Santa Catalina Island Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Santa Catalina Island Company Reviews

Updated October 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Santa Catalina Island Company Chief Executive Officer and President Randall Herrel
Randall Herrel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Avalon, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Avalon, CA

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was great working for a well established company serving the many visitors to Catalina Island. Beautiful area with great weather. Positive work culture. Fast paced environment. Great benefits.

Cons

Housing options could improve significantly.

Advice to Management

Cross departmental cooperation could improve. So could upper management's involvement with existing operations. Much attention is given to new high profile projects, which can distract from existing departmental needs and goals.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Chef De Cuisine in Avalon, CA
    Former Employee - Chef De Cuisine in Avalon, CA

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice views and facilities. Decent wages with lots of hours and overtime is there. Nice kitchen.

Cons

Terrible management. Unprofessional HR department. Lack of company support and vision. Monopoly on the island and it's citizens. High turnover. Dirty and MRCA polluted employee housing which is overpriced for the rent/space. Lack of positive feedback towards employees, need competent professionalism.. Company is crooked.

Advice to Management

Learn how to put yourself in other people's shoes. Stop treating your employees like crap. Demeaning comments and no leadership makes for a weak team starting from the top. Develop loyalty. Quit trying to come-up on your employees, offer better employee discounts and bonuses..

"Horrible nightmarish company to work for"

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Avalon, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Avalon, CA

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to live on the Island, which is beautiful.

Cons

Rapid turnover rate for employee's, not only in the IT field but everywhere else as well. They will make you feel terrible about yourself if you don't kiss butt and laugh at their dumb jokes. Once I left, my boss drove by me only to flip me off. Real professional! He also slandered my name when employers called asking for my direct supervisor which he lied and said he was, only to continue bashing my name. Incredibly sad people work here, sociopath egomaniacs....pathetic...worst company I ever worked for!!!! stay far far away from this island. (it also has a crazy drug problem that is swept under the carpet a lot of the times).

Advice to Management

Stop being so childish and realize we are all human beings with human needs! You are not special! Treat others with respect. Stop firing and hiring so fast, that is incredibly destructive of others lives (not that you care about that sort of thing).

"Lead ranger"

Former Employee - Lead Ranger in Two Harbors, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Ranger in Two Harbors, CA

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Life on the island, simple people

Cons

Downsized and budget cuts as an excuse

Advice to Management

Be consistent and see beyond the clicks

"Activities Ticketing Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Santa Catalina Island Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on Island Activities

Cons

Workin weekends and constant changing of shifts. Hard to keep a life happening not knowing what shifts I am doing on a daily basis.

"Marketing/PR"

Former Employee - Marketing and PR Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing and PR Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here for 2 years based in the Irvine office. Overall it was a great experience and I enjoyed my time there. Went to the island about once a week to work in Avalon. Going to Avalon called for early mornings (6am boat) and long days (12+ hours including commute to the boat and hour long boat ride), but it was a great way to break up the work week.

Being in marketing, I often needed to work with other departments who were solely based on the island. They were always helpful and tried to respond within a timely manner.

Good island perks/discounts and fun events to attend. Good health benefits, 401k, and sick/vacation time.

Cons

Becuase the company is so large and has different outlets, getting ahold of people could be challenging since they were out working at not at their desk (or had weekdays off becuase they worked weekends); but this was just something to prepare for ahead if time.

Lack of communication across departments, and between upper management and front line (something we were actively working on improving).

Advice to Management

Irvine office needed more space and was getting crowded, my department was split in half and on opposite sides of the office.

Continue all hands meetings so everyone is up to date on what is happening in the near future of the company.

7. "Hotel Front Desk"

Pros

• You live on a island
    • Rent is discounted
    • You get discounts at certain restaurants and free island tours
    • The people are pretty cool to work with
    • Plenty of hours to work

This a great job for if you're in college and need a job for the summer.

Cons

• Very little training- they kind of throw you in and then you get in trouble if you mess up
    • You will get stir crazy living on the island- it's also pretty expensive to get off and on the island. It's like $73 round trip
    • Limited resources on the island, you'll miss small things that you can only get on the mainland
    • pay is low considering how expensive the island is
    • depending on what hotel you work in, you can get really chill guest or rich jerks

Advice to Management

More training!!! You're employees have great customer service skills, but they need more training with the checkin system, billing and buying tickets. You would have less problems if there was more time focused on training.

8. "Great, fun experience"

I worked at Santa Catalina Island Company part-time

Pros

Great management, great workers. The job is strict, yet lots of fun. Great views, atmosphere and great customers.

Cons

Overtime many weeks, but one is easily able to earn alot of extra money. Have to live on the island. No benefits.

9. "Hotel Concierge"

Pros

Supportive for moving up and wanting to help employees reach their goals. Lots of hours and busy, especially in Summer.

Cons

Can be hard to work as a team when not everyone is on the same page. Plus it's a small place and some people can get things since everyone knows everyone.

Advice to Management

Maybe a bit more time training, but otherwise it was a good place to work.

10. "Marketing"

Pros

The company has a great visual for their future and what they hope to grow the company in to!

Cons

Communication could be tricky between the two office locations.