Sandia National Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Sandia National Laboratories Laboratories’ Director Steve Younger
Steve Younger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor performance review process based on time served rather than productivity or project contributions (in 19 reviews)

• Lots of bureaucracy and paperwork (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Benefits"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance, great benefits package, good salary

Cons

Large employer, red tape, politics

"Phenomenal place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Impactful work in the National interest (the work we do matters to the nation and the world), collegial culture (i.e. autonomy to get work done), endless possibilities (tons of fascinating work, one can enjoy multiple careers within Sandia), intelligent workforce (some of the best and brightest, many are humbled and willing to help each other), great benefits (401K matching contributions, flexible schedule (9/80, telecommute), vacation and paid time off, incredible medical, dental, and vision plans with affordable premiums), career growth opportunities, and so much more. Sandia is truly a great place to work.

Cons

Since Sandia is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) and is not driven by profits, there are some inefficiencies with little to no accountability that can sometimes make the Labs seem lackadaisical and nonchalant. In addition, diversity needs to be improved especially in the STEM roles and at all levels of management.

The new management team (NTESS) has started to address some of the aforementioned opportunities for improvement, but there are still ways to go.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent to the workforce. Don't just talk about diversity and inclusion, but enforce it to hiring managers. We need more diversity (specifically more people of color) in the STEM roles and in management (including upper management).

3. "Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An extremely intelligent and committed workforce; strong benefits (at least for now); a culture that prioritizes diversity and inclusion, and emphasizes fairness of opportunities (the numbers of females in management is impressive); interesting and challenging work; opportunities to expand one's career into a range of different fields; New Mexico is awesome for outdoor and cultural adventures; and people are generally very friendly here.

Cons

A new contractor executive management team led by a subsidiary of Honeywell that is still learning Sandia's culture (they made a couple of missteps early that offended the workforce); a somewhat inflexible travel system (policies and provider limitations); poor management-customer relationships in a couple of spots (this is not believed to be widespread); threats to certain lines of R&D funding based on the Trump administration's disbelief in both science and climate change; Albuquerque, NM is not for everyone: some will love New Mexico and some will even grow fond of Albuquerque despite the crime and poor schools (for those who can't deal with NM, please check out SNL's Livermore, CA site).

Advice to Management

First, someone needs to deliver the message to NNSA and Congress that insufficient compensation and benefits present risk to the nation's nuclear security workforce. If the U.S. government expects world-class, even world-leading R&D then it needs to be prepared to increase the compensation to recruit and retain its talent. Second, Lab leadership needs to call out the administration and Congressional leadership for their failure to understand and embrace science-based R&D and analysis and their failure to drive policy accordingly. The administration is making policy decisions based on near-term economic benefits, decisions that threaten the long-term viability of our nation's resources, and the health and well-being of its citizens. Please step up!

4. "Excellent Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an organization that pays employees well and has an positive employer, management, and employee atmosphere.

Cons

None, everyone works in a professional, but fun atmosphere. Love going to work!

5. "Great work life balancd"

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/ life balance. Flexible work schedule (4/10, 9/80). Friendly work environment . Great values

Cons

I worked at the california site and earned my degrees while working there. It was hard to move up to where I wanted to be and it wasn’t because of a lack of effort.

6. "Benefits"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great benefits with vacation buy plan

Cons

Educational assistance should be reviewed

7. "Great workplace"

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time

Pros

nice colleagues, at a good location

Cons

everything is running quite well

8. "Lots of changes, not many for the better"

Current Employee - PMTS in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - PMTS in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart co-workers, interesting work, visible impact. Management is extremely well-compensated. A great place to end your career.

Cons

Some days it feels like I'm stuck in Mean Girls. Internal politicking is rampant and petty. Cyclic feast or famine. Dunning-Kruger is alive and well.

Advice to Management

Diversity and inclusion. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

9. "Amazing pros and dismal cons highlight Sandia"

Former Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia National Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was in two groups while there. This is pros of non-nuclear weapons group:
    -Very intelligent and well-read co-workers
    -Very interesting work
    -The projects are run by staff who pick their support staff. This leads to all co-workers having to demonstrate their value and contribute. No slackers :)
    -The benefits are amazing, simply amazing. Well beyond anything from any public or private place I've worked. They contribute a flat amount to your 401k on top of their matching! You can work a 9/80 schedule and have every other Friday off. Subsidized lunches at the cafe. A lot of leave. Unlimited sick leave! There's even a free doctor onsite!
    -The pay is quite good for the cost of living. When you compare it to other places, you can't beat Sandia's pay.....yes, even for compsci in SF.
    -The work/life balance is unbeatable.

Cons

The main downside is the location. Albuquerque is a dismay town with low employment, broad poverty, rampant crime, and terrible, terrible education culture. If you're single or never going to have kids, I'd recommend Sandia. Otherwise, it's tough to recommend. I took off about 2 stars just because ABQ is in my opinion a huge reason to not work here.

Further, the pay in the Livermore location is not a large enough locality offset to compensate for the cost of living increase.

From a work standpoint, nuclear weapons is very different from the rest of the labs. Generally, the people working in NW are not from as prestigious of colleges, there's a lot more politics in NW, and the projects and money flow from the top down, so it's got a ton more political feel to it.

Advice to Management

Could require managers and staff to work a rotation for the 1st year. Something like halftime or 1/3 time in different divisions. This way people start out not so silo'd.

10. "SNL Tech Staff Review"

Pros

Challenging problems, opportunities for job transfer to completely new problem areas - like having multiple careers without changing companies.

Cons

Normal downside of working for a big company - corporate training, etc.