Santa Cruz Biotechnology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Stephenson

Pros
  • Great people and free food days 3 times a month (in 23 reviews)

• Good work life balance (work exactly 8 hrs a day) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no raises, just more work (in 15 reviews)

• Everything revolves around the raise freeze (in 14 reviews)

1. "Lab Assistant review for the Mono lab"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time

Pros

SCBT is a great starting point for any ones career. The interview process is not too intimidating and movement within a lab is rather easy.
    My advice would be to get into one of the labs and try to spend about a year working in every subgroup within the lab.
    For example, I started off making the buffers for the lab for about a year, then worked the purification, then moved into the QC group, then worked in the R&D group then finally ended my career at this company in a specialized QC group. So in 5 years I covered a huge range of experiences.
    However, i will not that not all labs are set up like this and labs like CC and poly-clonal have everyone doing the same thing. For those applying to these labs, spend a year or so there then try to move to another lab (ex hybridoma, CC, SiRNA etc)

Basically, the best part of the job is you can build your resume nicely for the next job.

vacation was good and sick time was good, but sometimes getting management to approve the time off can be difficult.

Cons

Management. A number of the top managers can be abrasive or have micromanagement tendencies.

continuous production: you will never be ahead in your work. There is always something else that needs to be done. This can get stressful. Its sometimes hard knowing that you can always fall behind but never actually be head in your work.

Advice to Management

Avoid the Ready, Fire, Aim mentality.

2. "Makes me thankful for my new job"

Former Employee - Technical Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (More than a year)

Pros

Best thing about this job was the people! They also have a soda fountain in the break room.

Cons

There was no QC department, so products were constantly needing troubleshooting. I was more tech support than sales. literally do a google search and you will see the lawsuits and their poor treatment of animals. No upward mobility. Bonus structure was impossible. Hopefully things have changed.

Advice to Management

Just care more about your employees. I felt like you never even knew my name or anyone else's for that matter.

3. "If you love yourself, you'll never work here"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general, your coworkers are genuine, good people that are trying their best to do quality science with the tools given to them. If you're one of the few part-timer students (if they'll ever hire again), you basically get to pick your own hours
    Easy to find parking now that they've refused to hire and people continuously leave or are let go
    Occasional food days to help the abysmal moral

Cons

No benefits for part-timers, you work 28 hours/week max
    You WILL be paid minimum wage, do not believe anyone telling you otherwise, even upon graduation or immense amounts of surprise extra work/new projects/quality of work etc.
    No salaried workers, almost every person is hourly to save the company cash
    Upward movement is minimal, all management is set in stone. They only have each other's backs not yours
    Bosses tend to be hypercritical and yet have no idea what you're doing, the internet is a better resource then most upper management
    None of your equipment will work consistently, every single thing in this place is broken from computers to centrifuges
    This place lies to their customers and their employees. If you can work LITERALLY anywhere else, unless you have to have the pure flexibility as a student, do it.

Advice to Management

Pay your people livable wages with benefits and sick-time appropriate the amount of years they've been there, which already I know is never going to happen at SCBT. Believe they can do the work you have given to them and don't second-guess that at every single step. Fix the equipment and listen when employee's tell you something is broken, we're the ones using it daily while you're on the computer.

"Slave Labor"

Former Employee - Accounting in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive about working for this company.

Cons

The manager lady literally locks people in the office during tax season to prevent people from leaving at the end of their shift.

Advice to Management

Just pull the plug on the company already, you need to put people out of their misery like you did with all those poor goats and rabbits.

6. "work life"

Current Employee - Lab Support in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Support in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good friends and free coffee!!

Cons

no upward mobility and no raises.

7. "It's experience"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are pretty good keeping the day from being too monotonous. Some management seems to know what they are doing.

Cons

Some of the management seems to have gotten their positions just because they've been with the company for a long time. Inefficient leaders in inventory. Some employees still around that I'm surprised haven't been weeded out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and actually pay your employees that work fair pay. Don't make it easier on lazy and incompetent workers by throwing their work at the good ones. You're burning your best employees out and fast.

8. "Don't waste your time unless you need a flexible schedule."

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food. Good coworkers. Flexible if you're in school, can nearly pick your hours. Easy work.

Cons

Ownership and Santa Cruz Management. Micromanaging goes on, all the time.

Advice to Management

The entirety of the culture and attitude need to change. People don't like working for you. They're there because they need a job, and you don't even pay well.

9. "Good short-term job"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment was friendly - a majority of employees are recent college grads, as was I, and there was a generally laid back atmosphere. The work was fairly low stress but at the same time not very stimulating. There was frequent free food in attempts to boost employee morale in lieu of raises.

Cons

No room for advancement, raise freeze for I don't know how many years. Worked there for a little over a year and moved on, as many other employees do.

10. "Research Assistant - QC"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provided a health insurance option and brought bagels once in a while.

Cons

Low pay. Terrible work morale. No HR department. Messy and slum like.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management because it isn't their decision. The culture is established from the CEO and owner. He is only concerned with profits/bottom line so advice is useless.

"Technical Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, which is needed considering the toxic environment that the executive creates. It also has an amazing break room that is never utilized or stocked.

Cons

I knew something was off when I was hired and was told the company didn't have an HR. This allows the CEO (John as he likes to be called) to engage in rampant abuse of his employees and create a toxic work environment. John was quite possibly the most unprofessional man I have ever met in my life. He brought his two dogs with him (poodle and german shepard) with him every time he visited the office, allowing them free rein during meetings to roam around. In addition the US government has banned Santa Cruz from producing goat and rabbit antibodies because they were running SECRET farms and being negligent with the animals in their care. That is the type of person the CEO (John) of Santa Cruz Biotechnology is. Run as far as you can from this company.

Advice to Management

John you need to step down as CEO and relinquish all responsibilities to someone who is capable of running a major biotech company. If not the USDA will shut down your company in the next ten years because you have such a delusional grasp on the world.