KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews about "pay"

Updated Jun 29, 2022

Found 245 of over 1,178 reviews

4.0
Sandia National Laboratories Laboratories Director James Peery
James Peery

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "poor management, very risk adverse which impacts mission accomplishment(in 35 reviews)
  • "It's hard to advance without becoming a manager, which is basically an HR position.(in 21 reviews)
  • "pay a little substandard and raises are small(in 19 reviews)
  • "Big and very bureaucratic, amateurish upper management, some really bad managers, lots of really poorly managed projects, lots of projects that should never have been funded.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Endless corporate training(in 9 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sandia National Laboratories and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Intern

The best government money can buy

Mar 2, 2021 - Internship in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very interesting project work and flexible hours

Cons

Low pay and government red tape

2. 3.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Decent place to work

Mar 9, 2022 - Business Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for interns and others

Cons

Strict management and micro managing.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Was a great place to work 10 years ago but ever since NTESS (Honeywell) took over it sucks

Jun 26, 2019 - Computer Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart technical people; pay above average for the area.

Cons

ABQ has a big crime problem. But that is the least of your worries. Ever since Honeywell (NTESS) took over management they have started running the place into the ground. No parking. Limited office spaces (you get to work in a mobile shed). They are cutting benefits and they don't want to pay to upgrade your computing equipment. Internet is slow. It is harder to get promoted because NTESS doesn't want to spend the money on good technical talent. Too much money is wasted on meaningless research like machine learning. Honeywell seems hellbent on turning this fine institution into the Kansas City Plant (Kansas City National Security Campus). Consider any other place for a career -- you will be happier.

15 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits and work/life balance, but lots of red tape

Jun 30, 2021 - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance and benefits. Coworkers and management are friendly and smart. Having techs to help with your workload is a nice perk too.

Cons

Little diversity, lots of red tape, too many meetings, and hard to get access to specialized equipment unless your boss owns it. Pay is lower (when adjusted for cost of living) than New Mexico site. I often feel stretched thin.

5. 4.0
    Current Intern, more than 1 year

Great Internship

Apr 6, 2013 - Clerical Support in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and time flex

Cons

Managment was poor and tasks were unclear

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Full-time hire EE

Jan 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

My previous employer was a government job which was nice but the pay and bonuses were not really good. When I started with Sandia my pay was more of what I expected and I'm pretty happy with were I am. I only just started but I believe the end of the year ratings and bonus are on par with the industry so I have no complaints . As far as work Sandia it is diverse so there is a lot of things you can do and branch out in. They have good training and are not reluctant to do so.

Cons

I'm not sure if its just my group or if its a thing here but I find myself working alone a lot. I mean I work on group projects but the only time I see other members is when we have meetings other than that I work on my own and share the results. Before I was used to working side by side with my team and spit balling ideas in the lab instead of just meetings.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great People but Terrible Pay for California

Nov 30, 2021 - Senior Project Controller in Livermore, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working schedules (9/80 and 4 10s)

Cons

The pay across the board at the Livermore location is terrible based on cost of living.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

an excellent place to work

Feb 11, 2021 - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

great people and very interesting work

Cons

pay a little substandard and raises are small

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Sep 4, 2018 - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Starting pay is great and so are the benefits. Almost every person I've worked with is great! very nice and fun to chat with

Cons

Raises suck and have gotten worse each year so eventually the high starting pay will lose out to other companies who give non-cost of living pittances. They are lowering the bonuses too. Documentation and training is awful so bring your best wit and ability to extrapolate information from nothing to learn how to do your job.

10. 1.0
    Current Intern

Student Intern

Aug 30, 2015 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

- If you are an Engineer or Scientist the experience is second to none - Great pay for student interns; pay rate is based on completed # of course hours - OK networking opportunities for students - 9/80 work weeks provide good work/life balance

Cons

- VERY real divide (hierarchy) between the scientist/engineers and business/HR - Senior Manager's could not care less about their departments; only focused on climbing the ladder - Mentor programs are beyond lacking - Year round interns are only allowed to work 25 hrs/week, BUT you are expected to work more than 25 if you want a chance to be considered for FT employment later on

Viewing 1 - 10 of 245 Reviews