Sanford Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sanford Health President & CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft
Kelby K. Krabbenhoft

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for the enormity of the position (in 15 reviews)

• Extremely short-staffed hospital-wide at the moment (although could be a benefit if you like extra hours) (in 9 reviews)

1. "Volunteer Coordinator"

Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Pay
    • Benefits
    • Office environment
    • Opportunities to collaborate

Cons

• Slow progress / approval for projects

Advice to Management

Allow employees to cross the aisle and work with other departments (regardless of title / senior status). It's nice to meet others that work in various parts of the organization. Who knows, it might open the door for more innovative ideas to improve what is already offered.

2. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people and environment are awesome

Cons

I have no cons that I can think of

3. "Sanford Health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work in a great division with great culture but not many pockets like this exist outside. I believe good intentions exist for the goals of the company and they are trying to grow and be proactive. They are slowly accumulating all the support of elements of a real organization and Enterprise.

Cons

Company Direction is unclear to middle management. Goals and directions are unclear and it appears to be on purpose. When something goes wrong blame can be assessed rather than understanding if even Direction was given in the first place

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan and articulated to each division with some meaning. Establish goals collaboratively with middle management. Establish a culture that is not so Sioux Falls driven as that is where all the other executives are homegrown. Gives the appearance that anyone outside of Sioux Falls cannot advance Beyond The Middle.

4. "Great New Graduate Experience - HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a new graduate in HR at Sanford. I made great friends and got great experience to start the foundation of my career. Sanford is large enough to where you can grow your career in many different directions. They are largely involved in the community which is great to see.

Cons

With larger organizations, size can be a con. In Sanford's case, I felt like the executive leadership teams lost sight of what front-line staff do. It took time to really convince top leaders to take the time to understand how each market (i.e. Bemidji, Fargo, Sioux Falls, and Bismarck) have different needs based on the demographics. There is a lack of internal checks and balances of how compensation is distributed.

Advice to Management

Feedback, appreciation and follow through goes a long way.

5. "Nursing assistant- ADL's , vitals, blood sugar checks"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great and for the most part a friendly atmosphere

Cons

They are always understaffed, patients do not get timely care

6. "My best years were in the ER, but unfortunately I ended up in the pacemaker & Walk in clinic."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork, validation, and everyone checking on each other to make sure we were doing ok or what else needs to be done

Cons

In 2014 I needed to move from Florida back to ND. I got a job 100 miles away from home. Very small town with minimal nursing skills compared to my years of experience of a large hospital. They accused me of something I did not do and terminated me..I have never been accused of something or at least verbally reprimanded of the 13 years of being a nurse!

Advice to Management

The place I just talked about, the manager saw me for an hour while was touring the lab... he never once called me into his office to ask me if I took 1/2 of an Ambien (which is silly because my hometown Dr. prescribed me it because of my hideous day/night schedule). But an hour before I was to go to work, he called and stated I was terminated and hung up on me. I am telling you this because I believe every manager & employee should have an honest relationship. To empower each other, not pin employees against each other or their Manager!

7. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People I worked with were always willing to help each other out and share ideas to improve patient outcomes.

Cons

Departments felt siloed with top down management. Employees felt little consideration was given for feed back offered.

Advice to Management

Listen and respond

"REALLY need to increase wages to fix retention problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My particular area had great coworkers/supervisor, Dr Drofa has instituted some very good changes and is amazingly talented.

Cons

MUCH lower wage than regional average and the longer one works here the easier it is to see that Sanford does NOT value their employees; employees that perform poorly or violate protocol intentionally are never reprimanded. Some people that refuse to do their job or parts of it should be fired and they just don't do that here.

Advice to Management

INCREASE WAGES to be livable/commensurate with performance and industry averages. It is a SERIOUS problem and the source of all the issues with retention. Everyone gets trained here and then leaves because you make so much less than EVERYWHERE else. It's ridiculous!

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to pick up hours if you are flexible with shifts, or open to floating. As an LPN you are able to learn and advance in your career unlike if you were working in a long term care facility. The culture is fun and team oriented. The management has always made me feel I am appreciated. I am PRN, and as long as I am flexible I have been able to pick up an average of 30 hours a week around my daughters activities and school.

Cons

Many of the CNA's lack basic comprehension of the English language which is vital to competent care of acutely ill patients.

Advice to Management

Management has been good so far. They approach constructive criticism well.

"Pretty decent"

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is nice getting promoted.

Cons

It takes forever to accumulate PTO.

Advice to Management

Give people some starting PTO because starting with zero and having a young family is not easy.