supervisors that I can go a week without seeing despite being feet away as they sequester...

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2015-06-07

"Inexperienced, untrained managers,"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Belmont, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County Human Services Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Caring Board of Supervisors and nonprofits.

Cons

Very few of the managers and directors, less than 25%, went through a competitive recruitment process. Most were appointed by the previous Executive Director and had no management or supervisory experience or training in their programs. The only people who do are line staff.

Advice to Management

Bring in program (not organizational) consultants to help with program design. Create an advisory board consisting of nonprofit staff. Ask for help from the state and other counties. Listen to your staff. They are running the programs so get out of their way.

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2015-04-05

"I feel sorry for the clients"

I have been working at San Mateo County Human Services Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really can't say anything positive about working for the county. It is unfortunate but true. I don't want to sound like a stereotypical angry employee who is using an anonymous post to blast his employer, but I just can't say anything positive about working here.

Cons

Most of the workers do their jobs poorly. They aren't there to help the clients, they are just there to punch in and punch out. There are a few workers who really care for their clients and go the extra mile for them but they are few, far between, and are often rendered impotent by the poor job their co-workers do. There are so many other things I could write but I'll just leave it there.

Advice to Management

Your leadership is poor. You management abilities are non-existent. Please, leave your positions for the sake of the clients you serve.

San Mateo County Human Services Agency2014-07-25