Cover image for SanDisk

3.9
SanDisk CEO Stephen D. Milligan
Stephen D. Milligan

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people (generally) to work with and a main reason why I come to work each day.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Good benefit , life and work balance(in 33 reviews)
  • "good culture and surroundings.(in 25 reviews)
  • "4) Good pay with stock options(in 23 reviews)
  • "because of the salaries there was good.(in 22 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

SanDisk was a great place to Work

Jan 19, 2022 - Diretor in Milpitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team, Great Company, Great Products

Cons

After being acquired most of the good people left.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

good place

Dec 6, 2021 - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

used to be a good place to work

Cons

stock price is not good

3. Join the SanDisk team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0

ok but not great

Aug 2, 2021 - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

flash market is a cyclic market but over all if managed correctly is cash cow

Cons

managment with limited vision limits teh company future

5. 5.0

Great

Feb 10, 2021 - IT Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great great great great great

Cons

Nothing - all was good

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Generous Bonus plan, Stingy on PTO, Lacks diversity, Good not Great place to work

Jul 28, 2015 - Staff Product Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

For the most part, reward is equivalent to performance. Motivated teams, very fast paced environment. If you can filter the noise, good learning experience. During regular day to day operations, never felt any discrimination, but there are groups, more like cults that don't like to collaborate.

Cons

Lacks diversity, sometimes situations and decision making gets too political. The generous bonus plan i mention equates to abandoning your personal life. They could be a bit more generous with the stingy PTO policy, out of which roughly 4-5 are forced PTO days, which they call shutdown. The only orientation or training that happened was with regards to HR policies and processes. Within most engineering teams, you are thrown in the pool and you learn to swim on your own. Most managers are managers because they run out of engineering titles at some point. A lot of these people need to be taught people management and people retention skills

9 people found this review helpful

SanDisk Response

HR Communications

We appreciate your feedback and your comment about our work environment. We strive to reward everyone fairly for their work and appreciate you recognizing that. We pride ourselves in contributing to the competitive environment of the Silicon Valley and believe our motivated teams are a crucial component contributing to this success. Your feedback about our orientation and training programs is very helpful. In our Voice of the Employee (VOE) survey conducted in July 2014, several other employees communicated similar concerns with regards to training. In response, a team of leaders from different departments have spent several months outlining specific issues within their organizations in terms of training, and have now created specific trainings that address the issues found within their organizations. We are confident that the time we dedicated towards this initiative will help solve several of the issues mentioned in the VOE and hope that employees find the new trainings useful! If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to reach out to any department, as we welcome any feedback that can help us continuously improve our practices!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Company with a future

Nov 9, 2014 - Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Global company with good management of future business opportunities. Solid control of the supply chain with vertically integrated with volume manufacturing of leading-edge development of products ranging from SSD server racks to NAND memory manufacturing. Requires cooperation of a diverse set of technical expertise and job functions. Strong management of company financials. Careful with expenditures, manufacturing efficiency, and product margins. Culture & benefits typical of tech companies. Constantly challenged by impossible design targets and schedules. Company pushes people to work hard. Engineering teams are goal focused with a shared sense of responsibility to deliver results. Company introduced health & wellness programs. Encourages contributions back to the community.

Cons

Expectations for results are high. If you're looking for quiet place to settle down, this is not for you. Constant reorganizations. Individuals may experience a lot of churn. If you're not politically astute, you'll be left behind. Work style expects people to toe the line and go along with management. Better to keep your head down and keep your opinions to yourself. Extremely stingy when it comes to reviews and promotions.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Doing the best they can with Enterprise

Jun 12, 2015 - Systems Design Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management seems to be quick to do what is necessary as they begin breaking out into the enterprise flash market. Customers definitely trust the brand and are eager to get a hold of new products. I came in as part of an acquisition of a smaller flash company who did not have a well-known brand and you can definitely feel the difference with the SanDisk name in meetings with new customers.

Cons

A few of the products could be better thought-out. There's definitely one or two situations where a product was created without a problem for it to solve. Building new products that don't directly support some current software is a definite no-no these days, so that will have to be addressed ASAP.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Aging semi conductor manufacturer

Dec 15, 2015 - Staff Test Development Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Used to have good benefits and culture. Can be a good learning career if the employee is active and aggressive. Working environment is well maintained, plus employer sponsored free cell phone. Good exposure to both engineering R&D and mass production systems.

Cons

What made SanDisk great is starting to fade away and SanDisk is becoming more average. People are very conservative and everyone is rather protecting the status quo than taking a risk of making real changes for the benefits of being more efficient. SanDisk typically follows a 3 year up/down cycle and right now it is in the down phase. One year of free dinner every evening can be followed by another without a single one. Not sure if there will be another up phase since it is being acquired by WD. Management is rigid with lots of politics. The management team is not adapted to technology changes and the business model isn't working out any more.

SanDisk Response

HR Communications

We appreciate your honest feedback. We have developed a performance review system that allows us to evaluate and promote individuals in an unbiased manner. Our goal is to have a superior management team that is continually developing and learning the best ways to manage their teams, which is why we have implemented a Manager Feedback Survey this year. The survey results have been used to spark these developmental discussions with managers. If you have additional feedback for management, we recommend you reach out to your manager, or the head of your department. Thank you.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Firmware Engineer

Aug 6, 2015 - Principal Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent compensation, bonus paid regularly if decent market. If you end up with supportive management (and there are some), means good opportunity for RSU's, extra compensation. company position as one of few captive suppliers of Flash memory could offer good long term prospects..

Cons

Hard silos, hierarchical management. As political as I've ever seen, even within groups. Getting on the wrong side of some senior manager by doing things like disagreeing with the party line can result in severe career consequences, which can be unrecoverable. Information and good opportunities, including what is needed to progress in your career, are tightly managed to create a class system of haves and have-nots. Information transfer between groups (Enterprise products, memory team, consumer products) is virtually non-existent at the engineer level, controlled tightly by management, and funneled through a favored few engineers. In some 'teams' communication is non-existent (one group communication within organization in nearly two years?).

2 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Sr Sales Operations Account Manager

Jun 6, 2015 - Senior Sales Operations Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I liked being a part of a large company. There was a lot of room to learn and grow. I liked that they had development webinars. The people that I worked with were nice.

Cons

There were a lot of meetings so supervisors were always busy on the phone or in a conference room. Most people would do their job and then throw the task over the fence to the next person and not give it another thought. The next person may or may not have known the task was in their court. A lot of things slipped through the cracks on their way through the system. Lots of long processes where multiple people had to be involved to get anything done. No work life balance. You are just a number.

4 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 586 Reviews
</>Embed

SanDisk Reviews FAQs

SanDisk has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 655 reviews left anonymously by employees. 70% of employees would recommend working at SanDisk to a friend and 51% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, SanDisk employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at SanDisk. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

70% of SanDisk employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SanDisk 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at SanDisk to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with SanDisk Job Seekers