SanMar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SanMar President Marty Lott
Marty Lott

Pros
  • Great work atmosphere, nice cafeteria, ability to work from home (in 20 reviews)

• Work-life balance encouraged from the top down (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth and extremely low pay (in 15 reviews)

• If starting in the call center there was limited growth potential short of being a supervisor (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance encouraged from the top down. Productive employees with a good attitude are acknowledged and rewarded for their performance. Open door policy and anyone can feel free to talk with anyone in management for direction, input, help, problem solving. Depending on the department & role within SanMar offers employees the option to work remotely which is a huge bonus. Many of us have worked at SanMar for many years & really feel part of the SanMar family. It is such a great place to work!

Cons

There are not many cons to working at SanMar. It truly is a great place to work. The couple I can think of are: Depending on the department, there are not a lot of opportunities for growth in regards to leadership. The IT department does not offer competitive or high paying salaries in comparison to the same role at other technology companies.

Advice to Management

Implement programs that allow for leadership training for employees who are interested in this type of career development so that when the opportunities are presented they feel qualified to pursue this path.

2. "Mostly Nice People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SanMar is a family-owned company that emphasizes a healthy work-life balance. Most people are very nice. Cafe is good.

Cons

Salaries are low in IT, but the schedule is flexible and it fits my needs. Software QA department needs better management. Projects keep missing dates.

Advice to Management

Hire better supervisors.

3. "SanMar Careers"

Former Employee - Administrative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative in Reno, NV

I worked at SanMar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SanMar Corporation is family oriented, and believes that the employees are their biggest asset. Their benefit package is fantastic, with employees being able to choose the plan that fits their lifestyle and budget. Their benefits include: Dental, Vision, Medical, 401K retirement program with employer match.

Cons

I would suggest that SanMar regularly check with salaries of comparable companies. The starting wage for entry level employment is lower than the competition. Perhaps an annual review would be in order.

Advice to Management

Other than wage comparison, SanMar Corporation has an excellent management team. No advice is necessary.

5. "Great company, but counterproductive local management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SanMar full-time

Pros

Good hourly employees, lots of entry-level opportunities

Cons

Local management is at odds with corporate values

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in to bring its culture back to this DC

6. "Private Owned Company that is growing but it takes time to accept new ideas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people. They care about what they do.

Cons

They like to do the same thing because it has been approved and accepted. Afraid of change.

Advice to Management

Grow. Listen to your folks and stop micro managing to a point where they can not offer new solutions. Also pay your people a decent wage.

"Positive, but some aspects left to be desired"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work environment, ability to work in office or at home

Cons

disconnect with Management, low compensation rate compared to area and job duties

Advice to Management

listen to those on the ground floor, build upon their feedback

"Production Supervisor"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Issaquah, WA

I worked at SanMar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They actively work to provide good pay and benefits for their supervisors. Some leaders also work hard to provide development opportunities. The leadership tries to maintain a culture of teamwork and fun.

Cons

Despite the attempts of the leadership to provide the aforementioned teamwork and fun culture, the stress caused by LONG hours and the stress of meeting extremely strenuous deadlines and production minima results in a lot of conflict and distress. The hardest part as a Production Supervisor was trying to motivate people to work their hardest even through upwards of 10 hours of overtime per week while maintaining their minimum production statistics, while diffusing the constant conflicts that occur among the team members as a result. The stress is also present for the Supervisors, who have to fight these fires and assuage the frustration of the hourly employees.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to find a better balance between efficiency and production. Provide opportunity and incentive for front-line supervisors to learn and grow. Develop your supervisors to be knowledgeable enough and confident enough to devise creative solutions, and then listen to them. When the process doesn't seem to be working well enough, challenge it and try something new.

"Great high paying job I have no problems working there"

Current Employee - Puller in Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Puller in Sparks, NV

I have been working at SanMar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people an abundance of food for sale and a great break room with a great manager and a very clean warehouse

Cons

Got trained on pulling but I still restock every once in a while which is not what I'm suppoesed to be doing and even my friends that work there don't restock as much as me I think there is some favorites in there

Advice to Management

If you train someone on pulling that all they should do extremely tired of restocking 10 carts a day when that's not my profession

""Family Values" Nowhere to be Seen"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Federal Way, WA

I worked at SanMar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work from home. Fairly good benefits.

Cons

Low pay. Almost impossible to move up. Do not work with their employees in case of family problems.

In a matter of 4 months I got married, had a family issue that required that I take a day off, took a planned honeymoon and lost my grandma to cancer. By the time all of that happened, I had no PTO left and had actually accrued "points" from missing too many days. There was no compassion, and in fact, when I needed a day off to take my husband for a dental procedure I was told by my supervisor that she "had already helped me a lot over the last few months". I nearly didn't get my quarterly bonus.

When I finally put in my two weeks I actually ended up not being able to complete them due to another death in the family and having to go out of state to help take care of the arrangements. When I called to tell my supervisor that I wouldn't be back I was informed that I wouldn't be allowed back in the building to return my computer and everything and that they would mail me boxes to return it all.

SanMar can tout their "family values" all they want, but it's obvious that this is just a line.

Additionally, management likes to hire outside of the company for supervisor positions. It's kind of hard to take instruction from someone who has literally never done the job that you are doing.

Advice to Management

Start promoting from within. Allow more growth and invest in your employees.

Pay better salaries. I'm sure most employees agree that they would rather get paid better than attend a company party for which the entirety of Centurylink Field has been rented out.

11. "Sanmar Review"

Former Employee - Processor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Processor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SanMar (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat you with the most respect.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a lot of turn over.

Advice to Management

Try to hold on to the ones always on task.