Santa Cruz Biotechnology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 1, 2019

2.1
John Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There was frequent free food in attempts to boost employee morale in lieu of raises" (in 26 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is pretty good" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "no upward mobility and no raises" (in 19 reviews)

• "The so called "raise freeze" (that coincidentally happened as soon as Obama got elected) has done a number on employee morale at this company" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Shipping Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career and learn new things

Cons

Limited potential for growth or advancement.

2. "Lack of Culture"

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time

Pros

It's a job and has a paycheck.

Cons

No culture with this company, and departments are split with little to no communication.

Advice to Management

Stop managing departments from California and assign managers to the Dallas office who can bring some type of culture and collaborative environment.

3. "I regret it."

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the fellow employees are decent, they usually didn't bother me.

Cons

Pay is horrible. Basically a dead end. Their idiot of a CEO and upper management don't give a care for their employees.

4. "Its OK"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great schedule, cheap snacks

Cons

No management training. Takes forever to fire bad employees

Advice to Management

Teach people how to lead

"Everything you’ve read is true"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time

Pros

They won’t let me post unless I write 5 words so here you go: not a damn thing bro.

Cons

No raises, customers are the worst, no room for growth, and terrible management and owners. If you like being yelled at for nothing and constantly being worried about being fired at any given moment for no reason, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Honestly can’t believe they’re still in business. After everything with the goats, getting production halted by the state, and all the lying to the customers, the owners should be thrown in jail and management should probably join. Be prepared to hire a lawyer once you leave cause they’ll try and screw gig over.

"Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear assignment of duties and an overall friendly work environment. A core group of really great peers to work with. Could look good on a resume for experience, though full range of experience and training is limited.

Cons

I was hired knowing the terrible reputation this company holds and it meets that standard. Pay is not only bad but it is a known thing among employees to keep close track of hours and vacation accrual since those are known to not add up correctly (it happened to me twice and in my last week a worker had to contact HR about it for her). Employees leave frequently for better paying jobs so the coworkers you work alongside are constantly changing. Many employees here have a side gig that earns them more money than working at this international scientific manufacturer. All word and evidence on the CEO of this company point to him being impossible to like, and the state of the company right now reveals that he probably isn't only a jerk but in over his head trying to run this company. On purification assignment I would work alone on a long bench with no one within 50 feet of me because so many other departments have been shut down/streamlined. Management seems to lack some basic scientific concepts like how concentration works, making it very difficult as a worker to know how to make proper dilutions. They also believe serial dilutions are more inaccurate than pipetting 1uL into 10mL. Local management is also all married into the same family so don't face any consequences when they do things wrong. Prevailing sense of being "stuck" with no opportunities here. Only work here with an escape plan.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and have better sense. Don't rely on one local feeder school to staff all your positions in constant rotation, you need to keep some experienced workers to know what goes on at the company and form a company culture.

7. "Quality Control Research Associate"

Former Employee - Quality Control Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actual entry-level lab position -- they hire people out of school which is a great opportunity for many. Overall awesome coworkers and mellow work culture in a great location. Excellent for work-life balance -- can shift hours around during the day if you prefer early or late mornings. Well-designed training process. Decent benefits.

Cons

Not much room to grow professionally. Historically stingy with raises. Job description may change based on company priorities.

Advice to Management

Encourage professional growth! I think so many people would stay longer if they had a sense of skill and responsibility growth.

8. "Santa Cruz Biotechnology Abx Production Lb"

Pros

Wonderful lab composed of really upstanding individuals.

Cons

Really bad cell reception on the campus.

"Dead end"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers and some managers are wonderful. Work/life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Pay is low, raises are non-existent, CEO does not care about his employees or the animals that make his product.

"research assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to learn new techniques since most employees are trying hard to put their work into the hands of others, and facility is so close to the beach you can go there on your lunch break.

Cons

Owner does not abide by rules or suggestions on how to provide quality products on a realistic timeline.

Advice to Management

advise to management will get you fired.