SandRidge Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James D. Bennett

Pros
Cons
  • Opportunities in Oil and Gas are really high right now with the two newly formed companies in OKC (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management in IT is TERRIBLE (in 4 reviews)

1. "In the heart of downtown OKC, a young up and coming company, with some growing pains."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Great co-workers
    15% Matching 401K in SandRidge Stock
    Newly renovated 30 floor tower in downtown OKC
    Potential room for promotions as the company grows.

Cons

No work from home policy
    Growing Pains - Structure can sometimes be missing.
    No "Sick" Days, sick days count toward your vacation/Purchased Time Off
    No "Casual Friday's"

Advice to Management

Stop kingdom building by some groups/departments... It's a poor substitute for good structure.

2. "Pleasant work environment with very friendly co-workers."

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The freedom to solve problems at Sandridge leaves me eager to arrive at work each day. The company encourages collaboration and creative thinking to help meet the challenges of the industry.

Cons

Career advancement appears to be slow.

Advice to Management

When you consider a major restructure involving potential layoffs, try to consider the employees with much less income than yours and fight for their benefit not just your own. Do not let greed drive you personally. Keep in mind the giving culture at Sandridge and try to help others as well.

"Great work environment & benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere coming into work each day is uplifting and the SD tower is amazing. Benefits are more than generous. There is a sense of involvement working towards the greater good of the company.

Cons

Mid level management seems unqualified, at least in my department. Managers seem to have just inherited there positions instead of qualifying for them.

5. "Great place to work, as long as you are not management"

Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, laid back atmosphere (at least in my department), but very professional and respectful. Supervisors care about making employees happy and also getting employees to do the best work possible and to work hard for your salary. We don't do "one job per person" like Chesapeake. We get a lot of opportunities to learn many different aspects of the industry. I've been given lots of continuing education opportunities free of charge, and my supervisor is eager to let me grow and be challenged in my role. Upward mobility is always moving, I never feel trapped or stifled. Our building is really nice, as well, and plans for the city block look really good. They are changing the face of downtown OKC just like Devon has. They also offer many philanthropic opportunities, if you are into that. (I like doing outreach after work, not during my work day, but hey, they're giving back, right?)

Cons

They refuse to call the January 2013 layoff a "layoff". The CEO even denied it in his company address, and then remarked he made 5 million dollars less than the year before. (He's a great CEO, but they're all detached, rich, old white guys, ya know?) A lot of the management team or upperclass executives like landmen are given bad information from lower down the ladder because of fear or intimidation. I wish the landmen had consistent work and did not switch territories all the time. Changing everything up makes it confusing for three times more people down the ladder. I think landmen/engineers/geologists would be more understanding of the people underneath them, and less condescending if they didn't demand we change it up with them. The good news - They are cleaning up a lot of the mess from old management right now.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: Make sure the landmen know who to contact about their problems. Instead of awkward get-togethers in the break room, maybe have smaller meetings with a couple landmen and a couple analysts and techs so that we can go through problems and questions faster, and face-to-face.

6. "Energy Industry has Ups and Downs"

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sandridge went through some difficult times, but the new management seems to be turning the corner. Some of the more political people have left the company. Overall its a great working environment. New executives seem to be doing a great job. Good benefits. New Investor EVP was a great choice both for internally charging up the team and externally for talking to wall street.

Cons

Hard to hold onto good people. Opportunities in Oil and Gas are really high right now with the two newly formed companies in OKC. Re-organization decisions need to be communicated better.

Advice to Management

Find ways to increase employee job satisfaction and confidence so they don't leave to unproven companies like Tapstone and AEP. Try harder to find out when and why people might be unhappy to reduce turnover. Once people make the decision to leave its much harder to change their mind than if you find out their concerns before the emotional decision is made. In addition we need to hire more people. In a capital intensive world, cost of making a bad decision is much higher than the cost of having one too many engineers to make decisions.

"Great Company"

Pros

I enjoy coming here to work everyday. The benefits are great. Another recent review on here mentioned that SD dropped their 401K match from 15% to 10%, which should still be nothing to complain about as I believe Devon only matches 6%. This is still very generous. The same review mentioned that the bonuses are given out only once a year instead of twice a year, but it is still the same concept. The twice a year bonus was broken in half so that you got half your bonus at the beginning of the year and the other half towards the middle. Now, you just get your full bonus once a year. What that same review did NOT mention is that we did actually get TWO bonuses, a personal bonus plus the company incentive bonus. The company incentive bonus was because SD met all of their goals over the last year and the Execs wanted to share this with the employees since they are the one's that actually do the work. I say all of this because I don't want anyone who is optimistic about working for this company, but then comes across a review such as that one, to second guess their desire to work here. It truly is a great company to work for and there are people in the company who are great to work with. The Execs in this company are really trying to find ways to give out more incentives to the employees, like our recent partnership with Organic Squeeze and the Tuition Reimbursement program they recently launched. The 980 work hours are great, there is so much to be apart of, the fitness trainers are AWESOME, and the company is still small enough to feel like a working family.

Cons

I don't have any to mention at this point.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the employees feel appreciated with all of the new changes and incentives. You are doing a great job and the employees do notice!

8. "Accountant"

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pay and coworkers!

Cons

Depending on department, managements is favored over employees

Advice to Management

Management should be reviewed when one of their employee leaves

9. "Decent job"

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time

Pros

The work environment is great. The younger co workers are open for growth. You have a chance to help the community. There are no real micro-managers. The pay is decent for the work.

Cons

There are a lot of older people who work there that are threatened by change. The company has a lot of skeleton that are starting to come out due to years of negligence. This with challenging oil prices make workers weary.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've really enjoyed working here. SandRidge is a great group of people, and they've really made an effort focus on work-life balance in the past couple years

Cons

There aren't very clear avenues for development or promotion. After a while you can sometimes feel stuck in your role.

Advice to Management

Offer more cross-training in tasks to help facilitate learning in overall understanding of operations.

"Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

Company Debt is too high.