Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Hodgdon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Top dog no longer"

I worked at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort full-time

Pros

Fast paced and beautiful resort.

Cons

Resort leadership seems out of focus.

2. "Housekeeping Office Coordinator"

I worked at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort full-time

Pros

I met people from so many different cultural backgrounds.

Cons

Inadequate training. “Clique” like atmosphere within the management staff.

Advice to Management

Definitely better communication between themselves and the staff.

3. "Salary - Minimum Wage"

I have been working at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort part-time

Pros

Fun work environment with employees

Cons

Hot days, Hard Work, Long Hours

4. "Overall good&bad employees are treated the same and schedule and advancement is very inflexible."

Current Employee - Dispatcher
    Current Employee - Dispatcher

I have been working at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do offer slight perks- not often but from time to time management will have office lunch or you can be eligible for bonus compensation (but that is very rare)

The pay, atleast for my position, is pretty consistent with most other places (not any higher but equal).

Cons

-Schedule is completely inflexible- my position only has two other employees from my self so if one person is off or calls out, the other person needs to make up the time so if any changes in schedule is needed it is next to impossible to get approval. Also, almost half the year is blacked out for time off so once you do finally get time off (after one year) you need to give 30 days notice for your request and you only have select times to take it

-There is no real reward for taking on more work/being more efficient then other employees. If you show you can do more work, they will just continue to put more work on you but there will be no compensation or acknowledgement. Raises are a flat rate so if someone barely gets by to get one and someone exceeds job requirements, they both would get the same percentage raise.

- Promotion is non-existent. In my department there is no room for advancement. Throughout the company it generally appears they do most of the management hiring from outside sources rather then within

- The company appears to assume all employees lives should revolve around this job. I am a hourly employee, I appreciate my job and have had no performance or attendance issues, and yet it still feels as if the management thinks everything else in my outside life should come second to this job. The employees need to be ready to work all the time and if unable to (due to prior commitments) it is looked down upon. I see this especially in the salaried management in my department. They are expected to work all the time- my direct manager works pretty much everyday from home to complete her work given and she works 9-10 hours in the office each day. To me, that is unacceptable and makes the whole company look poorly since it appears they expect their employees to work off the clock quite often.

Advice to Management

Reward good employees and have consequences for poor employees. It's very disheartening that a company would let so many employees skate by and then disregard the employees who are consistently going above and beyond.

Look into upgrading some of the systems the department's use. I am shocked at how inefficient and behind our computer systems seem to be. Improving how work orders or reservations are entered may cost money upfront but I'm sure would help improve guest experience and revenue over time.

5. "Room Service Cashier Review"

Former Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort (More than a year)

Pros

The staff gave scheduled break time, where they have their own cafeteria with decent food. The pay was good since my position's pay was $9/hr along with tips from the servers.

Cons

The shifts were 8-9 hours long and they start and finish at very inconvenient times, so at times I was extremely fatigued.

Advice to Management

The management should pay the room service cashier more hourly due to the inconvenient working hours. Around $12/hour should be payed.

6. "Unprofessional Management"

Former Employee - Recreation Attendant in Sandestin, FL
    Former Employee - Recreation Attendant in Sandestin, FL

Pros

-Decent pay for very easy job
    -Independent

Cons

-Very disappointed with the management team.
    -I received next to no job training and had to train my self 90% of what I had to do.
    -Unresponsive management team - would sometimes take days to get a reply
    -Pay system is broken. It was supposed to be direct deposit but every other time I've had to get a physical check
    -SanDestin security is extremely unprofessional
    -Managers do not care about you - on two occasions I had to get to an emergency room ASAP and managers wouldn't let me leave until someone covered my shift

Just a bad experience overall. I quit and will never work there again.

Advice to Management

Additional training for managers/change in management.

7. "Beach"

Pros

Outside, great pay, great people

Cons

There isnt one, its a great place to work at

8. "Unique Resort"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar Beach, FL

I worked at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful resort with 2400 acres of perfectly landscaped neighborhoods and beaches and bayside condos and homes to rent.

Cons

Management changing the course often and high turnover within the staff.

Advice to Management

Stay on track and connect with the team. Get out of your offices and ask questions about how they see the operations running!

"Full-time employment"

Current Employee - Guest Services Professional in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Guest Services Professional in Destin, FL

I have been working at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good beyond just health insurance, vision, and dental. You're allowed to make use of the amenities on occasion.

Cons

You don't get a lot of opportunities to advance your career if you start on hourly, even if you have the education and are more than qualified for a job.

Advice to Management

Look more into hiring employees that have been with the company for a long time that are overqualified for the jobs that they are doing.

10. "Best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Panama City Beach, FL

Pros

Wonderful morale within company. Upper management has an open door policy and they like to promote from within. Best company ever.

Cons

I really don't have any negatives to say about sandestin. I have never been so happy at a job before.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The employees truly have such a joie de vivre when at work. Always a pleasure to clock in.