Sandia National Laboratories Reviews in Albuquerque, NM | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sandia National Laboratories President and Laboratories Director Jill M. Hruby
Jill M. Hruby

Pros
  • They have an exceptional work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedules are very personal life friendly (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review needs to be revamped (in 18 reviews)

• Really needed a security clearance to be able to walk around un-escorted, even to go to the bathroom (in 11 reviews)

1. "Business Management Professional"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and exciting work in forecasting and managing budgets.

Cons

Unclear objectives from multiple reporting sources

2. "Summer internships"

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern

Pros

Smart people, good pay, academic environment

Cons

Lost of paperwork and training

3. "Good place to work in Albuquerque"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. Good pay for Albuquerque. Great place if you want to work in R&D.

Cons

Not the "real world." Uncertainty due to DOE oversight and contract change in 2017. Entitlement culture. Lack of equity in employee groups: one has pension and 4-5 weeks vacation (pre 2010), the rest have no pension and 3 weeks vacation, all in the same salary market bands.

Advice to Management

Drive towards a consistent benefits structure. Treat employees the same whether R&D or other technical/support roles - it takes everyone to execute the mission.

5. "Strong staff talent and excellent technical resources"

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sandia supports and encourages staff to evolve their career paths into areas that are new to them and require significant technical growth. This is one of the characteristics that attracted me to the Labs originally. This is still a rewarded career path. Strong technical talent is the norm among the staff. Work life balance and career stability are some of the strongest attributes of a Sandia career. 9/80 work schedules are very personal life friendly. Support for professional development, conference attendance is strong. There still exists a nice amount of autonomy to select and purchase the computing gear you need to best do your work (not necessary the case in many government associated organizations).

Cons

The funding linkage to the federal government is both a blessing and a curse. When the economy is down, its encouraging to know defense budgets tend to be less at risk of being cuts than being in private industry which may be shifting at a rapid rate (with the related job destruction potential). However, when the economy is strong and especially for hot fields such as CS, it can be challenging to recruit talent against premier name competitors for that same talent. Benefits are regressing slightly (most staff are apprehensive about what the new NTESS contract will mean to existing benefits - changes are yet TBD) and have been since around 2010. 401k match is above average for new hires, however the staff who have been on roll longer than 15 years are in a different group that still have access to the legacy pension plan. As is the case most st most companies, medical premium cost sharing has been rising consistently at an elevated rate. Career progression can feel constrained at times, and very slow compared to many newer companies in the high tech space.

Advice to Management

Generally management at Sandia has been very strong and responsive - much of our leadership at the highest level will be moving on following the change of the Lab management contract from Lockheed Martin to NTESS (effective 5/1/17). To the new NTESS leadership - please review the current TotalComp performance review process - I understand the drivers behind why it was adopted however the progressive companies in the tech space (which we compete directly against for staff) have all abandoned the stack ranking approach to performance reviews. This last generation approach to staff management is corrosive to effective teaming.

6. "Wonderful Company"

Current Intern - Business Intern in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Intern - Business Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Sandia offers fantastic compensation, and the 9/80 schedule gives great work-life balance. You also get to work with some of the nicest and brightest people who recognize and reward hard work.

Cons

Sandia is incredible, but I do not love living in Albuquerque.

7. "Cool place to work"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

High computation strength and intelligent co-workers

Cons

Do not consider international students w/o Ph.D for full time

8. "Great place for science"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Sandia is full of great people and is a great environment to work in as far as I can tell. Everyone I was working with was happy and engaged.

Cons

The main downside for me is the location.

Advice to Management

Why is remote employment no longer allowed? It would open up access to many more candidates.

"Principal Member Technical staff 27 years"

Current Employee - PMTS Physics in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - PMTS Physics in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

great working environment, great people, challenging work.

Cons

transition to Honeywell is troubling, Benefits have been eroding for quite some time.

Advice to Management

do not manage Sandia like you do the Kansas City Plant.

10. "good experience for student interns"

Former Intern - Graduate StudentResearch and Development in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Intern - Graduate StudentResearch and Development in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

+ good exposure for students to life at the national labs
    + surrounded by experts in their fields, very smart people

Cons

- Albuquerque isn't for everyone

"Unfair Practices"

Current Intern - Student in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Intern - Student in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great! Sandia has a 9/80 schedule for employees. Meaning you have Friday off every two weeks.

Cons

As a student, my internship has been below what I expected from Sandia National Laboratories. Due to the nature of work conducted by the labs, it really limits your potential as clearances take up to almost a year if you are going for a Q. The next thing is they pay you a lousy income no matter what experience you being to the labs. Just because you are a student intern does not mean you are beginning the field with out a clue. I have almost 10 years professional work experience in my field. I just graduated from my program of study and the labs are still paying you cheap, can we say it is cheap labor?

Next, to land a job here is impossible and I am now fighting a whole new animal. Employees will even say, 9 out of 10 times they already know who is going to fill a position before they even post it. They play favoritism for every position they hire for. To back up my claim, I heard the hiring manager tell another employee to get your resume ready that I am going to be hiring for a position. Hmm, that 9 out of 10 times sure is correct in this case and the position is still not posted. Positions are being filled by family members or friends throughout the labs.

I hope when honeywell takes over that the favoritism will stop and it gives other people who fit my description a chance. I rate Sandia a 2 because they fail in giving everyone a fair run for the position. I have seen position be given to people who have no experience just because their parents manage an organization within the labs. Or hiring someone just because they are best friends with someone in the labs. As soon as the employing inbreeding stops, it will become more of a diverse work place of equal opportunity for all.

Advice to Management

Stop with the employee inbreeding! Give everyone a equal shot at positions they apply for. Next, give someone a fair wage based on experience. Just because your in school doesn't mean you are learning the field you are working in. People do have experience so stop labor profiting just because the job title begins with student.