Sandia National Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Sandia National Laboratories Laboratories’ Director Steve Younger
Steve Younger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance without pressure of working OT" (in 128 reviews)

• "9/80 workweek is pretty standard" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Performance review process is constrained by corporate percentages" (in 21 reviews)

• "Red tape gets in the way at times" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Benefits"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance, great benefits package, good salary

Cons

Large employer, red tape, politics

2. "Job"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Challenging job with many grow opportunities.

Cons

The clearance process takes too long.

3. "Great Job, Management Needs Improvement"

Former Employee - Principal Member Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Principal Member Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Sandia for over 37 years. Things changed quite a bit during that time. What's Sandia does for the nation I thought was absolutely great though and would not have gone to any other place because of the nature of the work I was able to do to contribute to so many things that are important in this country.

Cons

I retired about five years earlier than I had planned on doing so. I had outstanding customer reviews and my performance was not rated accordingly as I was not part of the good old boy Network. I found that it became tough as a woman to be compensated the same as a man who was performing at a high level.

Advice to Management

Work at fixing the inequities in pay-for-performance. Trust your employees in the fact that Sandia labs are the best of the best rather than trying to be involved in things down at the root level. Management should be providing leadership not control.

4. "Sandia New Hire"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Fantastic work environment with exciting projects and great work life balance!

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting pay is great and so are the benefits. Almost every person I've worked with is great! very nice and fun to chat with

Cons

Raises suck and have gotten worse each year so eventually the high starting pay will lose out to other companies who give non-cost of living pittances. They are lowering the bonuses too. Documentation and training is awful so bring your best wit and ability to extrapolate information from nothing to learn how to do your job.

Advice to Management

Better training, better transparency. Management is general awesome but largely disconnected from staff

6. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool Job, Brilliant People, Worldclass facilities

Cons

Bureaucracy, Long commutes, High security

7. "good local company"

Pros

Benefit package for time off is generous

Cons

some hiccups but overall good

"Benefit in steady decline after Honeywell takes over"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Job Security. Professional environment. Air force base have many perks that is open to Sandia: swimming pool, gym, running tracks, outdoor activities. House is not expensive in Albuquerque.

Cons

Benefit has been steady decline after Honeywell become the new management. It used to be that you can earn flex time if you work over 40 hours. This is IMO the best perk of Sandia compare to other companies. It was nice coming to work on Friday off (9/80 schedule) if you are busy and work few hours, knowing you can take credit for those extra hours you worked in the future. Now You suppose to work 5 hours for free. So nobody will want to work on their Friday off.
    Year end bonus is said to be cut in half. You lose couple grand there.
    The NW part of Sandia is very bureaucratic, paper works, follow procedures, follow processes. If you are an energetic engineer that just want to get things done, this place will suck your energy dry. Far too many system engineers doing no real technical work but get all the recognition.
    Albuquerque is really a bad place to live. High crime rate, terrible homeless problem. Bad school district. Just a bad place to rise a family.

Advice to Management

After flex time benefit change, don't be surprised People won't work extra long hours during busy times.

9. "Postdoc at Sandia"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Work on interesting problems. Work with cool hardware. Work with nice people, and in a good culture

Cons

Depending on the org, doesn't have a high concentration of top quality researchers

10. "Toxic culture. Lots of double standards."

Pros

- Pay is definitely higher than you can get almost anywhere else in Albuquerque.
    - Good benefits.

Cons

I've been working here just over two years and am looking to leave due to persistent issues with extremely toxic people who have no sense of decorum or professionalism. I talk regularly with other new hires who are totally shocked at the rude, unprofessional and abusive behavior we witness, which we have never seen or experienced anywhere else. In talking with coworkers of longer tenure I have heard things like "this is a culture of fear" and "the strong try to make sure the weak get winnowed out." Among some Centers there is almost a hazing culture where the older employees make sure the younger ones go through a hard time to "prove they deserve to be here." I have also personally witnessed a LOT of double-standards for women in regards to behavior; men are rewarded for being assertive and standing up for themselves in the face of toxic bullying. Women get referred to ethics or the ombudsman and are told they need to be "more accommodating" or "nicer" and try not to react if they are confronted by a bully. The bullies never get fired or seemingly even disciplined; even if they are poor performers they just keep working and no one does anything. The contract transition has not done much to improve the culture - if anything, people seem more angry and hostile than they used to - and from what I have heard, half of the new ALDs are leaving at the end of their employment contracts next year. I have no doubt they will be replaced by the good ol' boys who are responsible for developing and reinforcing the toxic culture.

Advice to Management

You will continue to get sued and regulatory complaints filed until you fix the bullying culture that victimizes female employees. There are plenty of comments here telling stories like mine - time to do something.