San Mateo County Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 9 reviews

3.8
San Mateo County Library CEO Anne-Marie Despain
Anne-Marie Despain
  1. "Lead Outreach Intern"

I worked at San Mateo County Library part-time

Pros

Variety of activities and projects to do for the library system. Fair expenses reimbursements Able to schedule myself Great supervisors

Cons

Projects were spread out too thin at times. Career opportunities were somewhat minimal. Felt like a temporary paid position rather than an internship.

San Mateo County Library2018-09-18

"Customer centric, with little concern for employees and growth"

Former Employee - Library Assistant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at San Mateo County Library for more than 3 years

Pros

- pro customer approach - emerging technology - updated technology for staff & patrons - can be fun - interactions with patrons - ability to develop programming - ability to transfer between branches (mostly due to vacancies)

Cons

- Constant turnover due to low pay and over reliance on extra help (sub staff). - High school interns lacking life and professional experience frequently hired just to fill in gaps. - new jobs are posted externally days to weeks before being announced internally. Common complaints from those who’ve been around for decades & those recently hired: - more than 1/2 staff at a branch are subs who change daily, rather...

Advice to Management

Find managers and supervisors with actual management experience. Work on retention. Hire from the well qualified staff within, especially for permanent PT/FT positions. Stop using subs daily to fill in work permanent staff do.

San Mateo County Library2019-03-09
  3. "Youth and Outreach Intern"

I worked at San Mateo County Library

Pros

Loved interning here. The staff at my location was very nice and helpful. They tell you exactly what you need to know to do your job and I loved working with the kids. Fellow interns were also really friendly and nice. We made flyers and did some outreach at the Farmer's Market.

Cons

Not a lot to do on some days. Some days were packed and very busy and other days were slow.

San Mateo County Library2018-11-26
    • "Great Time at the Sanchez library"

Current Employee - Library Aide in Pacifica, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County Library part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Both the staff and management have been great to work with. I've really enjoyed helping out with some of the various events we have at the library such as family movie night or musical story time. Also I get easy access to free books, CDs, and movies when I want them.

Cons

The building itself is rather small. This leads to issues of managing space for equipment and staff. Its very easy to bump into other staff or patrons when working there.

San Mateo County Library2018-04-08
    • "Good experience"

Former Employee - Youth Learning and Outreach in Redwood City, CA

I worked at San Mateo County Library for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule Gain experience communicating with guests and children, managing activities

Cons

Not very busy or exciting tasks Can get repetitive

San Mateo County Library2018-01-28
    • "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Library Assistant

I have been working at San Mateo County Library full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People need libraries, especially poor people, homeless, kids.

Cons

Can be monotone and unappreciated work.

Advice to Management

It's hard to attract diverse people to libraries because the materials are not there. San Jose has some great programs that we could copy.

San Mateo County Library2017-11-15

"Lead Learning Facilitator"

Current Employee - Lead Teaching Facilitator in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County Library for less than a year

Pros

Really supportive and helpful to develop skills and manage tasks.

Cons

No overtime for interns, there is an abundance of work that would be don't but theres no downtime ever if you are a go getter and have the right attitude to completing tasks

Advice to Management

Keep your expectations high with interns. Theres much for the people that apply to work and be willing to be supportive for the needs of the organization

San Mateo County Library2017-01-04

"Very humbling experience"

I worked at San Mateo County Library part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and the staff is very kind and welcoming. Basic training lasts a week or so and the quiet environment makes it a great place to work.

Cons

Can get roudy at times due to sessions with kids whether it be reading or helping them find books in the database.

San Mateo County Library2014-09-08

"Aide"

I worked at San Mateo County Library

Pros

Mostly a relaxed and fun environment, great colleagues that feel like family. My supervisor and branch manager were flexible and willing to listen to concerns, pay is decent, every day could have something different going on and lots of community projects and events that make the workplace vibrant and fun.

Cons

Long hierarchy, decisions can take a long time and some problems aren't ever addressed, doesn't really have a clear structure dealing with issues.

San Mateo County Library2018-05-29