Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 27, 2021

Found 219 of over 1,146 reviews

4.1
Sandia National Laboratories Laboratories Director James Peery
James Peery

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sandia National Laboratories and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

N/A

Oct 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and great work life balance

Cons

Can not perform work remotely

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Missing Old Sandia

Nov 13, 2021 - Systems Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most positions have good work life balance A lot of new telework options have been developed over the last two years but all interesting work remains onsite. 4 -5 weeks of vacation depending on seniority. Diverse and inclusive Decent extended leave of absence, even though not as good as past. No compensation differences for onsite vs offsite work

Cons

Total comp causes pay discrepancy for some fields but boosts others. Other labs in NM and Cali pay better and have better benefits. Healthcare options keep getting worse Benefits have drastically changed since Honeywell has been in charge Raises don't keep up with inflation 20% of the workforce gets bonuses in a forced distribution rating system Sick leave and Paid Family leave are combined Career top out most ALD are brought in externally and internal candidates are overlooked. Good to not create the old good old boys club but discouraging for current staff. Culture created during COVID split the workforce. Those who could telecommute were able to live their lives. Those onsite were restricted and told conflicting information throughout the pandemic.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Experience of a Postdoc in Combustion Research Facility (CRF)

Apr 7, 2021 - Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a postdoc doing unclassified research in the CRF at Sandia California, my experience is not representative for several reasons: 1. Postdocs are only a small part of the overall workforce, 2. Most Sandians are in New Mexico, and 3. Most work is "behind the fence", i.e. classified. Bearing all of this in mind, I can share my unique experience. First, regarding the company in general: 1. Great work-life balance with flexible schedules (e.g., 9/80), and an overall culture that respects employees' personal choices. 2. Good pay, especially for a postdoc. Regarding the CRF specifically: 1. Great group of people. From the scientific staff to the technologists and admins, everyone I interacted with was competent, respectful and dedicated. Probably not surprising that a national lab would attract and hire a lot of "do-gooder" types. 2. Access to state of the art research tools, both experimental and computational.

Cons

Very few CRF postdocs are retained as regular employees. However, this is the business model: Sandia postdocs are treated like academic postdocs, where you are expected to move on after a few years. In exchange for your service, you will have the support of the permanent staff in finding a new position in academia or industry or within the larger national lab system. During my 3 years at the CRF almost all of the postdocs that I knew went on to a good job in one of these sectors.

4. 4.0
    Current Intern, more than 1 year

Good culture, great benefits, but bureaucratic

Aug 8, 2021 - R%26D Software Engineering in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is an amazing culture at Sandia and there are a lot of good people working together there. The company also has exceptional benefits and an amazing work life balance. The projects tend to be high profile with great impact for national security.

Cons

Because it is a lot of government work, there are a lot of bureaucratic processes that often get in the way and make it difficult to get much work done. Also, it is a strange environment where you have to spend all of your budget instead of being more efficient as in a normal business environment. I don't like that lack of focus on doing things more efficiently. I personally was not passionate about solving the problems they solve.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Job in Albuquerque

Nov 27, 2021 - R&D Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is great for Albuquerque, great work life balance and benefits. Options to work on diverse projects.

Cons

Pay not competitive if living outside Albuquerque (telecommuting). Career advancement is slow (driven by highly corporatized management).

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Going Downhill

Jan 31, 2021 - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

A company that really has the potential to make a difference, particularly with regard to National Security Great job diversity. Once you get in the door you can have many careers without ever leaving the company. Exceptional work/life balance.

Cons

Benefits have been on a continuous decline through the years. I have not compared benefits to other companies so they may be comparable but they are certainly not what they used to be. Hard work and superior accomplishments do not necessarily translate to high performance ratings. I suppose this is true of many companies especially bureaucracies. I was told that if I want to get paid for my performance I need to sell cars for a living. Too much emphasis on CRT by upper management and not enough emphasis on Science. I have seen people called out for their "white privilege" by fellow staff members during CRT training. Too bureaucratic - used to have a "Can Do" attitude but not anymore. If you want to work for an company that puts the politics of diversity and inclusion above all else this is the place for you. If you truly respect and value other people based on the content of their character but you do not embrace viewpoints that you may not agree with, you may find yourself in a toxic work environment for you.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Aug 9, 2021 - Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company cares about staff. Good work / life balance. Fairly good benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement, leave, flexible work hours, now flexible work location post covid).

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Salaries start out high but raises are skimpy. Government work required both personal and professional red tape navigation.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work

Jul 13, 2021 - Building Maintenance in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very inclusive, work life balance is excellent. I enjoyed everyday at work.

Cons

Sandia is in one of the worst cities in America. The city and state are atrocious. Crime, homelessness, gangs and a general downward spiral for the area. Born and raised in Albuquerque but moved before my family became a statistic. Murder rate is skyrocketing and auto theft is # 1 in the nation.

9. 5.0
    Current Intern

Awesome Place to Intern

Sep 13, 2021 - Intern in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work/life balance - Clear job expectations - Great community

Cons

- None that I can think of

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

SNL is a great place to work

Aug 18, 2021 - R&D Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedules, inclusive employer with work life balance. Critical mission for the safety and security of our nation.

Cons

Driving on to the base can take a long time some days.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 219 Reviews