KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Jun 29, 2022

Found 37 of over 1,180 reviews

4.1
Sandia National Laboratories Laboratories Director James Peery
James Peery

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "and great people!(in 113 reviews)
  • "Good work/life balance if you already have a family and are not looking for exciting things to do.(in 110 reviews)
  • "Good benefits with 3 weeks of vacation and enhanced 401K for new hires.(in 93 reviews)
  • "Good pay and benefit.(in 80 reviews)
  • "Great community and culture(in 28 reviews)
Cons
  • "poor management, very risk adverse which impacts mission accomplishment(in 33 reviews)
  • "It's hard to advance without becoming a manager, which is basically an HR position.(in 21 reviews)
  • "pay a little substandard and raises are small(in 17 reviews)
  • "Big and very bureaucratic, amateurish upper management, some really bad managers, lots of really poorly managed projects, lots of projects that should never have been funded.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Endless corporate training(in 10 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sandia National Laboratories and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

No workplace is perfect

Jun 21, 2017 - Member Of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. The people I work with are nice. 2. The work/life balance is good. I have a part time schedule (36 hours/week) in which I work 4, 9 hour days, giving me every Friday off. 3. You can create your own opportunities 4. Albuquerque has a relatively low cost of living 5. New Mexico is beautiful 6. This is a good place to work in your early career and looks good on a resume, but resist becoming too comfortable.

Cons

1. The performance management system is arbitrary and capricious, which is seriously demoralizing and demotivating for everyone. After 5 years of going above and beyond, I finally learned (and I'm not alone) that it doesn't matter if you work hard or not. Promotions and high ratings are handed out based on some mysterious method that no one on the receiving end understands. If the managers have a method to their madness, they're not sharing. High achievers can still receive a mediocre rating which just fosters a 'why bother' attitude. My personal (and private) annual goal has evolved into not becoming depressed and demotivated for several months after the annual performance review. 2. I don't like having to constantly look for work when project funding runs out or doesn't pass through the considerable legal hurdles fast enough. I have used quite bit of vacation time to cover a lack of project work and I don't appreciate that. I do that because there's a stigma attached to asking your manager to help you find project work. You don't want to be 'that guy'. There's an attitude of 'if you were smart enough or good enough, you wouldn't have a hard time finding a project to work on.' 3. New Mexico is beautiful, but there is a lot of crime here. Property crime is especially bad - about double the average U.S. rates. I don't like being worried all the time about my house being broken into or feeling like I can't leave town because no one will be around to prevent a break in. I don't like hiding valuables (like jewelry and laptops) when we're out just in case someone breaks in. This is probably the biggest stressor about living here. 3. One of the pros about Albuquerque is that it has a low cost of living - which is a good thing because according to Glassdoor, I'm underpaid to the tune of $25,000/year. 4. Promotions (see #1) come with minuscule pay raises which don't keep up with increases in the cost of living. The longer I work at Sandia, the further I fall behind. 5. Women don't get promoted at the same rate as men, although I've noticed that if the husband works at the labs too, the wife's chances improve quite a bit. 6. I don't really enjoy feeling like you can't master anything because every project is different. You have to hurry up and learn something and then the project is over and you never use that skill again. I'm worried that my time at Sandia will be an endless rotation of these types of projects and that in a few years, all I will have gained are 'Sandia skills', making me unemployable elsewhere. 7. Sandia used to offer 15 hours of training a year on a (technical) subject of your choice. I really appreciated that but now it's gone.

6 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive environment

Feb 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Smart people • Access to a lot of equipment Manager and mentors are supportive • Interesting projects

Cons

• Slow training process • Slow hiring process

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Poor Management

Sep 8, 2016 - Human Resources Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits and salary. Most of the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Managers micromanage and are not always knowledgeable about the laws etc. They need to train their managers on how to be managers and not just promote people because they are good at being a 'worker'. Work life balance is supposedly great, but there isn't any real work life balance. If you take off the manager gets unhappy with you!

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good work life balance

Oct 16, 2014 - Anonymous Intern in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay for interns was good. They offered several different events throughout the summer for interns. It seems like there are opportunities to move up the ladder as a lot of my coworkers started as interns. My mentor was pretty young (late 20s) and held a higher level position than others. My manager was polite and welcoming- she made sure I was getting adjusted to SNL and Albuquerque comfortably. Would occasionally ask how my work is going. Colleagues are very bright and welcome questions or concerns. SNL offers great healthcare and a 9/80 work schedule. They encourage everyone to further their education and continue to work at SNL. They also have daily food trucks, which is convenient in case you don't have time to pack a lunch.

