Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Ronald C. Werft
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "volunteer"

Pros

Beautiful hospital, wonderful staff, great cafeteria

Cons

nothing that I could think of

2. "Friendly and healthy environment and culture"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Santa Barbara, CA

Pros

Company cares about employees and listens to concerns and ideas. Healthy food options, excellent customer service. CEO is very approachable and friendly. Employees are generally happy and satisfied.

Cons

Cost of living is high in area which pay doesn't seem to match. In other areas more north the pay is considerably higher.

3. "Respiratory Therapist"

Current Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits .Competitive Salary. Excellent staffing ratios .

Cons

Poor management. No autonomy. Do not have therapy driven protocols. Not very progressive.

Advice to Management

Hospital could be providing better care and increase revenue by enacting therapy driven protocols.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time

Pros

good benefits and flexible scheduling

Cons

Pay rates could be better.

5. "Analyst"

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time

Pros

Great community atmosphere with terrific benefits. Every department is different, but upper management felt engaged with employees.

Cons

They have a monopoly in Santa Barbara on healthcare employees which drives down salaries and employee leverage.

6. "Clinical Lab scientist"

Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist
    Current Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great staff, beautiful clean hospital and state of the art laboratory. Patient care is number one. Cafeteria offers yummy food options

Cons

Downsides would be schedule management, no rotine or set schedule. Location have to commute from Ventura, and base pay is not competitive

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns

7. "Looks great but awful inside"

Current Employee - RN - Oncology in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - RN - Oncology in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary - just enough over the median to make you stay and put up with the crud, politics, and inane work environment
    Benefits - everyone raves about how good the benefits are but truth be told, I've had better. What they actually mean is that the benefits are above average in Santa Barbara, which is not saying much

Cons

Clock in clock out life for non-management - is a huge drag. Makes you feel like you're in prison because your minutes are being monitored
    People - the non-professional employees are the most terrible bunch I have ever met. They are unprofessional (a lot of them will cuss and display completely inappropriate behavior that would get them fired if they didn't work here), extremely catty (so much dumb office drama, retaliation, silent treatment, tiffs), and most importantly, not that bright. A lot of them can't even do the simplest job right despite going through rigorous training. Any type of departmental change sends everyone into a tizzy. They are incoherent, irresponsible, and inflexible. They get away with all of this because management is terrible. Every day, I wonder at least once whether an employee brought their brain to work that day. It is hilariously unbelievable and makes for great happy hour conversation.

Advice to Management

Fire incompetent people. Clean house!

8. "Concierge Review"

Current Employee - Concierge in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pete's Coffee cart in Pueblo Lobby location, Great experience, Professional environment, co-workers can be fun. I know that if you are in other departments the experience here can be amazing.

Cons

Pay is not that great, Health insurance is too expensive for employees in this department, Management can play favorites and not recognize employees who are stationed at other locations besides the Pueblo Lobby, Very strict policies on clocking in, inconstant shifts and hours, can be hard to meet managements expectations on our "Aggressively Friendly" environment in this department. Can not decorate for holidays or special events. Not much room to grow.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are giving positive feed back to all your employees in the department. Yes some concierge's have more opportunities to impress you but that is because you are at one location far more than any other. Have some understanding that not all guest or patients appreciate the "Aggressively Friendly" environment that you want to see us enforcing. Give your employee's a set schedule, hours, shifts and be more understanding that your employees do have a life out side of this job.

"PCT"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciated the people I worked for and our floor manager. I loved the location.

Cons

The field of work as a PCT/CNA is low paying for the emotional and physical demand the job requires. There is a huge pay discrepancy in the medical field.

10. "ER Tech II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees. Great Benefits. Fast paced work environment. Very focused on training and growing your skills. If you prove yourself as a good employee and finish nursing school, you'll likely have a job offer waiting for you upon licensing.

Cons

If you don't live in SB, it is hard to bond with the other employees. Odd hours and inconsistent scheduling can take a toll on your personal life. Techs do the dirty work, you definitely pay your dues.