Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time

Pros

good benefits and flexible scheduling

Cons

Pay rates could be better.

2. "Analyst"

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time

Pros

Great community atmosphere with terrific benefits. Every department is different, but upper management felt engaged with employees.

Cons

They have a monopoly in Santa Barbara on healthcare employees which drives down salaries and employee leverage.

3. "Clinical Lab scientist"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great staff, beautiful clean hospital and state of the art laboratory. Patient care is number one. Cafeteria offers yummy food options

Cons

Downsides would be schedule management, no rotine or set schedule. Location have to commute from Ventura, and base pay is not competitive

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns

5. "Looks great but awful inside"

Current Employee - RN - Oncology in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - RN - Oncology in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary - just enough over the median to make you stay and put up with the crud, politics, and inane work environment
    Benefits - everyone raves about how good the benefits are but truth be told, I've had better. What they actually mean is that the benefits are above average in Santa Barbara, which is not saying much

Cons

Clock in clock out life for non-management - is a huge drag. Makes you feel like you're in prison because your minutes are being monitored
    People - the non-professional employees are the most terrible bunch I have ever met. They are unprofessional (a lot of them will cuss and display completely inappropriate behavior that would get them fired if they didn't work here), extremely catty (so much dumb office drama, retaliation, silent treatment, tiffs), and most importantly, not that bright. A lot of them can't even do the simplest job right despite going through rigorous training. Any type of departmental change sends everyone into a tizzy. They are incoherent, irresponsible, and inflexible. They get away with all of this because management is terrible. Every day, I wonder at least once whether an employee brought their brain to work that day. It is hilariously unbelievable and makes for great happy hour conversation.

Advice to Management

Fire incompetent people. Clean house!

6. "Concierge Review"

Current Employee - Concierge in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pete's Coffee cart in Pueblo Lobby location, Great experience, Professional environment, co-workers can be fun. I know that if you are in other departments the experience here can be amazing.

Cons

Pay is not that great, Health insurance is too expensive for employees in this department, Management can play favorites and not recognize employees who are stationed at other locations besides the Pueblo Lobby, Very strict policies on clocking in, inconstant shifts and hours, can be hard to meet managements expectations on our "Aggressively Friendly" environment in this department. Can not decorate for holidays or special events. Not much room to grow.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are giving positive feed back to all your employees in the department. Yes some concierge's have more opportunities to impress you but that is because you are at one location far more than any other. Have some understanding that not all guest or patients appreciate the "Aggressively Friendly" environment that you want to see us enforcing. Give your employee's a set schedule, hours, shifts and be more understanding that your employees do have a life out side of this job.

7. "PCT"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciated the people I worked for and our floor manager. I loved the location.

Cons

The field of work as a PCT/CNA is low paying for the emotional and physical demand the job requires. There is a huge pay discrepancy in the medical field.

8. "ER Tech II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees. Great Benefits. Fast paced work environment. Very focused on training and growing your skills. If you prove yourself as a good employee and finish nursing school, you'll likely have a job offer waiting for you upon licensing.

Cons

If you don't live in SB, it is hard to bond with the other employees. Odd hours and inconsistent scheduling can take a toll on your personal life. Techs do the dirty work, you definitely pay your dues.

9. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good salary. Overall the company does seem to care about taking care of their employees, which is important because the area has a very high cost of living.

Cons

The management is not always as responsive as one would like. There are not many opportunities for career advancement

"Poor management, lack of support"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Partly new hospital
    Mediocre pay
    New building and construction is taking place right now
    Employees are quiet and scared to speak up

Cons

Management is not supportive of their nurses. Lack of effective communication, using bullying techniques and refusal to address issues in a mature way are just some of my experiences while working for Cottage Hospital.

As an experienced RN, Cottage Hospital cannot claim to be the best hospital when it is the only hospital in the area.

Cottage Hospital is a lot like Santa Barbara residents; beautiful on the outside yet full of spite, gossip and poor behavior once you see the real side.

Advice to Management

Listen to your nurses. Ask how you can help. Treat employees with dignity and respect. Just because you are on the management and administration side does not mean you should just listen to one side of the story. You will continue to have high turnover rates of the behavior continues.

11. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

One of the best hospitals I have worked at. Great team work on unit. Very visible Manager. Beautiful area to live in.

Cons

Expensive housing in area, but one of the most beautiful areas to live.

Advice to Management

Doing great job on specific unit I worked on!