Cons

My organization had to move offices in the middle of my internship. We basically switched to a different floor which seemed pointless. There is a lot of paperwork involved in the hiring/separation process.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Benefits

Jun 14, 2021 - Financial Analyst in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, good salary, interesting job

Cons

Whether the job is good or bad is highly dependent on manager

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Decent pay/benefits and work-life balance. Mediocre if not worse on everything else.

Feb 21, 2022 - Computer Scientist (1550)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits are pretty good, and you do get an annual bump in your salary, although it is a minor bump. Work-life balance is pretty good too as you can choose your own schedule (5/8s, 9/80, 4/10s).

Cons

There is a lot to say here. I can break it down into two parts: pre and post pandemic. Now, Sandia is an FFRDC, which means that for the most part, whatever the Federal Government says, they abide by. Keep this in mind as it will come up later. Pre-pandemic: Working at Sandia felt kinda weird. The managers were very hands off in most jobs I worked and it felt as if there really wasn't a manager there. A lot of the work seemed to be just busy work (Take this really old program and validate if it still works, or make a new program that will replace this old one.) It never really seemed like I was part of a team and more so like I was just another employee of the lab. Post-pandemic: Well, if the problems with management were not apparent before, they are very much now. Never before have I seen such topsy-tervy flippant rulings on things. For a National Lab that is apparently home to some of the best and brightest in the country, it felt more there were way too many cooks in the kitchen. So much misguidance and downright hostile interactions. The pandemic really showed me Sandia's true colors, and that's not even mentioning the vaccine mandate. If you can put up with having bi-polar leadership, Sandia is for you, but if not, please look elsewhere.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Above the Law—Above Common Decency—Not an equal opportunity employer

Jan 16, 2014 - Scrub Crew in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

–Pays well for some positions. –9/80 work shifts are excellent –Some departments offer some good education opportunities. –There are a lot of good people at Sandia Labs.

Cons

From the bottom to the top career opportunities have been become increasingly political and very little about qualifications, skills, or experience. In certain organizations, specifically support organizations, nepotism is rampant and obvious to all employees. Management is held to a lower standard than regular employees. In some situations Sandia will hold on to managers even if there is not a job for them, meanwhile they are making cutting other necessary employees and stretching teams thin. Management is petty and clique oriented. Performance is not rewarded or noticed while managers pick favorites to recognize. Managers and team leads will even go as far as to fabricate instances and spread rumors about employees. That kind of behavior is highly unprofessional! Management is not held accountable for their actions. In 2010 a manager told me he wasn’t going to hire a soldier, in front of witnesses. Nothing happened to that manager even after I involved upper management and outside agencies. On other occasions a VP has received a DWI, a criminal act that would cost a regular employee their job, but nothing happened to the VP as a result of his criminal actions. Management does a lot of talk about safety but does very little to implement it. Managers will fail to inform workers of hazards in their work environment, such as asbestos present in the building material. During an all hands meeting an upper level manager declared that the accident caused him more suffering than the injured employees. Again, not funny and highly unprofessional.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

SNL

Aug 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great reputation. Variety of work and able to work with some of the smartest people in the world.

Cons

Apparently HR dictates what your performance review should be graded as NOT your immediate manager. Egotistical colleagues, poor management.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work.

Feb 1, 2014 - Graduate StudentTechnical in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

versatile work environment with lots of people that you can depend on. If you get a good manager everything will be great.

Cons

lots of people running around looking for projects. Also, the line to drive into work can be a real pain in the butt.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Comfortable place to stagnate

Apr 28, 2016 - Fachbereichsleiter / Universitätslektor Projektmanagement in Livermore, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good benefits. Start with three weeks vacation plus ten holidays each year. But best of all is the 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off! You get to work with some brilliant people and see lots of really cool stuff that Glassdoor will never know about.....

Cons

This is a very risk averse organization, as you would want in an organization responsible for the nation's stockpile of nuclear weapons. However, some people find it frustrating to work under these constraints. The business and project manager roles are culturally second fiddle to the engineering roles. Middle management in CA are in denial about this disconnection. The technical managers in NM better appreciate the value of the business team.

1 person found this review helpful